• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I had reservations initially about the durability of polymer . After meeting my first 100k plus round count G17 , not so much after that .

The G17 is the 4in S&W M10 of bottomfeeders .

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I feel your pain, I broke down and bought a G22 this spring.
    I am starting to grow to like it as a pillow gun.

:innocent0

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    So true. As long as they go bang and hit what they are looking at... Most of my other handguns are revolvers, Mk II Rugers and a TC Contender.

I'm putting my 2 cents in on that. For polymer pistols it is HK and Glock for reliability. HK and Glock have been doing polymer for how many decades? Go back to the HK USP, if not before, and Glock has been doing the polymer thing since 1985.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm with ya, OP. I respected Glocks, but they never felt right in my hand (the angle was wrong, no grip safety...no thumb safety, where's the damned hammer?too light...very NOT 1911). I bought my first Gock (34 Gen5) this summer :D My excuse was that I had accumulated so many Glock magazines for the Ruger carbine, I might as well just buy a Glock. (And I kinda like it :o)

A regular Glock doesn’t feel quite right in my hand, but a polymer 80% 17 feels great in my hand. Hence why it is the only Glock I own. I do really like it.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I'm putting my 2 cents in on that. For polymer pistols it is HK and Glock for reliability. HK and Glock have been doing polymer for how many decades? Go back to the HK USP, if not before, and Glock has been doing the polymer thing since 1985.

They are good guns, never one to argue with success. In the polymer handgun line up I have had a Ruger P95, the M&P Pro9, and Wilson Combat KZ-45. All were absolutely reliable and durable guns. The KZ was accurate like any WC would be, the Ruger was acceptably accurate for a blasting grade shooter, the M&P a fishing sinker in like respect. I just don't care for the feel of a poly framed handgun, and I admit it is a personal preference, not a bust on the pistol genre. But with the following Glock has and the GSSF shoots, I had to try it.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I don't think much of Glock triggers. They just seem off, maybe a little spongy. I should learn how to fix that. They shoot pretty well, though, so I've gotten over it. Glocks do what they're supposed to do: they go bang every time. And yes, I own a couple. The PD trade-ins are a great value.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Had two of them, a 30sf and a 19. couldn't get use to the sense I was holding a stick.

Since then a big M&P fan. The 9c fits like it was custom made for me.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Well, after many circumstances blocking weekly and biweekly range trips, I finally shot this Gen 4 Glock 17 animal. It is new, standard Glock plastic service sights, three 10 round mags and the selected backstrap. I ran approximately 180 to 200 rounds of 115 grain Federal aluminum case ammunition through it.

I was pleasantly surprised:
    > Strong mag springs;
    > Points and indexes pretty good. It settled well on target, the front sight wanting to settle just a little over the rear, especially in rapid fire;
    > From 7 to 20 yards POA/POI were very close to center of the dot (white dot front, white outline rear sights, standard G sights, I guess);
    > Groups, hand held, were about 3.5” at 25 yards, groups just on top of the sight. Quite useable;
    > Mannerly in recoil;
    > One jamb, dropping the slide from slide lock, round stalled at bottom of barrel feed ramp, fourth magazine. Afterward, 100%.

The annoyances:
    > Small trigger guard opening caused my finger to drag on the bottom of it during the trigger stroke. Annoying, affects accurate shootability and could rub the trigger finger sore from high round counts. Glock should attend to this but I can see how changes could affect other aspects of the pistol;
    > Grip angle, even though lessened (as I understand it) is still raked more than desirable. Yes, it is a preference;
    > Its polymer...not my favorite. Again, a preference;
    > Trigger, stock...not much to say, not too rough, decent and useable, not bad for a squishy striker fired pistol. I didn’t put a pull gauge on it but it feels to be around a six pound pull.

I did shoot this next to my 5” highly tuned 1911. Loaded both guns to capacity, 10 in the Glock, 9 in the 1911. I would run drills or strings of fire, then immediate repeat with the opposte gun. From the bench or low ready, the 1911 was faster, even after 10-12 mags from each gun. I admit being used to the 1911 and this gun is made for my hands, but inherently it feels faster than the Glock, I think mostly because of the respective grip angles. I did index the Glock consistently. This Glock might be a keeper.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I'll definitely second the trigger guard being too small. My finger rubs a lot, too, and I probably couldn't shoot it with gloves.

A regular Glock doesn’t feel quite right in my hand, but a polymer 80% 17 feels great in my hand. Hence why it is the only Glock I own. I do really like it.

i can related to this so much. But I was told the P80 grip angle is different, closer to the 1911 grip angle, which may explain why it feels better.

Any regular Glock I have held, couldn't stand it. It felt like I was holding a brick

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A striker fired quasi- DAO / safe action / insert mfg euphemism is * supposed * to have a long, kinda spongy trigger pull . It's not a flaw, it's a design feature , and the basic nature of the beast .

Not a slam , just pointing out the trigger pull is part of the safety protocols on purpose. And entirely usable and sufficient for purposes . Witness Magnumite's reported 3.5in @ 25yd groups .

Grip angle = personal preference
    Polymer =I'll occasionally joke around about my old school inclinations , but objectively , light weight, can't rust, and mega durable would be presumptively desirable attributes, and steel an affectation . ( Yes, there are other applications where steel is better than poly, but service sized 9mm isn't one of them .)

There is the ugly thing, but 30-some years latter that has morphed into Utilitarian and Business like .

Yes , a provbal 3.5-4.0 lb glass rod 1911 trigger pull is exquisite . But even the stock Glock trigger can deliver all the accuracy expected/ required from a general purpose / service grade bottomfeeder .

Before I come off as too much of a fanboy :
    Other poly striker guns can share the attributes.
    The polymer front sight will eventually wear from being drawn from holster . ( But with +/- 5k draws to have serious wear, you don't have to rush out with a new gun before using .)

And please Tripple Check the chamber before field stripping .

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Almost bought one ,almost.so ugly to me . Shot em .they do what they are suppose to do. Just don’t like the feel of it. Have 1911 wanted something different went with theM&P . Ehhh I like it but went and bought Sig226 and fell in love with it and that was up in the air because I really like the Berettas. Glocks rank up there with high points as far as looks go to me. Dad always told me as long as it does the job but you got like the look also. Would I accept one if given to me , hell ya. Still shoot my p89 Ruger . Differences are obvious. The M&P to me is well a better looking glock.(did change trigger) think one day I will own one But for now very content with what I have. Not a glock hater , just don’t like em.

barr321

Inaccurately accurate
    Sep 22, 2018
    I stated I would never get a Glock until my father eventually convinced me. It’s ugly, but they can shoot and they’re reliable.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "A striker fired quasi- DAO / safe action / insert mfg euphemism is * supposed * to have a long, kinda spongy trigger pull . It's not a flaw, it's a design feature , and the basic nature of the beast ."

I did intend to state the trigger quality of this Glock relative to the trigger character of striker fire pistols in general. This is my third striker fired gun and the nature of striker fired pistol triggers is just that, the nature of the beast. I like a good trigger, who doesn't, but I am not overly dependent on any specific set up. I liken striker fired pistol trigger character as a short travel DA revolver. I cut my handgun shooting teeth on those so striker fire isn't an issue, and it is one of the best ways to keep your focus anchored.

I will say the M&P Pro9 I had really set me against striker fire guns because of their design shortcomings in the accuracy department. Trigger out of the box was far worse as well. I am glad the subsequent VP9 and now this Glock have recitified some of that cynacism. Out of the box this gun is a better gun than the M&P Pro9 was after considerable work, save the trigger, which turned out very nice. I prefer the M&P's grip angle and it actual handled well, but couldn't deliver the pay load as required. I still don't care for the Glock grip angle but it is part of the package, a decent utilitarian pistol with usable capabilities. At this point I feel the Glock is a better gun than the Smith M&P 9's. That conclusion is based on my experiences and priorities with handguns.

Being inside the G20 I had but never shot, the trigger on this one should clean up well while using the stock Glock hardware (GSSF requires that in the class I am considering shooting in). I was excited about shooting this pistol and it delivered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom