Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 25th, 2018, 02:12 PM #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaregrouper View Post
OP here...
My math on .357 Sig was wrong- I can load it for ~19cpr; not 40cpr. I will be adding that round to my bench stat.
There's no reason 357sig shouldn't cost as much as 9mm
To load. Check out rmrbullets for their in house 124 and 147gr
FN rounds for 7-9c each in bulk and during sales.

My advice for dies is to get a Lee carbide 40sw die and a set
Of hornady 357sig dies. Run the carbide 40 die first in your
Progressive followed by the 357 dies and never look back
85MikeTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2018, 04:42 PM #72
Old Timer

Old Timer

When I started reloading back in 1974, I could reload for half the price of store bought factory ammo mainly due to saving on the cost of brass. Back then, primers were $10 for a brick of 1000. Bullets in 7mm 160 gr were about $11-12 per hundred. Powder was running about $8-11 a pound depending on make and type. Reloading got popular and demand for components shot up and so did prices.
Now we have so much surplus ammo floating around that it is almost cheaper to buy it and burn it up.
I still reload for more calibers than I care to remember. I do it because I enjoy it. I also want that 1/4" tighter group. I want the best groups I can get because when there is an issue, I'll know it was me screwing up. I like knowing that my rifles are capable of one hole groups and I like the plaques I won with that handloaded ammo. I like seeing that hole in the deer exactly where I aimed it.

I watch guys at the range burning up 5.56 rounds by the hundreds, firing one every second or 2 at fifty yds, shooting 6" groups and thinking they're having a great day. For these guys, surplus ammo cheap is the ticket.

To each their own. Like anything else, its a matter of choice for all of us. Sorry for the long rant. Just my point of view from 42 years in the hobby.
Old November 25th, 2018, 06:49 PM #73
Garrett Co Hooligan #1

Garrett Co Hooligan #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatAK View Post
I reload because I am a Hooligan and they are enablers! 'Nuff said!!!
This ^^^ And it's true.

Last time I counted, my collection requires over 30 different calibers to feed. Some are common calibers, but many need ammo you won't typically find on the shelf at your favorite gun store or Wally World. And it's not as if I shoot thousands of rounds per year of any one caliber. At Hooligan shoots there is usually a variety of firearms. Some may shoot common ammo while others may be much more exotic.

I can reload for every center fire caliber I shoot. For some I choose to buy cheaper plinking rounds. Example: My SKS and AK rifles shoot Wolf and Tula steel case rounds just fine so my nice brass-case rounds stay stashed. But my Hi-Point carbines really like the cheap 380, 9mm, 40 S&W and 45ACP rounds I build them for the cost of a primer, a few cents worth of powder, plated or home cast wheel weight boolits and the free cases y'all leave laying about the range. And my higher quality handguns shoot the same ammo extremely well and accurately at less the cost of factory ammo.

223/556 is common, right? I haven't purchased a box of factory ammo in many years because I reload much more accurate ammo for my AR's. DA pointed it out earlier: you cant compare the cost of your accurate reloaded ammo to the cheap plinking rounds shot for rapid-fire fun. It ain't the same thing. And, again, thanks for all those free cases y'all leave behind... we reloaders turn them into less expensive and very accurate rounds...

As an enabling Hooligan I confess. I routinely reload common calibers for specific purposes. In my guns, my ammo shoots better than any factory ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
Damn you. Now I want a .357 Sig.
I gotta call time out on that! How many reloadable 357 Sig cases have you picked up at the range? Do you have enough on hand to reload and feed that new pistol properly? Whatcha gonna do when it gets hungry?

( It only took 27 free 270 Win cases for me to have a T/C Compass at the range a week later...)

I'll keep asking when we Hooligans can expect your visit so we can be dazzled by your legendary hair...

"Happiness is also a warm Beagle" - j8064
j8064 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading