• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtb

May 24, 2011
    I am moving within MD and own a machine gun and supressor for it. Do I have to update my address with the state? BATFE? Where/how do I do this if necessary?

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    You can do a change of address with BATFE but I think its only needed if you moving it out of state and Md. Will see it on your yearly registration. Its been awhile for me. I would say call someone at the agencies that are involved for updated info.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    For ATF:
    Fill out a 5320.20 and indicate your new address.
    In Box 2. Firearms to be returned to original location. Check NO
    In Box 3. Dates firearms to be away......... Just indicate the dates in transit.
    In box 5. Reason for transport of Firearm (Example: Permanent change of address) Indicate that you are moving and this is your new address.
    The rest of the form is pretty straight forward.

For MSP:
    I would just indicate your new address when you do your annual registration form this Spring.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that you have to notify MSP within 24 hours of a change in address for Class III. When I moved, I called them and they said just put a letter in the mail to the Firearms Registration Division indicating the new address and then update it on the next registration.

mtb

May 24, 2011
    I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that you have to notify MSP within 24 hours of a change in address for Class III. When I moved, I called them and they said just put a letter in the mail to the Firearms Registration Division indicating the new address and then update it on the next registration.

I'm seeing that you have to register it with MSP within 24 hours of first receiving it... but I'm not able to find anything about moving.

I'll give them a call tomorrow since they're not around today.

Ken

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You can do a change of address with BATFE but I think its only needed if you moving it out of state and Md. Will see it on your yearly registration. Its been awhile for me. I would say call someone at the agencies that are involved for updated info.

Nope, I had to do the change of address when I moved from Baltimore Co to Hazzard Co. There was a thread talking about this some time ago. I have no idea where it is, nor how to do a finite search on this matter.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    For ATF:
    In Box 3. Dates firearms to be away......... Just indicate the dates in transit.
    In box 5. Reason for transport of Firearm (Example: Permanent change of address) Indicate that you are moving and this is your new address.

For MSP:
    I would just indicate your new address when you do your annual registration form this Spring.

That's the information I was given. Exactly!

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I'm seeing that you have to register it with MSP within 24 hours of first receiving it... but I'm not able to find anything about moving.

I'll give them a call tomorrow since they're not around today.

Ken

Go to MSP Licensing Division in person without the firearm, but with all information. Register it or get the full name of the trooper you speak to at that meeting.

Good luck

Jerry

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that you have to notify MSP within 24 hours of a change in address for Class III.

That's "machine guns" only though, right? MD doesn't keep a specific database of other NFA stuff, right?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region

That's "machine guns" only though, right? MD doesn't keep a specific database of other NFA stuff, right?

That 24 hours is for initial receipt of MG's only. There is no initial or annual registration of other NFA items.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    https://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/rpt/2009-R-0020.htm

Last sentence under the NFA section says yes

Keep in mind I am NOT a NFA kind of guy

That the first time I have ever seen that from a government website, and that is a post from 2009. Everything else I have seen says the opposite, only interstate moves require notification.

Here is the law. It has been amended several times but Sec 11 is where interstate transportation violation occurs.

Sec 11. It shall be unlawful for any person who is required to register as provided in sec 5 hereof and who shall not have so registered, or any other person who has not in his possession a stamp-affixed order as provided in sec 4 hereof, to ship, carry, or deliver any firearm in interstate commerce.

http://legisworks.org/sal/48/stats/STATUTE-48-Pg1236.pdf

I am not a lawyer.

CHEF

May 25, 2011
    frederick Md
    For ATF:

For MSP:

Does this apply to MG's only or do I have to do this for a SBR/suppressor?
    I am moving (not out of the county) and can't get a clear answer.
    Thanks.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Does this apply to MG's only or do I have to do this for a SBR/suppressor?
    I am moving (not out of the county) and can't get a clear answer.
    Thanks.

I'm not a lawyer but this guy appears to be:

http://johnpierceesq.com/what-do-i-need-to-do-regarding-my-nfa-trust-when-i-move/

Cliff Notes:
    Report your change of address, even for an intrastate move, on a Form 5320.20.

The Form 5320.20 is required for interstate movement of a machine gun, SBR, or SBS, but not for a suppressor or AOW. Might be a good idea to do one for all items just to keep your registry info updated.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I'm not a lawyer but this guy appears to be:

http://johnpierceesq.com/what-do-i-need-to-do-regarding-my-nfa-trust-when-i-move/

Cliff Notes:
    Report your change of address, even for an intrastate move, on a Form 5320.20.

The Form 5320.20 is required for interstate movement of a machine gun, SBR, or SBS, but not for a suppressor or AOW. Might be a good idea to do one for all items just to keep your registry info updated.

Correct. I never do a 5320.20 for temporary transport of a suppressor as it is not required. However, some people do as an extra layer of coverage. If I was making a permanent move, then I would probably submit a 5320.20.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Correct. I never do a 5320.20 for temporary transport of a suppressor as it is not required. However, some people do as an extra layer of coverage. If I was making a permanent move, then I would probably submit a 5320.20.

So, if I go frequently go back & forth to a shooting range just over the state line (from WV to VA) with my suppressor, I don't need to submit a 5320.20. Right?

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    So, if I go frequently go back & forth to a shooting range just over the state line (from WV to VA) with my suppressor, I don't need to submit a 5320.20. Right?

That is correct. I shoot at a club just over the MD/PA line and while I have an approved 5320.20 in hand for my SBRs, I do not need to list my cans. Since you can specify a year long transport period on the Form 20, it might not hurt to include the cans but it is not required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom