• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    Free to good home:

One male German Shepherd, approximately 1 year old (Nov. 18, 2020). Not altered and no vaccination records. Original owner claims he has received shots to current, but again, no way to verify. Original owner unable to care for dog any longer.

As per observation:
    -large for his age, also clumsy
    -very energetic and playful, maybe to a fault
    -not aggressive with humans
    -does bark and lunge at other dogs while on leash
    -doesn’t seem to know basic commands
    -appears to be crate trained/house broken

My family currently has possession of dog in hopes of finding him a new home with a proper owner. Calls to various rescue organizations haven’t been fruitful as of yet.

I am now turning to you, fellow MDS brothers and sisters, to enlist your help as well. If you, or someone you know, is up to the task please let me know. I’d recommend the new owner have patience, a sizable but fenced area, and an open heart as well as the finances to accommodate such an animal.

Dog is currently located in Baltimore County near the Howard County border, specifically the Arbutus-Catonsville-Ellicott City area. Please post below or IM your contact number for further info.

Attachments

• 3B53B924-4231-4062-9CE7-FC2EF2CAC486.jpg
      3B53B924-4231-4062-9CE7-FC2EF2CAC486.jpg
      73.9 KB · Views: 683
    • B5A2CDB9-2691-4997-A547-3C431A706165.jpg
      B5A2CDB9-2691-4997-A547-3C431A706165.jpg
      66.5 KB · Views: 685

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    He's so cute. Not in a position to adopt him, but thanks for putting the word out so he gets matched somewhere.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Aw, poor buddy. All those traits remind me of when our shepherd was that age.

Have you tried All Shepherd Rescue? That's where we got our GSD from, and I'd hope they would be able to help you out. Also located in Baltimore County

https://www.allshepherdrescue.com/info/contact

I must be getting old or I need new glasses. I read that as Al Sharpton Rescue. I was confused.

Best of luck rehoming that big boy.

putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    Aw, poor buddy. All those traits remind me of when our shepherd was that age.

Have you tried All Shepherd Rescue? That's where we got our GSD from, and I'd hope they would be able to help you out. Also located in Baltimore County

https://www.allshepherdrescue.com/info/contact

The suggestion is appreciated. While not going to name any specific organizations, you would be surprised at what we’ve encountered. One place wanted pedigree paperwork and vaccination records which we don’t have. Another wanted a several hundred dollar donation and a home visit with the dog but no promise they could help. Several others simply don’t respond to email and voicemails.

We’re not asking for money for the dog or thanks of any kind. All I want is someone to help this poor dog out with a “forever home”. I wish we could keep him but it’s not possible…

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    How does he do with other dogs off leash in a yard? Does he lunge just on a leash? Any idea how he does w kids?

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I am very tempted for SO many reasons. I might see what I can do. I have a small dog, which I love dearly however, and he doesn't care for other dogs, and is the jealous type with human affection.

Off_paper

Apr 30, 2021
    AACo
    The suggestion is appreciated. While not going to name any specific organizations, you would be surprised at what we’ve encountered. One place wanted pedigree paperwork and vaccination records which we don’t have. Another wanted a several hundred dollar donation and a home visit with the dog but no promise they could help. Several others simply don’t respond to email and voicemails.

We’re not asking for money for the dog or thanks of any kind. All I want is someone to help this poor dog out with a “forever home”. I wish we could keep him but it’s not possible…

Honestly I'm not surprised, not every organization out there is great, or even good. Hell, I've only adopted from ASR and done a few fosters for them, so I can't speak for the intake side. I just know that they've taken in surrenders and shelter dogs before.

Best of luck with the good boy, I'm sure you'll find someone, and I'll keep an ear out for anyone looking. Shepherds are amazing dogs, but can certainly be a lot of work, especially at this age.

putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    How does he do with other dogs off leash in a yard? Does he lunge just on a leash? Any idea how he does w kids?

My youngest is a teenager and the dog is fine with her. If you have small children he is likely to knock them down since he likes to put his paws up on people and lick. I’ve not seen him show aggression to anyone yet but maybe he hasn’t encountered anyone he dislikes yet. He was in the back of my sons truck in front of 7-11 and everyone passing by was petting him. As for other animals in the yard I am unsure as I haven’t had any. The prior owner did have other animals that were “given away” at the same time so they must have cohabitated with this dog but I didn’t witness any interactions between them…

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    My youngest is a teenager and the dog is fine with her. If you have small children he is likely to knock them down since he likes to put his paws up on people and lick. I’ve not seen him show aggression to anyone yet but maybe he hasn’t encountered anyone he dislikes yet. He was in the back of my sons truck in front of 7-11 and everyone passing by was petting him. As for other animals in the yard I am unsure as I haven’t had any. The prior owner did have other animals that were “given away” at the same time so they must have cohabitated with this dog but I didn’t witness any interactions between them…

If you give him a correction when he puts his paws up, like "off, sit", perhaps with a hand to the back of his neck (or maybe not, depending) and put your other hand down a bit lower than his head a few times he may put his paw in your hand and at that point it's "shake, good dog". Good behavior=praise/reward.

Try it 3 times and if it does not work try it the next day for three times and so on. Eventually the GSD will get it. They are smart, like to learn, and have hang. That's worked for me anyhow. YMMV.

He's trying to figure out where he is in the new pack. Critters outside the pack set off the alarm bells in his brain. People are not critters but that's another training lesson.:D

Worse-case scenario if you get in a jam PM me but I reckon something will work out local soon enough.

tjaw

Nov 14, 2014
    Monkton, MD.
    GSD

I should have mentioned that I have first-hand experience with Mid-Atlantic German Shepherd Rescue MAGSR. My wife and I are on our 5th GSD.

We adopted Sonjya from MAGSR ~ fifteen years ago, she has passed. Sonja was a sweetheart. I continue to support MAGSR as much as I can.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have two Labs - don't know how well he'd get on with them, but one of them is nearing the end of his life - he's a big old Yellow lab we rescued about 4 years ago, and he was old when we got him.

Very tempting - sounds like he's potentially a pretty good dog, but it would take some doing to integrate him into a home with two Labs.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I should have mentioned that I have first-hand experience with Mid-Atlantic German Shepherd Rescue MAGSR. My wife and I are on our 5th GSD.

We adopted Sonjya from MAGSR ~ fifteen years ago, she has passed. Sonja was a sweetheart. I continue to support MAGSR as much as I can.

A call to them may help. I get the rescue groups have logistic parameters but, per my review, this is a classic GSD, that someone should snap up.

One year old is just right for training w/o too many physical concerns.

Off_paper

Apr 30, 2021
    AACo
    A call to them may help. I get the rescue groups have logistic parameters but, per my review, this is a classic GSD, that someone should snap up.

One year old is just right for training w/o too many physical concerns.

I totally agree, All Shepherd Rescue or MAGSR should be able to get this dog in and out quick, a one year old shepherd still has plenty of puppy energy and willingness to learn, and if it's housebroken and crate trained, all the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom