• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    At the blog:
    https://thehebrewhammer.net/2021/12/06/green-ops-introduction-to-shotgun-clinic-aar-sds-s4-edition/

Doing a shotgun class with a $400 Benelli M4 knockoff is certainly a bold move, but it paid off for me. I'm not kidding in the conclusion, either; they did a shockingly good job with the class for a first run, and it really did measure up very well with the big name classes I have taken. I think the real difference is subject matter expertise; while the shootings bits were similar (or better, frankly), I do think other instructors had an edge in the sheer quantity of gear and ammo they've seen roll through, or with LEO and .mil specific usage. It's a rare class that excels in every single area, though.

rkouns2003

Jul 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Great review as usual. I had an awesome time in the class. Super impressed with that flight control buckshot and that Turknelli! See you in Feb?! We gotta get that guns round count up

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I followed your lead and bought a turknelli m4 clone as well. ( AKSA S4)

I own a couple of real Benelli m4s and I was surprised that the S4 functioned well. I did some research and used blue locktight on screws that usually loosen up.

I polished the surfaces on moving parts and installed some upgrades while waiting for the range to open up after deer season.

Upgraded were:
    Mesa tactical urbino stock ( 12.5” lop) in ODG with matching handguard. US made follower, Benelli extractor and spring. An 8 round shell carrier , a two point sling and a trs-25 red dot ( placeholder ) also installed Benelli factory choke and bolt handle.

The gun ran without problems with federal bulk target loads. I ran about 75 rounds without any malfunctions. Zeroed at 50 yards with 1oz slugs and ran about a dozen 00 buck shots( Winchester / Olin )

The shotgun was more comfortable to shoot than my m4 with a c-stock. Patterned well and grouped about 6” at 100 yards with slugs.

I’m surprised that it actually cycled the anemic target loads without doing a proper break in first.

The action and trigger also got smoother. I installed a plastic heat shield on the barrel ( mossy 590 heat shield modified to fit) to help with fiddle type reloads.

The fit on the gun is actually very good. Accessories from mesa tactical dropped in without the need for hand fitting. The finish is okay. With some uneven areas on the barrel. ( touched up with alumahyde)

Overall. At 400 bucks ( plus shipping and transfer fees), I’m very happy with it. It’s not a Benelli. It’s not as good as the real Benelli ( in terms of finish and quality ) but…. It’s good enough.

I bought it because I wanted a beater m4( which I can’t really afford ) that can be treated rough and not worry about dings and scratches. The S4, delivered.

Attachments

• D0EAF714-9C8D-497D-8151-4F972E6F32A7.jpg
      D0EAF714-9C8D-497D-8151-4F972E6F32A7.jpg
      86.6 KB · Views: 107

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, my next project with the S4 is to swap the magtube. Have a US-made magtube and follower, just need to detail strip the gun and heat the old magtube enough to break the thread locker on it. Might use a butane torch or something if a heat gun doesn't work... we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom