• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Thinking about putting a Tech Sights peep on one of my SKS rifles and wondered if this is restricted in MD, given its Curios & Relics classification.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thinking about putting a Tech Sights peep on one of my SKS rifles and wondered if this is restricted in MD, given its Curios & Relics classification.

Um, no. Not restricted. C&R has nothing to do with modifying a rifle. If it had a detachable magazine 922r could come in to play (sporter restrictions for imported rifles).

You can do whatever you want to a C&R firearm so long as it isn’t an actual illegal modification.

In Maryland it means modifying it to accept a detachable magazine (SKS with detachable mag is banned by name in MD) or a fixed magazine of more than 10 rounds capacity (banned by feature).

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Um, no. Not restricted. C&R has nothing to do with modifying a rifle. If it had a detachable magazine 922r could come in to play (sporter restrictions for imported rifles).

You can do whatever you want to a C&R firearm so long as it isn’t an actual illegal modification.

In Maryland it means modifying it to accept a detachable magazine (SKS with detachable mag is banned by name in MD) or a fixed magazine of more than 10 rounds capacity (banned by feature).

Any change from original does affect it's C&R status however in this case has no affect on legality of ownership until he tries to sell.
    To sell as a C&R he would need to put the original sights back on.
    Same thing with putting a Tapco stock on it.

Jul 1, 2012
    Um, no. Not restricted. C&R has nothing to do with modifying a rifle....

You can do whatever you want to a C&R firearm so long as it isn’t an actual illegal modification....

But be aware that modifying a C&R firearm can remove it from being C&R eligible, depending on the mods.
    (no clue if just changing the sight is one such mod).
    Whatever mods are performed, just make sure they can be undone, in case you ever want to transfer it again as C&R.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Any change from original does affect it's C&R status however in this case has no affect on legality of ownership until he tries to sell.
    To sell as a C&R he would need to put the original sights back on.
    Same thing with putting a Tapco stock on it.

Yes, but once you have ownership, just because you purchased it on a C&R license, or as an HQL exemption doesn’t suddenly make it illegal to own. You just can’t sell it as C&R unless restored.

Sorry I was approaching it as an “I already own it, is this going to make me a thought criminal” question. Not a future resale question.

Also not sure just how picayune ATF would be about that. Yes, they are going to take a dim view if you’ve modified the hell out of it. However, if an SKS was missing the original bayonet or, say, swapped a sight out (say a national match sight on a Garand instead of the original sight), or if it had an aftermarket swing swivel instead of the original swing swivel.

Now dust cover mounted sights, or a totally different kind of stock, etc. almost certainly not going to fly on trying to resell it as C&R.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    To add. Minor modifications are fine.

Also the ATF made up that C&R must be in their original configuration. They even said they did as the law doesn’t say anything about it.

From the ATFs website.

Q: What modifications can be made on C&R firearms without changing their C&R classification?
    The definition for curio or relic (“C & R”) firearms found in 27 CFR § 478.11 does not specifically state that a firearm must be in its original condition to be classified as a C&R firearm. However, ATF Ruling 85-10, which discusses the importation of military C&R firearms, notes that they must be in original configuration and adds that a receiver is not a C&R item. Combining this ruling and the definition of C&R firearms, the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) has concluded that a firearm must be in its original condition to be considered a C&R weapon.

It is also the opinion of FTB, however, that a minor change such as the addition of scope mounts, non-original sights, or sling swivels would not remove a firearm from its original condition. Moreover, we have determined that replacing particular firearms parts with new parts that are made to the original design would also be acceptable-for example, replacing a cracked M1 Grand stock with a new wooden stock of the same design, but replacing the original firearm stock with a plastic stock would change its classification as a C&R item.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    IF you plan to drill anything, just know it might very well devalue the gun.
    If you are putting it on the dust cover, maybe look at buying a spare dust cover and doing it to that.
    BTW, if you do, make sure that dust cover is not loose and wiggles around as that will affect accuracy/repeatability.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I was just going to put the tech sights on, which means replacing the pin which holds the cover on the receiver to hold the new sight. And maybe remove the original leaf sight if necessary. One SKS had a crap replacement stock which looked like a 2x4. I replaced than with a newer SKS wood stock and had to cut a new slot for the bayonet. So it is no beauty anyway. Chief reason is to see if I can get more accuracy. I already have a CZ 527 in 7.62 and that really accurate.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Since you're not doing any permanent change, just put the removed parts in a ziplock and hang it on the rifle where you keep it.
    I replaced the gas system parts of my K-43 wirh new stainless parts so I can adjust the gas and shoot it safely. I keep all the original parts in a long plastic bag with rust preventative and keep it in the safe with the rifle. Since it's a mixed number shooter, I have no problem with shooting it, but if I go to sell it, both sets of gas system parts will make it more desirable. Not increase the mutt value, but make it more desirable as a shooter grade, perhaps for a reenactor.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I was just going to put the tech sights on, which means replacing the pin which holds the cover on the receiver to hold the new sight. And maybe remove the original leaf sight if necessary. One SKS had a crap replacement stock which looked like a 2x4. I replaced than with a newer SKS wood stock and had to cut a new slot for the bayonet. So it is no beauty anyway. Chief reason is to see if I can get more accuracy. I already have a CZ 527 in 7.62 and that really accurate.

Mine is surprisingly accurate. I cleaned up the stock. Mostly sanded and refinished it with tru oil and replaced the aftermarket polymer gas tube cover with a Chinese yellow wood cover. Had to strip it and stain it with a light stain before using tru oil to get it to match. With a replacement tech sight front sight my type 56 will group 5 rounds of wolf FMJ or Red Army FMJBT in to a 2.5 inch group at 100yds.

I’d be happy if I could manage the same with the build I have going now (going polymer stock and scout scope mount. Just because I can shoot 2.5” groups with irons doesn’t mean a scope isn’t a lot easier to shoot it, especially in low light and I want an SKS as a deer rifle).

Attachments

• 6F99CD88-9A22-406E-9073-70513CB0D84B.jpg
      6F99CD88-9A22-406E-9073-70513CB0D84B.jpg
      62.1 KB · Views: 92

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Do you need to replace the front sight also, like on a 10-22?

You don’t. Front sight is windage and elevation adjustable. The Tech Sight front sight is about 2/3rds the width of the regular front sight post. Just drops in to the existing front sight (well, screws in).

KYtoMD

Mar 23, 2017
    MD

Changing the sights won't affect C&R status

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom