• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Has anyone used a Lee Classic loader? Not their standard dies, but the older style where you use a plastic hammer for all the operations. How was it? Okay? Or awful? I'd use a modern scale instead of the little dipper for powder. I do have a press and the usual gear but I thought I'd try something different.

I'd be loading for a Carcano rifle that I don't plan to shoot much. So loading 20 or 40 at once seems like enough.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a Mosin one I started with and loaded 5 and then got a single stage press. Free to anyone who wants it but I will say it's a pain cause I became way more serious about it than I expected when getting it. Soooo my opinion is they are not with the trouble. You have way more to learn than the cost of a single large press. The cheap loader vs just buy PPU i would just buy PPU

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I purchased mine in the early seventies. Many pleasant evenings disturbing the apartment tenants below.

Attachments

• Leeloader.jpg
      Leeloader.jpg
      71.9 KB · Views: 409

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Thousands of reloaders have started that way, it makes good ammo. I have one for each caliber I shoot because with that and a hammer (a rock would do) I can reload anywhere which may come in handy if TSHTF.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I have always wanted one just for the novelty aspect. Kind of like starting a fire with two sticks, just to be able to say "been there and done that."

Never have bought one though. Once you have a press an extra set of dies cost less and even in a single stage would be quite a bit faster.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a couple around.

I tried to reload some .308 with one. It was not fun. Maybe 5 minutes per round.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Good news #1- They work fine.

Good news #2- They are capable of loading sub MOA ammo. And with decent technique , dippers can be quite consistant. Just not adjustable.

Good news #3- They are very compact , portable, and inexpensive. The above concept of having one for each cal just in case/ for redundancy has merit.

Bad news - By modern standards they are slow. Really slow. Think +/- hour per box. That's box of 20. For cals with 20-40 rounds per hunting season, or even per month, that's workable. If your vocabulary inincludes * mag dump * you will either be persuaded for higher volume reloading gear (which includes single stage in this context), or you will see the wisdom of carefully squeezed aimed fire for each shot.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    They worked but no reason to buy one in this day and age. Had one when I was 10 years old for my 8mm Mauser. Oh, BTW, don't try to bang out a live primer or you will be up in the ceiling retrieving your punch. :D

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I've never used one, but I just cringe when I think of someone putting powder and primer in a case and wacking it with a hammer.....

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I understand. As I stated above, I have never used the product. I respect Lee for continuing to provide a low entry cost product for those desiring the scratch the reloading itch.

Antietamgw

Sep 1, 2011
    Washington County
    I've used Lee Loaders and Lyman 310 tools in the past. My opinion is that they are "OK" for straight wall cartridges. I don't like them for bottle neck cartridges. You are limited to neck sizing but even that requires some hammering if you have a large chamber, like maybe on a milsurp rifle... A bench vise comes in real handy then. Eventually, you will likely need more than just neck sizing unless you are using a mild cast load. If you already have a bench mounted press, my choice would be that. If you want to try something different, maybe something portable, I believe I'd go with a Lee Hand press (or a Lyman hand press, if you can find a used one) and use your standard 7/8"X14 dies. Then you have it covered if you need full length or partial FL or sizing. Enjoy, good luck with it!

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I've never used one, but I just cringe when I think of someone putting powder and primer in a case and wacking it with a hammer.....

Yeah one time when I was about ten yrs old I cut the case off a shotgun shell to see what was inside and then decided to see what happens when you set the brass primer side up on a curb and hit it with a hammer. All I could hear for about two minutes was WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Never did that again :D

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I set off 2 primers while loading 44 MAG with one. The heavy punch sitting over the primer mitigated the blast, and it was only unpleasant. I had a worse hearing problem when I set off a small pistol primer in a Dillon 650 (the "WHEEEEEE" noted by Traveler for 2 days).
    Have several sets in common calibers and find them to be useful when demonstrating reloading to a novice. Nothing else demonstrates the basic stages better.
    I also keep them around for the "end times".
    DocAitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom