• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    The Heller case cited five antebellum state supreme court cases concealed carry laws.
    Only one of them asserted that concealed carry was outside the right to bear arms.

https://reason.com/volokh/2021/10/0...ief-in-supreme-court-right-to-bear-arms-case/
    DAVID KOPEL | 10.6.2021 6:31 PM

The Heller case cited five antebellum state supreme court cases concealed carry laws. Only one of them asserted that concealed carry was outside the right to bear arms. The main line of the cases indicate that concealed carry can be banned as long as open carry is allowed. Or vice versa. Because New York State prohibits open carry, the statutory system of concealed carry licensing may not be misused so as to prohibit the vast majority of law-abiding, trained adults from obtaining a carry permit.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Judges use dicta all the time in their rulings. Machine guns and short-barreled shotguns had nothing to do with Heller's handgun, yet they're now classified within the dangerous and unusual understanding of the right to keep and bear arms. But, no matter, that dicta made by a US Supreme Court justice, supports what Scalia stated when referencing a majority of 19th century courts that have addressed the matter of concealed carry, have ruled that, that form of carry can be regulated under the 2nd Amendment.

I wish people would stop using the term “regulated” in this context. Basically everything is regulated to one degree or another. It doesn’t add anything to the discussion. Open carry can also be “regulated” apart from concealed carry. We’re still in the same spot as before.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    I would bet money that there are MDS Members who are happy about this.

A representative of the US Government arguing against the Second Amendment only reinforces the main reason the Amendment was put in place to begin with.

I'd love to see Biden himself go before the court and repeat his double barrel shotgun advice.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Do you have an opinion on which brief in this case is the best written one?

Not really, it is a hard question because it depends on how you define what is best. There are a number of amici that add small parts of the issue. From an amici stand point that is good. The problem I see is that no one really directly addressed the question presented (Whether the State's denial of petitioners' applications for concealed-carry licenses for self-defense violated the Second Amendment.) The briefs are more about carry in general and don't really explain why concealed carry is now part of the right given the historical prohibitions.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Not really, it is a hard question because it depends on how you define what is best. There are a number of amici that add small parts of the issue. From an amici stand point that is good. The problem I see is that no one really directly addressed the question presented (Whether the State's denial of petitioners' applications for concealed-carry licenses for self-defense violated the Second Amendment.) The briefs are more about carry in general and don't really explain why concealed carry is now part of the right given the historical prohibitions.

Is it because licensing of a fundamental right being relatively new ( a product of the 20th century), compared to the right itself.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Judges use dicta all the time in their rulings. Machine guns and short-barreled shotguns had nothing to do with Heller's handgun, yet they're now classified within the dangerous and unusual understanding of the right to keep and bear arms. But, no matter, that dicta made by a US Supreme Court justice, supports what Scalia stated when referencing a majority of 19th century courts that have addressed the matter of concealed carry, have ruled that, that form of carry can be regulated under the 2nd Amendment.

The thing with dicta is that it is much easier to overcome than precedent. This is why the lower court in Wrenn decided concealed carry was acceptable even though SCOTUS found a historical prohibition on concealed carry. Had the historical prohibition on concealed carry been precedent, the lower court would have needed to decide things differently.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Heller case cited five antebellum state supreme court cases concealed carry laws.
    Only one of them asserted that concealed carry was outside the right to bear arms.

https://reason.com/volokh/2021/10/0...ief-in-supreme-court-right-to-bear-arms-case/
    DAVID KOPEL | 10.6.2021 6:31 PM

This seems to directly conflict with what Heller was saying. Four of the five cases upheld the bans on concealed carry, which led Heller to state that the right was not unlimited. Only one case found that it was part of the right and the state eventually changed its constitution to clearly state that it was not part of the right.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Is it because licensing of a fundamental right being relatively new ( a product of the 20th century), compared to the right itself.

My opinion it is because of changing attitudes towards what is acceptable and how to effectively regulate what is unacceptable. If you look at the reasoning behind why concealed carry was historically prohibited, you will find that it was only associated with criminal or unacceptable behavior. That attitude has changed and concealed carry is seen as an acceptable behavior. It seems that we now use licensing to distinguish between those that use acceptable behavior (law abiding citizens) and those that don't (criminals).

The dissent in Young picked up on this. The cases that Heller cites about the historical prohibition on concealed carry contain reasoning to indicate that the prohibition on concealed carry was because of the association with criminal behavior. Today one can point to routine use of concealed carry by the government to demonstrate that it is acceptable behavior.

The plaintiffs arguments that you can ban open or concealed, but not both is not necessarily wrong, but it leaves a hole as to which option should be chosen given the historical prohibition.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    My thoughts exactly.
    The State is asking the Court to limit the Freedom of the People.
    There is a reason that more and more people seem to be opening their eyes these days.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    The thing with dicta is that it is much easier to overcome than precedent. This is why the lower court in Wrenn decided concealed carry was acceptable even though SCOTUS found a historical prohibition on concealed carry. Had the historical prohibition on concealed carry been precedent, the lower court would have needed to decide things differently.

It was acceptable because the state licensed the activity. Licenses are given out by governing authorities, to do that which would otherwise be, illegal and unlawful. A fundamental right is the complete opposite of illegal and unlawful.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    I wish people would stop using the term “regulated” in this context. Basically everything is regulated to one degree or another. It doesn’t add anything to the discussion. Open carry can also be “regulated” apart from concealed carry. We’re still in the same spot as before.

Ok, thanks, should have said, PROHIBITED under the 2nd Amendment.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Ok, thanks, should have said, PROHIBITED under the 2nd Amendment.

I don't think you actually ever answered my question from way back (and perhaps it wasn't you but a different open-carry-only guy so forgive me).

That is, which justices, in your opinion, would be the ones to rule in NYSRPA that open carry is the right, regardless of the current state of the law?

Keep in mind the Peruta and Rogers dissents. I'll await your answer.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I don't think you actually ever answered my question from way back (and perhaps it wasn't you but a different open-carry-only guy so forgive me).

That is, which justices, in your opinion, would be the ones to rule in NYSRPA that open carry is the right, regardless of the current state of the law?

We need the door cracked open to get bear outside the home recognized as part of the fundemental right first.

It may be unlikely that the court will get into the technical details of open versus concealed this go around.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014

Open carry isn't an issue in NYSRPA. They waived that right when they signed the application for a license contract to carry concealed firearms. Just like Norman did in Florida. Since no one has any kahuna's to open carry without a license, we won't be finding out any time soon.

Interestingly, Gorsuch, who joined Thomas in Peruta, didn't join Thomas and Kavanaugh in Rogers, though both very similar cases. Also, Kavanaugh didn't agree with Thomas' reasoning in Part II, in regard to the circuit split on carry outside the home. You must remember, 7 other Justices disagreed with the dissent.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    So you say someone should sue Maryland again and redo Woollard, since MD requires the same permit to carry openly or concealed?
    Cert was denied on that one too.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Open carry isn't an issue in NYSRPA. They waived that right when they signed the application for a license contract to carry concealed firearms. Just like Norman did in Florida. Since no one has any kahuna's to open carry without a license, we won't be finding out any time soon.

Interestingly, Gorsuch, who joined Thomas in Peruta, didn't join Thomas and Kavanaugh in Rogers, though both very similar cases. Also, Kavanaugh didn't agree with Thomas' reasoning in Part II, in regard to the circuit split on carry outside the home. You must remember, 7 other Justices disagreed with the dissent.

Part II of Rogers dissent was almost a full opinion probably well beyond what a typical dissent would contain. Kavanaugh agreed on the basics, that is that they should have heard Rogers.
    We don’t know what the other 7 were thinking. Some may have agreed but chose not to write anything.
    So out of the 7 which 5 would rule for open carry?

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    It was acceptable because the state licensed the activity. Licenses are given out by governing authorities, to do that which would otherwise be, illegal and unlawful. A fundamental right is the complete opposite of illegal and unlawful.

First of all, there was no state in Wrenn as it is a DC case. Additionally DC did not license the activity. That was the whole point of the case, to force DC to grant licenses. IE allow concealed carry.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

NYSRPA did not waive their right, they chose not to challenge the ban on open carry. They challenged the denial of the concealed carry license just like Peruta.

Norman did not waive his right either. You do not waive your rights when you apply for a license.

Why don't you open carry without a license?

Peruta was different from Roger in that Peruta specifically stated concealed carry was not part of the right, while Rogers did not. Rogers was more like NYSRPA in that the case was decided based on previous precedent.

We do not know if 7 other Justices disagree with Thomas' dissent. All we really know is that they did not join it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom