• BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I was successful in the MT Elk drawing. :D

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Nice! Congratulations!
    Thanks! The location is SW Montana during the week of Thanksgiving 2018. We're not sure what we've gotten ourselves into. :eek:

Now the concern is getting hunting clothes, boots and whether to drive or fly. If we fly it would be to Bozeman, MT. The lodge is located 45.044123, -111.990927. Travel to the hunting site will be by truck then by horseback as far as we know. They have a hunting camp (perhaps one of several) located at 44.829444, -112.131667 but that might not be where we're going. The outfitter says where, how far and whether we stay overnight in the field will depend on the weather.

Perhaps someone who has been to that region can chime in and offer suggestions for clothing. We'll talk to the outfitter too, of course.

Gulp.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    unlike the east cost, it's odd to have to pay just to get in the drawing for a 1/x chance to maybe hunt.

as an east coaster, you overlook how easy it is to buy a tag, go for a ride and maybe shoot some deer. in some places several if you want.

True - When you start looking at it, there sure seems like there's a lot more opportunity to harvest game in the east than the west or AK (with the exception of getting large game). The game here is so much more dense, and the bag limits are larger. Seems like it would be pretty common in the west to not draw tags, even as a state resident.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Has anyone hunted Wyoming? I drew a general tag and am heading out mid September for archery elk.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Has anyone hunted Wyoming? I drew a general tag and am heading out mid September for archery elk.

Make sure to find the boundaries of wilderness areas in WY. Wilderness is a no go for non residents without a resident or guide. We were in the Pinedale area, beautiful mountains and steep.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    well, good news / bad news here.

i was wrong about the draw date. it was 2 days ago. results came in today.

elk. zip.
    antelope. zip.
    mule deer, antlered. YES! oct5-20, any legal weapon

so, base elevation is somewhere around about 3k feet. a lot of billy goat country, and the max is over 10k.

most of the land is blm here, 80% of the entire state is .gov, and a good bit of NF or NW. of course anything flat and within spitting distance of a creek/wash, or anything resembling water, is private.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    I put in for Nevada tags as a first year resident this year. My experience has been whitetail hunting in MD, TX and OK...deperate for an elk hunt. I applied for four different elk hunts and a mule deer hunt, all were chosen based on lowest ratio of applicants to tags and hunter success the previous year. Didnt draw a single tag. I don't miss living in MD but I do miss the great hunting where I lived, particularly the long archery season and incredible bag limits.

My neighbor, a long time Nevada resident, drew two elk tags and an antelope tag. He offered to take me with him this year to learn his area & process. I'll probably go with him for the learning/scouting with the hope of being more prepared next year if I draw a tag.

Haven't ruled trying OTC tags in Utah or Colorado this year but don't have a hunting buddy with experience in those areas to go with. Good luck to those who have tags this year!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    while i struck out in NM, just found out today i was successful in Colo, first rifle Elk, got my 4th choice! GMU's 21, 22, 30, 31, 32 (matches up with a few of my glocks...). basically north of I70 against the Utah border. i'm starting from scratch here (first elk hunt and no local knowledge of the area) so any input, advice, etc is greatly appreciated. plan is to drive out, arriving 2+ days early to acclimate to altitude and scout around.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    while i struck out in NM, just found out today i was successful in Colo, first rifle Elk, got my 4th choice! GMU's 21, 22, 30, 31, 32 (matches up with a few of my glocks...). basically north of I70 against the Utah border. i'm starting from scratch here (first elk hunt and no local knowledge of the area) so any input, advice, etc is greatly appreciated. plan is to drive out, arriving 2+ days early to acclimate to altitude and scout around.

Cool! Best of luck. Maybe start a "My 2018 Elk Hunt" thread to keep us posted...(and motivated)?

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado

That area is flat for Colorado. 30 (grand Junction and west) is going to be mostly flat. It's basically dessert. Beautiful country. 31 and 32 have some foothills (the western slope) and mesas. I've only been along I-70 there so I don't know what the 21 and 22 areas are like. I know the area around Rifle is popular for elk, so I think you have a good location.

You have to go to Shooter's Grill in Rifle. The waitresses wear short shorts and tank tops and open carry. They have events where you can go in and get dinner while you go through your CCW class. It's a cool place.

Rifle has a regional airport, Grand Junction has one that is a little bigger. It's probably cheaper though to fly to Denver and drive the beautiful 2 1/2 hour drive over the Rockies to get over there.

If you get time to do a bit of sight seeing, the Colorado National Monument (between Grand Junction and Fruita just south of I-70) is an amazing drive through a red rock canyon. You get to drive roads that are right along a 750' drop off with no guard rails.

I'll be through that area several times this summer. I'll get you some photos of the area and see what I can dig up for elk hunting.

Congratulations!

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    That area is flat for Colorado. 30 (grand Junction and west) is going to be mostly flat. It's basically dessert. Beautiful country. 31 and 32 have some foothills (the western slope) and mesas. I've only been along I-70 there so I don't know what the 21 and 22 areas are like. I know the area around Rifle is popular for elk, so I think you have a good location.

That was my thought also when I saw the post. Back in about 2000 a buddy and I made the easter jeep safari in Moab. We swung up to 70 and then down from Grand Junction through Telluride for the view/drive, on to Durango to drop off the jeep for a motor rebuild (we blew it in Moab, long, but good story), and ultimately back to Phoenix. I remember the entire Grand Junction area being flat as a pancake and desert. Not that elk don't like the desert too, just not what pop's into my head when I think of elk hunting. Sounds like a great adventure in the making - can't wait to see a follow-up on it and hope you find some success.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I'll be through that area several times this summer. I'll get you some photos of the area and see what I can dig up for elk hunting.

Super thanks!!!!!! Elevation in all 5 units goes from 5k to 9k, not low but not scraping for air at 14k. 70 is southern border, 64 is northern (actually white river), Utah is western and 13 is eastern.

I'll be driving out, arriving at least 2 days early, if not a week, to acclimate to altitude and do some real scouting.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Today I drove 70 to Rifle, north to Meeker, west to Rangely, then spent the day rockhounding along 40. I got a lot of pictures that I'll upload after I get home. It might lack the altitude of the Rockies, but that terrain is no joke. Most is very steep, either bare and Rocky or sagebrush and Western cedar. It's spaghetti Western, Home On the Range territory. I even saw speed goats out there.
    0be09f7ab93f2da836d8653c23e8db46.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Today I drove 70 to Rifle, north to Meeker, west to Rangely, then spent the day rockhounding along 40. I got a lot of pictures that I'll upload after I get home. It might lack the altitude of the Rockies, but that terrain is no joke. Most is very steep, either bare and Rocky or sagebrush and Western cedar. It's spaghetti Western, Home On the Range territory. I even saw speed goats out there

wow you're really whetting my appetite!!!! super thanks!!

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Here are photos of scenery along 13 north from Rifle to Meeker, then west on 64 to Rangely. I guess this would be your eastern and northern boarders. I made these HDRs to bring out detail and to make the colors pop. Please try to ignore my dirty and cracked windshield.

bc1a1c516de5e6a54e0a4d9238915468.jpg
    eddb74d576ad7186cbb7a3a72eea8aef.jpg
    02debc7ad62fcadfbb4cc1f5afd40ce1.jpg
    cfd4ea77e39e227b970644588a12594b.jpg
    bde931d061a28fb9df101685591a6e4a.jpg
    efceeb47be4e44bcdfbb4790c28857ca.jpg
    bb5ad3d2ab40846dc8b3d8a5729d4798.jpg
    354617d218e0b14053702747acfd731d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics