Anyone here with a MD CCW and NOT a business owner or cop?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    So, it seems a lot of people have MD carry permits. We all also know that MD is not friendly to self defense as a reason to carry. Is everyone here with a MD carry permit a business owner or in law enforcement in one capacity or another? If not, I'd be very curious to hear what justification you used to get approved and how hard was it for you?

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    It is a system that takes a fair amount of money to move around , I am a business owner with G & S . It is even hard to get a unrestricted without hours of dedication and money .

The permit system is price prohibitive for the poor as a whole and exposed to risk due to area of homes and crime stats .

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    If you can actually fulfill the requirements for G&S under personal protection, you can get a MD carry permit and it will be unrestricted.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    My permit was/is issued explicitly for transporting high value/"dangerous" property. At one time the permit was valuable but the criminalization of restrictions has made it largely useless. I've renewed it three times. The third time they actually denied me a renewal but after a phone conversation they issued it. I renew it for the off occasion I need it and in case the restrictions regime is ever dispensed with.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    As a victim of the data breach, disabled verified by ssdi (polio, post polio) wonder if there would be an argument for self protection due to disability. Might be a case to pursue. Just throwing it out there

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I too am disabled, an honorably discharged veteran and have been the victim of the VA data breach. I am unable to run(can't even walk fast with my can), and too frail to fight(severe osteoporosis).

It seems to me a CCW is in order for all in my situation and denying such permits only creates ideal victims for the bad guys.

Anyone have any success in similar situations?

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    I only know of one member that fits your crytera, had a shotgun stuffed in his face with creditable follow up threats. Sad that you have to be a victim before your able to defend yourself.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I too am disabled, an honorably discharged veteran and have been the victim of the VA data breach. I am unable to run(can't even walk fast with my can), and too frail to fight(severe osteoporosis).

It seems to me a CCW is in order for all in my situation and denying such permits only creates ideal victims for the bad guys.

Anyone have any success in similar situations?

From what I've read, the only data breach that may help you to get a W&C is the OPM data breach if you hold a high level clearance in a job that requires it and your supervisor will write a letter stating you are at risk. In other words, being a victim of the data breach won't help.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    From what I've read, the only data breach that may help you to get a W&C is the OPM data breach if you hold a high level clearance in a job that requires it and your supervisor will write a letter stating you are at risk. In other words, being a victim of the data breach won't help.

If you are trying to use the OPM breach as justification, I hope have deep pockets, a long time, and that the HPRB doesn't get abolished by the state legislature.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    If you are trying to use the OPM breach as justification, I hope have deep pockets, a long time, and that the HPRB doesn't get abolished by the state legislature.

I wasn't saying to use it. The point I was trying to make was because the circumstances are so specific and you'd need a supervisor to put that in writing, you'd be in unicorn realm if you actually got one. I worked for DHS during the OPM breach and I looked into it. Even my branch chief wouldn't have qualified.

jtaldow

www.mises.org
    Jan 28, 2018
    Montgomery County, MD
    It is a system that takes a fair amount of money to move around , I am a business owner with G & S . It is even hard to get a unrestricted without hours of dedication and money .

The permit system is price prohibitive for the poor as a whole and exposed to risk due to area of homes and crime stats .

This is exactly right, and this is the exact point that we should be hammering home when appealing to our liberal friends. "Come on man, don't you care about the poor?"

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    It can be done, but you basically need to describe why you, by name, are at higher risk compared to your next-door neighbor. The OPM data breach is good if there is some other reason why you would be a specific target.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    There is more than 1

I have one based on numerous threats and a fully executed peace order against the POS baby daddy of my section 8 neighbor. He had 32 prior arrests in downtown Baltimore including weapons and drug charges. There is still an open case against him for an arrest related to my run in with him 8 months ago but he is locked up right now on car jacking charges.

I will add that once the paperwork was filed, the MSP was very speedy and professional. It only took about a week to get it issued. Unfortunately, it still cost about $400 with all the training, fingerprinting, and other fees.

Last edited:

silverwolf

Feb 14, 2011
    MSP's definition of G&S seems to be changing by the day lately. The latest info I have is that the OPM breach is not G&S by itself. But if you have a high level clearance and a letter signed by your security officer attesting to that fact, you stand a pretty good chance. Good luck finding a security officer willing to sign that letter though... If you are a legitimate business owner, you just need to show a history of bank deposits.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    MSP's definition of G&S seems to be changing by the day lately. The latest info I have is that the OPM breach is not G&S by itself. But if you have a high level clearance and a letter signed by your security officer attesting to that fact, you stand a pretty good chance. Good luck finding a security officer willing to sign that letter though... If you are a legitimate business owner, you just need to show a history of bank deposits.

Showing bank deposits is not required. It is something that they ask for, as a way of denying you, should you not deposit enough at one time. They will also deny you, if you do not provide them. G&S is not defined in the law and MSP LD says they know G&S when they see it.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I do, but mine was a verified, azzhole apprehended and admitted to pointing a loaded shotgun and threatened to kill me.
    Mine was ready in 3 days, unrestricted, except for usual no go areas, schools, post offices, parks, ect

Funny thing, my bank said I can carry in bank, but expect PO PO to show up, (I got a call from the banks "security division" because someone at Bank thought I had a firearm, I guess I printed while sitting down talking to branch manager.) He said he understood, was a fire arm enthusiasts, but "guns scare bankers" we had a good natured conversation, ended up having a good laugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom