• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    2.5 miles from my house is a locally owned convenience store/pizza and sub joint that sells hunting ammo (including 22's).
    Also sells fishing licenses and bait.

It's kind of nice throw back.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    when i was a young teen (so mid to late 70s) visiting my grandfather's town, glen lyon, PA, used to walk down the street to the hardware store and buy a brick of .22 which i then shot at cans and the like up at the abandoned strip mines.

i think they stopped recently, but loudoun lumber in purcellville, va used to sell guns and ammo.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Anderson's Hardware on Rt .40 in Joppa has most common calibers behind the counter. It's pricey, but they have it.

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    Being a kid from the mid-west, this is still much the norm where I'm from. Last summer when I was back in Missouri, I stopped in a gas station and saw they had ammo. I asked if they happened to have any .35 cal Remington. It has gotten so expensive (+/- $30 a box) I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. The guy digs around and comes out with 5 boxes. I asked him how much and he says Oh, it has been here a while, how about $12 a box...I bought all 5 in a heartbeat. :party29:

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    those little country stores in Alabama usually have a good selecton of ammo.

When I was a kid the Montgomery Ward store in Eudowood had a handgun counter. I saw my first in person SS revolver there.

I remember handguns in the MW at Harford Mall. Where the shoe department is in Sears right now is where the gun counter was.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I remember a hardware store on Rt 175 in Odenton used to have Marlin 30/30's and Stevens shotguns for sale, and some ammo. It's nostalgia now, cause that was in the late 80's. Before Comrade Glendenings reign.:)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As far as ammo sales , it wasn't the State as much as the increasing price of FFLs getting to where they had to either get serious or get out.

Used to be that at least .22s were a standard item in vertually every Hardware store , and at least half of Country stores.

Until they closed in the early '80s , College Park Hardware had a Gun Counter that could have been a well stocked Gun Store by itself.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    There's a couple mom/pop shops here in Charles County that carry small selections of the basic stuff like .22, 12 & 20 gauge shot and slugs, and some rifle cartridges, but, no big deals or bulk buys. Mostly the common hunter stuff. One liquor store even sells some ammo up the road from here. A lot of smaller places stopped selling ammo when the state stopped the whole certified check in station practice. The only reason most places stocked ammo was due to the fact they were the check in station and the ammo was simply residual sales, but, since we check them in on the phone/computer now, there is no check in stations anymore.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    The Montgomery Ward in Laurel used to have a gun counter when I was a kid. Also, I bought my first firearm ever, a Winchester 12 gauge, in Greenbelt at one of the big catalog stores... I think it might have been Best?

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    I always hear people say that 22 is so available, you can pick it up at the local harware store.

Is this a case of nostalgia meets wishful thinking, or a case of me not experiencing it because I live in a communist state?

I've found in Kendall's hardware store in Clarksville MD. (IIRC they also had 12 gauge and a box of .30-06).

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Down here at the end of the earth, you can buy ammo at the hardware stores and gas stations.

Even got a gas station that sales guns :)

o4twinpeaks

Dec 17, 2011
    I used to walk through the woods after school down to anderson's and put a box of 22 on grand dads account and they would be gone by the time I got back to the house. Think they were like $.50 a box back then. Albert Dwight and Virgina were some great people!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom