• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I just shot my first round of sporting clays on Monday. It was a lot of fun. Much harder than redneck trap that I always shoot with my buddies.

I say try them all and see what you like.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    AGC public trap

@JamesCanby, I went to the AGC public trap this past weekend in spite of the rain. There were a couple of other people there and we got some rounds in. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Thanks again for the suggestion. I'm looking forward to going back.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    @JamesCanby, I went to the AGC public trap this past weekend in spite of the rain. There were a couple of other people there and we got some rounds in. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Thanks again for the suggestion. I'm looking forward to going back.

Glad you had a good time. Hope you come back soon for public trap and, while you're there take some time to explore all the other capabilities of the AGC Range Complex. Ask the on-duty RSO for a brochure and guidance on how to become a member of one of the clubs that would entitle you to obtain a Range Badge and use all of the ranges on the property.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Not that any of these are super close to you but...

Oxford Gun Club - trap, skeet, wobble, sporting clays and reasonably priced.

Pintail Point - pricey, haven't been there in a while but their SC course was nice.

M&M Hunting Preserve - it's just across the DE Memorial bridge but by far and away the best place to shooting anything clays that I've seen in the mid atlantic. I shoot tournaments there often and they have it ALL.

Shraders - shoot there from time to time, on the eastern shore

Hopkins - Same as above, they also host nice SC tourneys

I'm pretty hooked on sporting clays honestly, so I am CERTAIN there are other places with very nice trap/skeet facilities. I listed places above that have full SC courses :thumbsup:

If you ever want to venture to Oxford just pm me. I live in Abingdon MD and on Sunday's I can get there in 30 minutes. I LOVE Loch Raven and belong there as well, but with back roads my travel time is about the same and they don't have a SC course. They do have OUTSTANDING 5 stand, skeet, and trap facilities though :party29:

Good luck OP and enjoy breaking clays :thumbsup:

Ryan

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Not that any of these are super close to you but...

Oxford Gun Club - trap, skeet, wobble, sporting clays and reasonably priced.

Pintail Point - pricey, haven't been there in a while but their SC course was nice.

M&M Hunting Preserve - it's just across the DE Memorial bridge but by far and away the best place to shooting anything clays that I've seen in the mid atlantic. I shoot tournaments there often and they have it ALL.

Shraders - shoot there from time to time, on the eastern shore

Hopkins - Same as above, they also host nice SC tourneys

I'm pretty hooked on sporting clays honestly, so I am CERTAIN there are other places with very nice trap/skeet facilities. I listed places above that have full SC courses :thumbsup:

If you ever want to venture to Oxford just pm me. I live in Abingdon MD and on Sunday's I can get there in 30 minutes. I LOVE Loch Raven and belong there as well, but with back roads my travel time is about the same and they don't have a SC course. They do have OUTSTANDING 5 stand, skeet, and trap facilities though :party29:

Ryan

I'll second Ryan's nomination for Oxford. While I haven't been there in a while, I've shot their Thursday evening Trap meat shoots (high score/first broken green bird each get a pack of meat) and their Ironman (25 Skeet, 25 Trap, 50 Sporting Clays for a 100 rnd. tournament).

Great place, great people, fun time.

Until his health declined, my dad and four or five of his buddies were Thursday night regulars at Oxford, and they are all from the Pasadena/Severna Park area.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I'll second Ryan's nomination for Oxford. While I haven't been there in a while, I've shot their Thursday evening Trap meat shoots (high score/first broken green bird each get a pack of meat) and their Ironman (25 Skeet, 25 Trap, 50 Sporting Clays for a 100 rnd. tournament).

Great place, great people, fun time.

Until his health declined, my dad and four or five of his buddies were Thursday night regulars at Oxford, and they are all from the Pasadena/Severna Park area.

Oxford is a great time. My friend Lloyd has been setting the targets for sporting the last few weeks and he's done a nice job. A nice mixture of beginner, intermediate and a few tough ones so all can enjoy. :thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Ryan

We should get together. Maybe a group shoot.

I am just up the road in the Churchville area.

Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    THIS is recreational clay shooting

Attachments

• IMG_20180528_154253.jpg
      IMG_20180528_154253.jpg
      130.5 KB · Views: 161

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Clays shooting......

Skeet = Putting Green
    Trap = Driving Range
    Sporting Clays = Golf Course

And I too am a shotgun redneck.....

if it flies.........

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

I enjoy Trap and Skeet. And Wobble. But here’s the thing, I do them for fun, but I’ll also admit being disappointed when I miss one and especially when I have a bad round.

But sporting clays, hell I have a good time even if I end up only breaking 30% (I usually do better than 50% with sporting clays with my 12ga, I am a trap shooter by nature at the moment where I tend to break about 20 in an average round)

And I always find it amusing seeing trees with the bark stripped off them 20 feet from where the path the clays fly...

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    And I always find it amusing seeing trees with the bark stripped off them 20 feet from where the path the clays fly...

They are constantly changing the trap machines on the sporting clay courses. What you see today, may have been completely different for the preceding few months, resulting in the trees being hit...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They are constantly changing the trap machines on the sporting clay courses. What you see today, may have been completely different for the preceding few months, resulting in the trees being hit...

Makes sense. I figured it was the same reason most of the trap houses have a few thousand pellet holes in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom