• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Recently I was offered a Walther Manurhin PP from an estate. I had a look at it but let it pass. Condition was decent with some minor rust and bluing defects. My quick research showed that they were probably first issued as police department guns, and then imported to the US after being rotated out of service.

Before this I wasn't familiar with Walthers. One thing that swayed me against the deal was the caliber. .32 ACP just isn't all that appealing.

So here's the question: Why would a police department want a .32 ACP pistol? Has it ever been considered especially deadly? Sure, it beats harsh words and empty hands, but you could do a lot better. Like a P38 or P1 in 9mm, for instance.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Jul 1, 2012
    7.65 (.32 ACP) has always been a very popular caliber in Europe dating back to the early 1900's.
    Probably John Browning's influence (as it's known as 7.65 Browning too).
    Also Europeans seemed to favor the smaller more elegant pistols for self-protection.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For many years in Europe .32acp was THE police cal, and not uncommon for Mil issue .

If you are an exclusive big bore and magnum guy, that's a choice, and .32acp isn't you.

But if you are of wider outlook and interest, the.32 is a decent and underated ctg. .380 apologists have no reason to look down on .32acp from a pocket size ( as opposed to micro/ subcompact) format.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    For many years in Europe .32acp was THE police cal, and not uncommon for Mil issue .

If you are an exclusive big bore and magnum guy, that's a choice, and .32acp isn't you.

But if you are of wider outlook and interest, the.32 is a decent and underated ctg. .380 apologists have no reason to look down on .32acp from a pocket size ( as opposed to micro/ subcompact) format.

I'll go look up a ballistics gel test for .32 ACP. I'm not getting my hopes up. Modern ammo for .380 does okay but just barely.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Bullet type for bullet type,.32acp performs very closely to .380 ( but with better control, trajectory, and penetration).

I'll leave it up to each reader how much that is praise of .32, and how much a slam on .380 .

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    In the days before penicillin, the mere threat of getting shot was a big deal. You'd die an awful, lingering death from sepsis.

I hadn't thought about having a pistol as a badge of rank.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    People also used to carry .41 Rimfire (130gr at 425 FPS) in the Remington double barrel derringer and .32 S&W Short (85gr at 700 FPS) in little revolvers for self defense.

I don't believe criminals high on PCP or meth were a threat back then. Even today, a sober criminal would probably rather not be shot using any gun in any caliber.

Jul 1, 2012
    One of the most popular carry pistols of the time in the US was the Colt 1903 in .32 ACP
    Nice slim profile, compact, and "Accidental discharge is absolutely impossible" (from Colt brochure of the day).
    It'd get the job done.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Ditto for the Savage 1907/1917 series. Funny how .32 auto versions outsold .380 by at least a 4-1 ratio. Savage just couldn't get the public to warm up to .380, even though it was just as reliable and probably a better "man stopper".

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Bullet type for bullet type,.32acp performs very closely to .380 ( but with better control, trajectory, and penetration).

I'll leave it up to each reader how much that is praise of .32, and how much a slam on .380 .

Couple this with the fact that the PP/PPK was designed around the .32, performs very well indeed with that round, with minimal recoil and ease of staying on target.

The .380 on the other hand is not pleasant to shoot in my PPK/S, with snappy recoil and a tendency to smokestack if you limp-wrist the pistol. Not the ideal round in a self-defense situation, especially in a caliber that more or less cries out for multiple impacts to assure stopping an attack.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Couple this with the fact that the PP/PPK was designed around the .32, performs very well indeed with that round, with minimal recoil and ease of staying on target.

If I get an older PP/PPK, I plan to get it in 32 ACP for the reason you state. I have other carry gun options in 9mm.

32 ACP can get the job done. In Pennsylvania a couple years back, a physician packing a Seecamp in 32 ACP stopped a large, deranged attacker (took several shots) who was armed with a revolver.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom