• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I saw the one at Horst and McCann. I like the Mossberg 500 family of shotguns but I didn't handle it....appeared very bulky. I am curious what inspired this configuration.

I see it as a three gun tool. But being detachable mag fed would put the shooting in open class, IIRC. The pump feature wouldn't be competitive there even though it can be run quickly. So where does it fit? Entry gun? Post invasion street confrontation? (No, I don't claim to be 'tactical') Speed shooting stationary clays? Carrying two or three extra full mags would be interesting.

I think they saw huge draw due to Viper I believe that offers a box mag retrofit for the pump shotguns.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If the "fighting shotgun" were still a thing, you could reload a ton faster with box mags, and have way more capacity. In situations where you can't "start" loaded, that is a substantial advantage. Pump-action gives you the ability to shoot/cycle non-lethal rounds, too. I don't think box mags are a gimmick at all, and the crowd suggesting that they are reminds me of the folks who had trouble accepting semi-auto handguns over revolvers, the current reliability of semi-auto shotguns, "plastic" Glocks, and RMR-equipped pistols.

Problem is, it's not clear to me that "fighting shotguns" are really relevant anymore. I guess it might make sense as the stereotypical "trunk gun", or maybe home defense, but even in those situations, I kinda think I'd prefer an MSR instead. Breaching shotgun is a qualified maybe, but seems bulky in that role unless you carry it sans mag (which might make sense?).

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    The only time you have real benefit for this is if you run with 20rd mag otherwise on a full size vs 10 rd the advantage is 1-2 extra shells.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The only time you have real benefit for this is if you run with 20rd mag otherwise on a full size vs 10 rd the advantage is 1-2 extra shells.
    The benefit is less capacity (albeit 15-20rd mags is non-trivial) than being able to load, unload, and reload way, way faster. If you are starting with zero shells in the tube, you can go from 0-10 MUCH quicker with a box mag than you can hand-loading. The obvious scenario for this is patrol / truck gun - it is legally problematic to drive around with a loaded shotgun in your trunk in many jurisdictions, but maybe not so problematic to have a loaded magazine near it.

Similarly, if you're in a situation where you may need to unload your gun, it's going to be substantially faster to do it with a box magazine than unloading every shell from the tube. Arguably, it's also going to produce a more reliable unloading, since there's less chance you'll forget to eject one (albeit you should always be checking the chamber and tube to confirm).

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Just read that combat loading could be an issue since the conventional elevator is gone

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Just read that combat loading could be an issue since the conventional elevator is gone
    If I am interpreting your comment correctly, I would respond that combat loading is basically something you need to do because of the tube-fed nature of a traditional shotgun. In a box mag shotgun, you'd just switch magazines and cycle. I personally feel a bit like it's complaining that the M14 can't take en bloc clips like the Garand - well, yes, but why in the world would you want to use them?

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Don't count on after-market mags any time soon - I believe Mike Davidson owns the patent.

I looked up the patent, the priority date is Sept 17, 2010 in the name of Michael J. Davidson. It is good for 20 years from that date. The basic premise of the patent is that the magazine allows for the feeding of rimmed cartridges of varying length without worrying about rim overlap causing failure to feed. There are "channels" that are to internal tracks that the rims ride in to keep them aligned. Another feature allows for the left/right feeding double stack to feed into single stack while still keeping the rims from overlapping and or the cartridge shifting fore/aft to to length variations. One claim of the patent is that 2 3/4" and 3" for example could be used sequentially in a magazine of this design. (although the Mossberg version is 2 3/4" only). Assuming MD Arms has sold exclusive rights to Mossberg, I suspect the market for this is just too small to tool up and try to come up with a patent buster aftermarket magazine design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom