• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Opinions welcome. Do you think its worth building a 590 from a receiver? I did some quick math (in my head) and it seems that even to get to an OEM version it would cost more piecemeal than if I walked into a LGS and bought a 590 new?

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    I’d buy a complete gun then replace as I go. Sell the factory parts to cover the cost of the new goodies

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Build a 590? I’ve looked for 590 barrels and mag tubes before and came up with nothing.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I researched it more and it would seem there is not a lot of parts floating around. In most cases you would need to buy two partials to make a whole. No one really makes "custom" internal

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Only difference between the 590 and a 500 is the way the barrel attatches to the mag tube. 590A1 is another story.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I bought a 18.5"/28" home and field combo Mossberg 500. Over time, using eBay gift cards I got for Christmas and birthdays, I built it into a 5+1 shot 590. Heavy 18.5" barrel, metal safety tab, replaced the pinned forend with a tube and ribbed forend, other parked internal parts, and a speed feed stock. Forgotten everything I have done, but still have the longer barrel, and a drawer of spare parts should I need. I have pics on here somewhere.

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    It probably will cost more than an off the shelf 590.

I purchased a used factory pistol grip 8 shot 20" 590 with the door buster barrel. Hefty shotgun. I removed the pistol grip and added a Mossberg factory synthetic stock. This has the standard Mossberg barrel mount so it doesn't take any extensions that I know of. Shoots high, needs a taller sight/post. I was dabbling in hunting up a front/rear sight set up but not sure about that yet...may be better off just buying that version of it. The extra heft doesn't really seem to do much in shooting it over the other 20" Mossy I have. I may just sell it.

I use two other 500's also - a standard 5 shot with 24" rifle sighted smoothbore barrel and an 8 shot Cruiser model which I added a 20" rifle sight barrel to (yes, I like rifle sights). The standard shoots fast, I won a few timed clay shoots with it against a field of semi autos. Felt like a human sewing machine.

To be honest, my favorite is the standard 500 with the 24" rifle sight smoothbore barrel.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    You can but need the corresponding 20” barrel to go with it.

Understood. So does the 590 barrel attachment NOT depend on tube length like the 500's ? I'm trying to decide the best way to get my nephews Maverick-20" converted to a 28" shotgun....buy parts or just buy a second shotgun Lol.

Never mind I looked up the extension Jim mentioned, I see where the 590 is better in this aspect.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I’d just buy a 28” Maverick, Walmart has them I believe. You’d need to buy a magtube for a 6 shot and the 28” barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom