• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Interesting video. I agree that each country should be able to honor its war dead.

However, the Japanese military in World War Two was not honorable. They murdered, raped and tortured their way across China, Korea, the Philippines and the rest of Asia. They deserved everything that they got.

fpmst930

Oct 21, 2019
    Rockville MD
    Interesting video. I agree that each country should be able to honor its war dead.

However, the Japanese military in World War Two was not honorable. They murdered, raped and tortured their way across China, Korea, the Philippines and the rest of Asia. They deserved everything that they got.

yup agree. I am pretty sure this was a right wing group that made the video. But the YouTube channel is just a production company in Japan.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD

You could probably, and justly, level similar charges against most modern armies in battle. But, I've read about some of the things the Japanese did in WWII and it's horrifying, just about as bad as the Nazis but on a smaller scale.

I've been to Japan a few times and have worked alongside Japanese folks for a number of years, they've always struck me as really kind and respectful.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD

You paint with too small a brush. :thumbsup:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

Much of that was driven I believe by Tojo and similar thinking leadership and how they brainwashed the people & soldiers to act the way they did. The common soldier was a Pawn in all of this and although I'm sure there were good and bad soldiers, they were still pawns.

Both the good and the bad should be taught to the people.

EDIT: Bit of history, Tojo tried to commit suicide with a gun (not a wakizashi). He failed at that and hit his gut not his heart.)

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Much of that was driven I believe by Tojo and similar thinking leadership and how they brainwashed the people & soldiers to act the way they did. The common soldier was a Pawn in all of this and although I'm sure there were good and bad soldiers, they were still pawns.

Both the good and the bad should be taught to the people.

Agreed, fully.
    I read a book on the Wake Island battle, absolutely brutal. The guys that survived were put in the hold of a Japanese cargo ship and went to Japan for forced labor. Minimal food, barely any water, hot as hell down in the hold and very cramped. I don't remember the survival rate but it was pretty low. There are thousands of examples of this kind of cruelty inflicted by the Japanese but I do believe that most of the low level sailors and soldiers were decent kids that wanted nothing more than to fight bravely and make their families proud. Not excusing what some of them did, at all.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    My great aunt (still alive) was a Japanese War bride who married my great uncle who was in the occupying force in Japan post WW2.

She was 15 years old when the nukes were dropped. She’s told me stories about how her and other schoolchildren were told the Americans were cannibals that were released out of prisons.

They were apparently being trained to use sharpened sticks as spears in the event of an allied invasion.

I don’t think all Japanese soldiers or the Japanese people were evil, but I believe many were indoctrinated in a way that was worse than even most Nazi’s.

Anyone unaware, should read about Unit 731. They were ruthless.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom