• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jambone

Sep 15, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    My first gun purchase was a S&W 686 6" .357 and I'm now thinking it wasn't the smartest first handgun purchase. I shot for years with friends from time to time so I wasn't completely new to shooting. Unfortunately, I think owning a "big gun" first may have helped to create some bad shooting habits. I think I developed a little bit of a flinch that I'm trying to reduce. I can shoot the gun fairly accurately, I think, but I struggle a little with other handguns. I recently picked up a Sig 226 in 9mm and I'm working on improving my techniques. Both are awesome guns but the 226 is definitely a little more affordable to shoot, when ammo is available. My second gun was a GSG 1911 in .22, I don't think that was a wise choice for me either. I did however learn a lot about what I like and don't like about 1911s.

Just my 2-cents.

krob

Oct 9, 2007
    bushwood md
    my first purchase was a beretta 92 fs i probally have shot 5k rounds through it totally reliable love it still to this day first handgun i ever shot was my grandfathers s/w .38 revolver

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    an old 1911A1 my dad gave me. I had been shooting it since I could walk. Still have it in the safe. Looks a little beat up, and the bushing is a little loose, but it shoots great.

Had some problems a few years ago, but once I replaced the recoil spring with a Wolff, all was well.

New mags help too, the springs in the old GI mags wear out.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    my first purchase was a beretta 92 fs i probally have shot 5k rounds through it totally reliable love it still to this day first handgun i ever shot was my grandfathers s/w .38 revolver

I think my second purchase (whenever that happens) will be a 92 fs. My brother-in-law has a 90-Two and it's a comfortable grip. I'll also check out an M&P 9 and go from there.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    My first handgun (and the only one until my pre 281 purchases) was a Dan Wesson .357 with a 6" barrel. Was a blast to shoot 30 years ago and still fun today (or actually yesterday at MSA).

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    Tried searching for this one and couldn't find anything, but my apologies in advance if it's a duplicate of something I missed.

Anyways, I was curious to ask some of the members here what was the first handgun you purchased or received that you shot on a consistent basis and what did you like/dislike about it?

I figure this might be a good resource for those first handgun purchasers so they can see some of the possible pros and cons to something they might be considering or maybe even get an idea for something they never thought of.

As far as my personal experience it is very limited with handguns. I'm a smaller guy and I would opt for a shotgun to defend my home over a handgun. That being said I prefer a handgun that is solid with a little weight to it but in a low recoil plinking caliber with cheaper ammo. I haven't fired many handguns but I certainly like my .32ACP Beretta M1935 quite a bit, except for the fact that the mag release is no fun for extended target shooting.

I started with a Walter P22 it is cheap and shots smoothly but it has issues and it only lasted about a year before I can no longer use the weapon. I have bought several other guns but I found a Glock 19 to be the best fit and the cheapest non .22lr to shot. I bought an adapter for the G19 to also shot .22lr but mine has an issue and I just mailed it off to be repaired.

With that said. If you are only looking for 1 handgun then you best bet is to go to a range that will let you rent handguns for a set price plus the cost of Ammo most seem to be about $10 to rent a gun plus range fee and ammo in cost. That will let you try a bunch of different guns and that is a good way to find out what type of gun you like.

I would recommend you try a Glock 17 or 19 and a Sig Sauer 226 or 229. I have found there are pretty much 2 basic frames out there. The Glock frames with a fat frame works best for people with big hands and the sig sauer frames it is thinner and works better with smaller hands. Once you find witch of those two you like better you will find most handguns fit in one of those 2 groups and you will find the rest of the differences are much smaller.

Thanks
    Robert

rafael

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 28, 2013
    First fired: Sig P226 in 9mm

First owned: Same. Purchased in/around 1985. Still have it today, in fact, had the Sig service done to it, and it shoots great. Lower left in pic.

Attachments

• 20130809_151000.jpg
      20130809_151000.jpg
      76.5 KB · Views: 228

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    After watching what seemed like hundreds of video reviews, testing at the range, I decided on S&W M&P 9MM for my first pistol.

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    My first was a 6" High Standard 9-shot .22cal R-103 "Sentinel" revolver, and I still own it.

Attachments

• HS 22.jpg
      HS 22.jpg
      59.3 KB · Views: 201

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    Since I had never shot before and wanted to start with the basics, my first purchase was a Ruger Single Six. It's a pleasure to shoot and very accurate. I also like the 22 mag. All of my kids have started out learning with this gun.

capac2727

Aug 23, 2012
    Parkville, MD
    S&W M&P40 and I freaking love that pistol. It fits my hand well and is comfortable to shoot. I know a lot of people hate the snappiness of .40 over 9mm but for the shooting I do it's a great gun. Liked it so much that my AR had to be a S&W M&P15. :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom