Any FFL's charge one fee for multiple transfers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    I live in Baltimore city, and with the prices of stripped lower receivers so low I wanted to pick up a few. Does anyone know the closest FFL (if any) that will charge one transfer fee to process several receivers on the same background check?

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Under Merry-Lands Gun Laws, you can only receive 1 (anything that requires a transfer) each month...

Multiple Items = Multiple Months & Multiple Transfers...

Good luck with your search...

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Under Merry-Lands Gun Laws, you can only receive 1 (anything that requires a transfer) each month...

Multiple Items = Multiple Months & Multiple Transfers...

Good luck with your search...

This is incorrect, if you are a designated collector you can transfer as many regulated firearms you want a month. There is no fee for this status and just requires you send a notarized form to the MDSP. You will receive a letter back confirming your status when processed.

If you are not a designated collector you are limited to one regulated firearm every 30 days or you can buy 2 on the same 77R (must be processed at the same time) and you must wait 60 days before the next transfer. MDSP considers receivers regulated because they may be built into a regulated configuration such as a pistol, no HQL is required for receivers but a 7 day wait is applied where an HBAR AR15 is cash and carry.

You can buy as many shotguns and rifles you want a month provided MDSP does not regulate them which are transferred on a 4473.

Check out Tyler Firearms in Halethorpe they will help get you your designated collector status and all you need is a stamp and envelope.

Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    Thanks for the info! I am already a designated collector though, so good to go there :thumbsup: I'll check SCSG and Tyler Firearms to see what they can do. Thanks for the tips!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    A1 used to give a generous discount for multiples not sure if they still do. Of course for handguns you needed to be a "designated collector". Pre-FSA I was buying some of the cool stuff by the "laundry basket"

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I shopped around for this last year and was disappointed. When you can get anderson or psa "packing peanuts" specials for $40ish and shipping and transfer end up costing 75-125% of each it really kills the deal. If there was a 10 or 20 stripped lowers for $50 each out the door special I would be all over it.

For that same price as that mystical $50 out the door lower you can get a 80% without the wait or paper work hassle.

Last edited:

Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    I live in Baltimore city, and with the prices of stripped lower receivers so low I wanted to pick up a few. Does anyone know the closest FFL (if any) that will charge one transfer fee to process several receivers on the same background check?

Just a ? If you were in business installing windows would you install 7 for the price of one? I'll answer it for you. Hell no.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Just a ? If you were in business installing windows would you install 7 for the price of one? I'll answer it for you. Hell no.

That's really not a fair comparison, with the windows you have 7x the labor, with the transfer you have the same paperwork just 7 serial numbers to enter.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    That's really not a fair comparison, with the windows you have 7x the labor, with the transfer you have the same paperwork just 7 serial numbers to enter.

7 entries into the A/D books and 7 entries out to the buyer as well. It's not just 7 serial number on a 4473. Then there is the 77R process as well. Then, with everything else going on, you need to try to pay rent or mortgage on the place of business, utilities, business fees all not to mention someone to do the work to keep the store open. Then , if you don't make enough profit, your doors still close. Look around. Maryland has almost no firearms dealers who sell mainly just firearms. Most sellers have a storefront maintaining other business such as pawn or firearms training. I work P/T for IP Scotts Gunsmithing. Gunsmithing keeps the store open. Without it, by firearms sales alone, we would close. That would leave only big box stores in the area. Try to get them to do a transfer.

jkasprz

May 7, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    7 entries into the A/D books and 7 entries out to the buyer as well. It's not just 7 serial number on a 4473. Then there is the 77R process as well. Then, with everything else going on, you need to try to pay rent or mortgage on the place of business, utilities, business fees all not to mention someone to do the work to keep the store open. Then , if you don't make enough profit, your doors still close. Look around. Maryland has almost no firearms dealers who sell mainly just firearms. Most sellers have a storefront maintaining other business such as pawn or firearms training. I work P/T for IP Scotts Gunsmithing. Gunsmithing keeps the store open. Without it, by firearms sales alone, we would close. That would leave only big box stores in the area. Try to get them to do a transfer.

Realize it costs money to keep a place open; however, it wouldn’t seem outrageous that a discount shouldn’t be provided on multiple transactions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Realize it costs money to keep a place open; however, it wouldn’t seem outrageous that a discount shouldn’t be provided on multiple transactions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many do. But its not likely to be just a token charge to add several guns (oe receivers). Also, I apologize if it seemed like I had a bad 'tude'. After re reading I realized it could be taken that way. One of the problems with talking on a board I guess. I just wanted to emphasize there was more than just a few extra lines on a 4473.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    I bought 3 at one time and my FFL only changed me one fee. He said that it only required one NICS check and one 4473.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Humm . The GS literally closest to me is a pure gun store , not even ammo. I can off the top of my head think of two IPs that that are Guns, plus direct related items like ammo, holsters, optics, cleaning supplies .

Definition of purity expand to include some hunting stuff to go with above ? Plenty more of those .

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I'd reach out to Masada Tactical in Pikesville. They might be willing to work out a deal with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom