• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skylighter

Oct 29, 2011
    I work for a phosphorescent paint manufacturer here in Maryland as well as being a firearm enthusiast.

Our customer service line gets a high percentage of people using our standard glow in the dark paint for night sights. Some customers love it, while others in similar situations hate it.

After convincing management that firearm enthusiasts were a viable vertical market, I spent the last two years researching how customers were using our products on firearms. We learned a few valuable lessons.

First, customers that painted on their sights were less happy than those who created a bead. Those that added additional phosphorescent pigment to the medium, felt the additional cost was worth the added brightness. Finally, since the formula was never designed for guns, there were issues with gun cleaners and oils. With this information, we set out to create a new formula specifically to make Night Sights.

It was easy to increase phosphorescent concentration (we added 4 times the amount of Grade 0 pigment). The harder part was creating resistance to gun oils. We fixed this by coating each individual pigment particle with a wax/plastic hybrid to seal them. We then put it in a thick medium that would allow drying in thick applications.

The problem came when we sent out samples. The test customers, all gun experts or enthusiasts, loved the formula but were having a nightmare getting it onto the firearm in a way that looked good.

We solved that problem by shipping the product in syringes. Now you can simply squeeze out a 1/8" - 1/4" bead onto the sight and allow to dry.

After a lot of work, the product arrived at Amazon on Friday and is available to order today. I hope you guys really enjoy it. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Danny Clark
    Glow Inc.

Glow Inc Night Sight Formula on Amazon:
    http://amzn.com/B00FKZ1GL2

Absolute

Jan 10, 2013
    Howard County, MD
    This looks like exactly what I have been looking for as an alternative to upgrading the sights on My USP45t.

I would really like to see a few pics of the process and a before/after.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    In simple terms, phosphorescence is a process in which energy absorbed by a substance is released relatively slowly in the form of light.

By definition, it does require exposure to light to glow.

skylighter

Oct 29, 2011
    Sorry, we have not taken pictures yet.

Yes, phosphorescent paint requires charging with a bright light or direct sunlight. It can recharge millions of times and should last about 20 years on a firearm.

Coretac

Do NOT care what u think
    May 30, 2013
    does not work well , if bumped , chip off and just does not work . you can spend the 20 bill and try ... I been there got the t shirt !

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    does not work well , if bumped , chip off and just does not work . you can spend the 20 bill and try ... I been there got the t shirt !

Question. You used this particular formula and applicator, or as the OP stated, used their original recipe?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Sorry, we have not taken pictures yet.

Yes, phosphorescent paint requires charging with a bright light or direct sunlight. It can recharge millions of times and should last about 20 years on a firearm.

Thanks, The reason I asked is I wanted to know if you had to "charge" it before you could use it. Glow in the dark paint is available everywhere and I simply don't see shooting in the dark if someone is breaking in to my house and I have to turn a light on first. I don't grasp the concept of where a glow in the dark sight paint would be of practical value.

Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    Thanks, The reason I asked is I wanted to know if you had to "charge" it before you could use it. Glow in the dark paint is available everywhere and I simply don't see shooting in the dark if someone is breaking in to my house and I have to turn a light on first. I don't grasp the concept of where a glow in the dark sight paint would be of practical value.

CCW.

It's quite possible that the sights would be able to charge through a light enough colored t-shirt, and if you're carrying all day and get jumped in a dark alley...

Well, shot placement...

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    CCW.

It's quite possible that the sights would be able to charge through a light enough colored t-shirt, and if you're carrying all day and get jumped in a dark alley...

Well, shot placement...

Got it. I guess I'm just curious how long the "charge" of the sight paint would last from light to dark. I've played with some glow in the dark concepts with different parts and ammo and never found a practical solution. Regular fluorescent paint worked just fine. I could never get glow in the dark paint to stay lit long enough to serve any purpose.

skylighter

Oct 29, 2011
    I am sure Coretec was not using our new formula.

Unfortunately, people are disillusioned with the technology because they have been trying to use regular paints for night sights.

The most valuable use for phosphorescent night sights is for law enforcement. I interviewed dozens of officers working in the line of duty. If you transition from the street into a building, your eyesight often does not adjust quickly, making it difficult to see your sights. The sunlight charged phosphorescent night sights are glowing like crazy in the dim building, making for easy acquisition. To a lesser extent, this happens when they transition from a lit building into the dark of night.

This is why the Sig Night Sights are so popular on the SIG models designed for law enforcement.

We also have customers who have installed an always-on purple or UV LED into their by-the-bed gun safes. It uses negligible electricity and keeps your night sights at the ready.

For concealed carry users, the glow pigments will not charge through your clothing.

Danny

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    SIG night sights are self powered, Tritium sights. No light charging needed.

They do need to be replaced about every 10 - 15 years.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Caution!

Initially, I thought it was a good product.

When you open the bottle the first time, the product is great. Another note a little of this product goes a long way.

When you think you seal the bottle, its too late. If left alone - the unused paint will dry up, if left sitting for a period of time(a year).

I recently found this out with my bottle of glow-on.

skylighter

Oct 29, 2011
    Hi Inigoes,

Both our standard V10 Glow Paint and this product are drastically different from Glow On.

"After use seal" is actually part of our regular testing and design strategy for all of our products. This product in particular is shipped in a syringe with a cap. This allows it to be fully sealed easily. However, I would not suggest letting it sit around unused for a year.

I will also add to the earlier discussion that a clean and oil-free sight is critical for full adhesion.

Thanks,
    Danny

Coretac

Do NOT care what u think
    May 30, 2013
    I am sure Coretec was not using our new formula.

Unfortunately, people are disillusioned with the technology because they have been trying to use regular paints for night sights.

The most valuable use for phosphorescent night sights is for law enforcement. I interviewed dozens of officers working in the line of duty. If you transition from the street into a building, your eyesight often does not adjust quickly, making it difficult to see your sights. The sunlight charged phosphorescent night sights are glowing like crazy in the dim building, making for easy acquisition. To a lesser extent, this happens when they transition from a lit building into the dark of night.

This is why the Sig Night Sights are so popular on the SIG models designed for law enforcement.

We also have customers who have installed an always-on purple or UV LED into their by-the-bed gun safes. It uses negligible electricity and keeps your night sights at the ready.

For concealed carry users, the glow pigments will not charge through your clothing.

Danny
    I am pretty sure I used your newer product . But I will not put down anybody's product. I just said what happen to me . Please anyone try , its 20.00 ...... night sights are near 100.00 if not over and still have to install them. Maybe I did something wrong, bad batch, I do not know .... I WILL NOT put the product down like I said , not me .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom