• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    So far I've been out three times in the last week or so. Public lands only. I've only had one shot lined up, but a few leaves kept me from taking the shot. Then it ninja vanished. I've learned quite a bit though. Those guys are better at evading than I am at hunting them. I'm getting better. I'm pretty sure the mandatory blaze orange hat is giving them an advantage as well. My first day, I learned rather quickly, a sling is a must. Second day I learned, a better, quieter sling is preferred. I plan to make one from 550 cord. I made one for my 10/22 and it is great (self Patting of the back). A side focus scope would be so much better....the Avenger is long and front heavy...trying to adjust the objective is a pain...great on a bench, not so much in the woods while carrying. I also need to add some sound dampening to the hollow stock of the avenger. It resonates each little bump or tick of a zipper or sling swivel. First few minutes of hunting today, I saw a squirrel about 25 yards from me, at the same time he saw me...around the tree he went, I posted up and decided to wait him out....he appeared 10 minutes later, coming down a tree on my side of the path, ran over and disappeared again...Later, I saw two squirrels chasing each other on the same tree...they quickly scampered to the backside never to be seen again...I waited a good 10-15 minutes, no idea where they go to. But while waiting them out, another popped out even closer and disappeared like smoke before I could get a shot....I literally watched it run away, from 15 yards, to about 25-30, down a log and then just vanish...amazing. These guys are not like the yard squirrels that pause and preen. Good times. I'm enjoying the challenge, and learning how to better fix my kit..The smoker is ready, and so am I...I will get a few before the season is out.

Sent from my Armor 8 using Tapatalk

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Squirrel hunting with an air rifle can be challenging. Yes, blaze orange can be a give away. Makes stocking tough. Once you find a favorite tree, sit, wait. They'll show. Also, calling works with squirrel. A quarter can make a pretty realistic gnawing sound, squirrel hear that and might come back out, kind of an all clear sound. Might want to look it up.
    Have fun.
    V

bgoodsoil

Aug 24, 2020
    I got tired of walking all day and not seeing anything so now I cheat. I have an automatic cat feeder that drops peanuts in front of my archery target year-round :)

i-cTC59Kw-M.jpg

i-WtmhgwP-M.jpg

i-c5LMQWN-M.jpg

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    I got tired of walking all day and not seeing anything so now I cheat. I have an automatic cat feeder that drops peanuts in front of my archery target year-round :)

i-cTC59Kw-M.jpg

i-WtmhgwP-M.jpg

i-c5LMQWN-M.jpg

I have 3-4 that I feed regularly...the plan was to shoot and eat the ones that aren't my neighbors...so far, I'm still eating chicken,.pork and beef with that plan.

bgoodsoil

Aug 24, 2020
    Is that legal? Might be the easy way, but not very sporting, IMO. :tdown:

Oh yeah definitely not sporting. I'm shooting off a sandbag which is about as far from 'sporting' as you can get since it removes the shooter as much as possible. If it were sporting I might injure one. I like being able to reliably choose where in their head I put the pellet so they aren't suffering. A squirrel's head is ~1.25" and the Kral's doing ~5/8" groups at 40 yards.

I'm not doing this for the challenge. I do a 'Feast of the Beast' on Halloween where I roast them in the oven then we hand them around the fire pulling limbs off and eating them. It's a treat for people since almost no one has ever had squirrel meat. Also, it's appropriately gruesome for the holiday :D

TTBJ

Apr 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Squirrel hunting with an air rifle can be challenging. Yes, blaze orange can be a give away. Makes stocking tough. Once you find a favorite tree, sit, wait. They'll show. Also, calling works with squirrel. A quarter can make a pretty realistic gnawing sound, squirrel hear that and might come back out, kind of an all clear sound. Might want to look it up.
    Have fun.
    V
    leaves will cover squirrel. Air gun just good for December and January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom