• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    What specifically makes the Polytech M14S Compliant but the others not? It does not fall under clone?

The bolt and some other parts are not compatible with the Springfield

Metric threads and screws. Completely incompatible parts.

I'd always wondered about that myself after I saw it on MSP's web site. I wondered if it was ignorance or an error on their part. But that explains it.

That being said, I'd rather have an actual SA rifle (if I ever got an M1A). Too bad they're not legal in MD anymore.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Springfield Armory Inc. ≠ Springfield Armory

The M1A receivers are cast and not mil-spec if you care about that.

The Polytech and Norinco receivers are forged per USGI spec, the only deviation is the metric-threaded gas plug. The only fault with the Polytech and Norinco M14s is that there is some speculation regarding the hardness of the bolts. In this case, most people just buy USGI bolts and send them off to Fulton Armory or Smith Enterprises to get fitted.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Springfield Armory Inc. ≠ Springfield Armory

The M1A receivers are cast and not mil-spec if you care about that.

The Polytech and Norinco receivers are forged per USGI spec, the only deviation is the metric-threaded gas plug. The only fault with the Polytech and Norinco M14s is that there is some speculation regarding the hardness of the bolts. In this case, most people just buy USGI bolts and send them off to Fulton Armory or Smith Enterprises to get fitted.

Interesting. Doing that doesn’t mean that they’re converting a non-banned weapon into a banned configuration?

Still trying to make sense of this FSA 2013 nonsense…even though I know that there’s not much sense to be found.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I wish I would have gotten a M1A before they were banned outright. I was looking at Polytech M14s today. I don't have any money, so I'd probably have to sell a Vepr or something, but the M14 just looks so nice.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I wish I would have gotten a M1A before they were banned outright. I was looking at Polytech M14s today. I don't have any money, so I'd probably have to sell a Vepr or something, but the M14 just looks so nice.
    An M1A in 6.5 Creedmoor isn’t the end of the world….

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Interesting. Doing that doesn’t mean that they’re converting a non-banned weapon into a banned configuration?

Still trying to make sense of this FSA 2013 nonsense…even though I know that there’s not much sense to be found.
    So long as you keep the metric threaded gas plug, you are fine. No real reason to change the gas plug, even Schuster makes adjustable metric gas plugs specifically for the Norinco/Polytechs.

Last edited:

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    An M1A in 6.5 Creedmoor isn’t the end of the world….

You're right it isn't the end of the world, the 6.5 is an excellent accurate cartridge. I'm thinking of ordering one from Fulton to go along with my .308 Fulton, would order it set up for scope and keep the .308 in irons. Would make an excellent long-range semi auto.

Image 2-23-22 at 7.13 AM.jpeg

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    AFAIK the 6.5 is only available in their loaded version.
    I was at the gun bunker in shrewsbury and the guy asked me what i wanted...
    I said i wish i could have an M-1A but MD....he said i can sell you the loaded one on the shelf right now, i'll even ship it to our MD store for you to pick up if you want....

I emailed Springfield asking if they offer it in walnut, or if it would fit in a Std walnut stock (i'm sure i could have it fitted by a gunsmith) but never received an answer....I hate not being able to get one in .308 (a caliber which i already own and reload for) but the want for a M-1A is a little greater than caliber want at this point

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    AFAIK the 6.5 is only available in their loaded version.
    I was at the gun bunker in shrewsbury and the guy asked me what i wanted...
    I said i wish i could have an M-1A but MD....he said i can sell you the loaded one on the shelf right now, i'll even ship it to our MD store for you to pick up if you want....

I emailed Springfield asking if they offer it in walnut, or if it would fit in a Std walnut stock (i'm sure i could have it fitted by a gunsmith) but never received an answer....I hate not being able to get one in .308 (a caliber which i already own and reload for) but the want for a M-1A is a little greater than caliber want at this point

Should not be any problem putting it in a surplus M14 stock, thats what my Fulton is in, surplus walnut.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I always heard the first thing you do with a Polytech is replace with USGI Bolt. Is the springfield different than USGI?
    The USGI bolt needs fitting just to install. After that the headspace is almost always too short and will require replacing the barrel with a USGI one or maybe you can ream the chamber.

If you want to keep using the Polytech bolt then you should at least change the springs in the bolt and monitor the headspace.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    So long as you keep the metric threaded gas plug, you are fine. No real reason to change the gas plug, even Schuster makes adjustable metric gas plugs specifically for the Norinco/Polytechs.

Interesting. Well, I guess that if I ever want an M1A, I'll go with a Chinese copy and get those mods done.

At the risk of derailing this topic: Would something like an L1A1 SLR clone be legal in MD? It may be a British-made FAL, but the FN FAL is banned by name and the SLR is not. And the two weapons are not 100% interchangeable due to the fact that one was built to metric measurements, while the other is "inch-pattern."

Sirex