• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Been wondering about this. I have some apple pie filling that I made and canned a few years back...what's the consensus on expiration dates for stuff you've canned?

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    If it smells and looks fine when you open it I would say go ahead and use it.
    I have used my home canned tomato sauce after 2-3 years on the shelf.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If it smells and looks fine when you open it I would say go ahead and use it.
    I have used my home canned tomato sauce after 2-3 years on the shelf.

This.

In cub scouts I ate WW2 c-rations. This was in the late 70's

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Been wondering about this. I have some apple pie filling that I made and canned a few years back...what's the consensus on expiration dates for stuff you've canned?

When I was a kid, my grandmother has canned pickles and other stuff. She dated everything and the jars were the old bail type with replaceable seals. In 1960 I had pickles that were canned in the 40s. I asked how long the canned stuff would last? Sha said when they start turning color or foaming. The key was to store them in a cool place.

When I first enlisted in the USCG we had C-Rats in our life rafts. Some of them had dates made in the late 40s and early 50s. To tell if the water was bad, we shook it. If the water slushed in the cans, it was good if not it was bad.

Manufacturers put to use by or expired dates on their cans just to protect themselves from being sued. Many cans today have the peal back lids that are not as long lasting as can goods with solid lids. Also, over time cans can deteriorate on the inside causing the food to spoil.

Glass jars are the ticked as you can see the food and there is no deterioration of the linings. Pickles are always in glass as the acid will eat the interior of cans. Meats are canned under pressure at higher temperatures to kill bacteria. If canned in glass, they will last for years. My grandmother canned beef hearts and other meats some were 15 years old and still good.

dieselfarmboy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    Snow Hill, MD
    Tomato products in metal cans need to be watched. They eat thru the cans in a few years. Other then that ive eating stuff a few years past out of metal cans and so far still alive lol.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Tomato products in metal cans need to be watched. They eat thru the cans in a few years. Other then that ive eating stuff a few years past out of metal cans and so far still alive lol.

Canning is a concept. Most "cans" for home use are glass now.

The reality is, when you boil the cans you create a vacuum seal. The boiling with heat kills bacteria and aerobic bacteria cannot survive in a vacuum. Anerobic bacteria can, but they produce gas (CO2 and methane) in their cellular respiration. Viruses cannot survive without a host for more than a week or two, plus heat melts their layer of fat around their genetic code.

So, if you open a canned good and there is no vacuum, don't eat it, because the bacteria has offgassed and is present. If the vacuum is intact then it is safe to eat, because the big three of pathogens: aerobic bacteria, anaerobic bacteria and viruii are all mitigated.

Pretty solid science for a couple hundred years ago.

That said, botulism toxin IS the most deadly substance known to man (it makes VX gas look like pepper spray) so be careful.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Botulinum toxin is indeed deadly in even very small amounts.

One of my microbiology lab partners from many years ago was employed testing canned products for the presence of the toxin. He was immunized against the toxin as there was easily enough toxin released into the air when you opened a bad can that inhaling the mist could be fatal.

I find it amazing that 40 years later injecting this toxin has become a very common medical procedure for a number of different diseases.

Fortunately when we're discussing canned food the toxin is a protein that is easily and quickly destroyed by heat.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Botulinum toxin is indeed deadly in even very small amounts.

One of my microbiology lab partners from many years ago was employed testing canned products for the presence of the toxin. He was immunized against the toxin as there was easily enough toxin released into the air when you opened a bad can that inhaling the mist could be fatal.

I find it amazing that 40 years later injecting this toxin has become a very common medical procedure for a number of different diseases.

Fortunately when we're discussing canned food the toxin is a protein that is easily and quickly destroyed by heat.

Botox!

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Thanks guys. I did can in glass jars, and they're from ~6 years ago. I wasn't worried about pickles...there's enough vinegar in those to last forever, but the apples and sugar I was concerned about.

Is there a way to test for botulism?

jr355

Apr 21, 2014
    Fullerton md
    Found a 10 year old can of Treet on the shelf. After looking it over for issues and opening it up the product looked and smelled fine. Taste was o.k. slightly drier than normal. Breakfast meat for last 3 days!

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Thanks guys. I did can in glass jars, and they're from ~6 years ago. I wasn't worried about pickles...there's enough vinegar in those to last forever, but the apples and sugar I was concerned about.

Is there a way to test for botulism?

Yes. Let someone else try it first.

BartExp

Ultimate Member
    We have a can of cranberry sauce that we put out on the table every year. No one in our family likes it so we put it away for next year. IT EXPIRED IN 1994!!! We do keep it in the fridge to cut down on chances that it explodes. Not swollen at all. We don’t really remember the purchase date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    Depending on your reason for storing a bunch of cans, but if you have plenty of space, you could always save the “expired stuff” for desperate times. If it tastes bad etc, you could always dump it. Or trade it away.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    2002, left on what was supposed to be a 65-75 day mission on USS Parche (SSN 683).

About Day 90 we started running low on food, more aggressive rationing started and the MS's started scrounging around in the back of the storeroom and came across a stash of canned stuff from 1970's and early 80's. We were glad it have it.

Outboard the Torpedo room the found some peanut butter in a metal can. It had set soooo long the oil had separated. Half the can had the consistency of cement and the other half was pure peanut oil. It took forever to mix it back up but we ate it with no ill effects.

I went onboard weighing about 180, came off 125+ days later weighing around 150.

The moral of the story is canned stuff lasts a lot longer than you would think and it surprising what you will eat if you are hungry enough.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    Found a can of sauerkraut dated 2014 that look fine on the outside but not so good on the inside.

Attachments

• IMG_2603 (1).JPG
      IMG_2603 (1).JPG
      35 KB · Views: 198

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    We didn't have any fresh veggies for dinner last night, so I grabbed two cans of green beans from the shelf. Expired in 2017...so basically brand new!

Anyway, the first one I grabbed started "hissing" when I picked it up. I put it up to my ear and heard the unmistakable sound of air moving through a small hole. I shook the second can, and it started to do the same. No obvious signs of rust on the can, but when I peeled the label there was corrosion along the welded seal. So watch for this!

Attachments

• 20220105_141352.jpg
      20220105_141352.jpg
      88.3 KB · Views: 132
    • 20220105_141406.jpg
      20220105_141406.jpg
      84.2 KB · Views: 137

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members