• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I will definitely make it a note to try that next time I venture to Westminster thank you!!

OK now you have me drooling. I do believe this looks like a winner, plus I don't have to find my phone or drive anywhere. (Thank you big Brown truck drivers, LOL!) Now I'm left with option overload. So many yummy things to try this may take a couple years...

Oh no. They have a subscription service! https://texaslonestartamales.com/tamale-box/ I have a feeling I know what Santa is bringing this year... I hope I've been good.

Let us know how they are

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    Wife is from Texas and we've done holiday tamales a few times. Her dad has sourced locally, frozen batches and shipped them. Thaw what's needed and steam.

Breakfast tamales the next morning is the best part. A little olive oil in a pan, reheat 2-3 tamales until slightly crisp/browned on all sides. Top with a couple of over easy fried eggs. Sublime.

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    I order mine from here, nothing like a tamale steamed in the corn husk. https://texaslonestartamales.com

I've ordered from these guys before. The Texas Loop sausage is great. Tamales are decent for frozen, they also have them at Wegmans in Columbia now, but you have to look (across from international stuff if I remember right).

https://texastamale.com/

I agree Hormel does the trick when you just have a need away from civilization.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I will definitely make it a note to try that next time I venture to Westminster thank you!!

OK now you have me drooling. I do believe this looks like a winner, plus I don't have to find my phone or drive anywhere. (Thank you big Brown truck drivers, LOL!) Now I'm left with option overload. So many yummy things to try this may take a couple years...

Oh no. They have a subscription service! https://texaslonestartamales.com/tamale-box/ I have a feeling I know what Santa is bringing this year... I hope I've been good.

I've tried the chicken, pork and beef, all were good, they also have some hot ones with habaneros that were pretty spicy.

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Hi folks!

Well it's way past Christmas and well overdue for me to post a follow-up report... but the new year quickly overcame my available time.

In mid December I ordered a bunch of tamales from texaslonestartamales.com. The good news it that even right before Christmas they managed to pack, ship, and have them arrive in about a week.

First the packing - The good were well packed and preserved. I had considered upgrading shipping to get them here quicker, but standard shipping (and free!) turned out to be a good choice. There were lots of warnings about handling the 'dry ice' to avoid injury. Like many of you might be, I was excited that I'd have a quantity of dry ice to ummm help educate the youngin's around Christmas. Sadly my first disappointment was that this was not dry ice - it was some sort of synthetic plastic that while very effective for preservation lost all the reactive benefits for other purposes.

Upon reviewing my new inventory I discovered they shorted me a dozen tamales. I'd ordered a ton (like 13+ dozen) and this was right about Christmas time so I never bothered to contact them. I expect they would have made it right and I only really viewed this as a 'minor oversight.'

Now to the tamales themselves. Overall they were pretty good. I've certainly had better. They were a bit smaller than I am used to (I guess not everything is bigger in Texas), but about 4 of them with a side of beans made me a happy dinner. I ordered a bunch so we'll be having them for a quick dinner for a long time to come. FYI even directly from frozen they'll cook in an oven in about 30 minutes.

The cheese tamales were my biggest disappointment. I'm used to cheesy tamales with generous green pepper - these were not that. The pork ones were probably my favorite and the beef were pretty good too (and the beef were spicy enough to ward off the young ones.) The habanero ones we'd ordered were, well... not very habanero. Maybe it's just my palette but these would never have passed for spicy in the southwest. Again enough that the kids wouldn't touch it, but I couldn't really detect any spice at all... especially with a side of jalapeno beans my wife cooked up in the instapot. The chicken was were also 'OK.' We got a couple of the desert ones (apple pumpkin I think?) but we haven't tried those yet.

Did it scratch the itch? Yes. Would I order again? Probably yes, though no cheese next time. I might consider rolling the dice on another mail order supplier though if another suitable vendor presents itself.

Happy belated holidays everyone!

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I get that itch too sometimes. I’m the only one in the household that really enjoys them. I managed to make them from scratch once. After that I really appreciate the amount of work that goes into making great Tamales. I just get them at the local Mexican place now.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I get that itch too sometimes. I’m the only one in the household that really enjoys them. I managed to make them from scratch once. After that I really appreciate the amount of work that goes into making great Tamales. I just get them at the local Mexican place now.

I found it easier to cook the filling one day then assemble the next day. Steaming only takes an hour so not that bad

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Hi folks!

Well it's way past Christmas and well overdue for me to post a follow-up report... but the new year quickly overcame my available time.

In mid December I ordered a bunch of tamales from texaslonestartamales.com. The good news it that even right before Christmas they managed to pack, ship, and have them arrive in about a week.

First the packing - The good were well packed and preserved. I had considered upgrading shipping to get them here quicker, but standard shipping (and free!) turned out to be a good choice. There were lots of warnings about handling the 'dry ice' to avoid injury. Like many of you might be, I was excited that I'd have a quantity of dry ice to ummm help educate the youngin's around Christmas. Sadly my first disappointment was that this was not dry ice - it was some sort of synthetic plastic that while very effective for preservation lost all the reactive benefits for other purposes.

Upon reviewing my new inventory I discovered they shorted me a dozen tamales. I'd ordered a ton (like 13+ dozen) and this was right about Christmas time so I never bothered to contact them. I expect they would have made it right and I only really viewed this as a 'minor oversight.'

Now to the tamales themselves. Overall they were pretty good. I've certainly had better. They were a bit smaller than I am used to (I guess not everything is bigger in Texas), but about 4 of them with a side of beans made me a happy dinner. I ordered a bunch so we'll be having them for a quick dinner for a long time to come. FYI even directly from frozen they'll cook in an oven in about 30 minutes.

The cheese tamales were my biggest disappointment. I'm used to cheesy tamales with generous green pepper - these were not that. The pork ones were probably my favorite and the beef were pretty good too (and the beef were spicy enough to ward off the young ones.) The habanero ones we'd ordered were, well... not very habanero. Maybe it's just my palette but these would never have passed for spicy in the southwest. Again enough that the kids wouldn't touch it, but I couldn't really detect any spice at all... especially with a side of jalapeno beans my wife cooked up in the instapot. The chicken was were also 'OK.' We got a couple of the desert ones (apple pumpkin I think?) but we haven't tried those yet.

Did it scratch the itch? Yes. Would I order again? Probably yes, though no cheese next time. I might consider rolling the dice on another mail order supplier though if another suitable vendor presents itself.

Happy belated holidays everyone!

Glad you like them for the most part, curious why you baked them instead of steamed them. I thaw the package and them put them in a steamer for 10 minutes, hot and delicious.
    I agree about the cheese ones, tried them once, they were ok but not good enough to get again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom