• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Chop it and put a bead on it.

Why would you ever need rifle sights on a gun made to shoot 5-20 feet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've known guys to shoot a lot further than that with good slugs and a 14" shotgun. Plus I prefer rifle sights

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

Fed Flite Control 8 pellet can keep a shockingly tight spread to 20-25 yards. Barrel length has very little impact. And making 50yd slug shots with even relatively crude rifle or ghost ring sights is much easier than you might think.

I'm not saying shotguns are long distance plays - they're not - but for usual defensive shooting distances, they'll work fine with the right ammo.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Vang does excellent work , if you want to go that far in $ .

For more basic chop job , there are an infinite variety of front sights/ base thereof suitable for 12ga bbl . Mounting one is extremely basic for any 'smith , and doable by careful hobbyist .

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009

20 feet is less than 7 yards.....why would you limit yourself to that? I've got ghost rings on my SBS and can put slugs in eye sockets at 25 yards with it. And I'm doing hand-sized patterns high center chest with FFC at 25 yards....I couldn't do that with just a bead

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually , surprisingly good groups can be had with bead only , with modicum of care about cheek weld .

The problem is it is random if bead only will impact to useful POI . If not , no way to correct .

My " Deercharmer " w/a bead only would shoot cloverleafs @ 50yd t o POA . One particular 870 would do 8 in slug groups. But impacted 2 feet low left .

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    My SBS will be for home defense loaded with 8/9 pellet Federal with flite control. Don’t think the person on the receiving end would mind if I had a bead sight.

Attachments

• 010AD0BA-3C69-4593-A45E-DC4D01FC86D8.jpeg
      010AD0BA-3C69-4593-A45E-DC4D01FC86D8.jpeg
      37.2 KB · Views: 70

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    yeah

12.5" is the shortest you can go without doing action bar and barrel lug work. Your muzzle will be pretty much directly over the mag tube cap.

Buying a barrel with the sights will be the cheapest route. You can, in a pinch, install a Wilson ghost ring front over a bead and use an Aridus rear without a ton of drama.

Randy Weaver questions that minimum length :innocent0

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Actually , surprisingly good groups can be had with bead only , with modicum of care about cheek weld .
    I've watched tons of dudes fail to do that - myself included - under stress and a timer, especially when movement was involved. Personally, I'll take a rear sight of some sort every time I have the option.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I shoot decent groups on steel with slugs at 100 yards. The Wilson combat ghost ring sights make a huge difference. 14” SBS.

uoC3eyb.jpg

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    20 feet is less than 7 yards.....why would you limit yourself to that? I've got ghost rings on my SBS and can put slugs in eye sockets at 25 yards with it. And I'm doing hand-sized patterns high center chest with FFC at 25 yards....I couldn't do that with just a bead

It's a SBS. It's only purpose in life in CQ SD. I understand it (and you) may be able to reach out further than that but it's completely and totally unnecessary.

The same reason applies to not putting a scope on a pistol. Because if you need to shoot that far you get a rifle.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I comprehend that argument , but don't really buy it .

Normal people need to think twice about the expense and NFA regulatory burdens of ( modern action ) pump 14in full stock 12ga when there are non NFA close options that come close to OAL . But there isn't huge ballistic difference between 18in and 14in .

Witness the huge % of LE ( general purpose Duty) Shotgun now with 14 in bbl . ( Because for vertical front seat racks in post Crown Vic compact cars , 18in bbls no longer fit .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom