• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I moved out on my wife a few years ago, but never put in the paperwork to make it legal. She dropped dead in February :sad20:. The PWC cops called me after they found her in her house after neighbors got worried. I managed to get most of her firearms out of the house, but her Ruger SR9 was taken since it was out of the safe. I'm taking possession of said SR9 some time this week. It's going to be, odd, doing this. I still have a lot to do to take care of her estate. At least I got this off of the list of things to do.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks, all. Because of the circumstances around her death, the police took a lot of stuff out of her house. It's pretty sad, when she was sober she was a great person to be with. But she kept going to the bottle instead of learning how to deal with life :(

Kevnev

May 12, 2018
    Sorry to hear that.

Besides the SR9 that was taken by the police, what other firearms were you able to get out of the house?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks, all. Because of the circumstances around her death, the police took a lot of stuff out of her house. It's pretty sad, when she was sober she was a great person to be with. But she kept going to the bottle instead of learning how to deal with life :(

I am sorry to hear that. I hope she finds peace. You can try to help someone, but you can’t make them change. I learned that years ago with my ex-fiancé and a lot of mental health problems she had. It took a couple of years for me to realize I couldn’t make her get the help she needed and I couldn’t make her stick with meds.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I’m sorry alcohol destroyed your marriage.

A habitual drunk with a house full of guns sounds like a bad combination.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    All guns were kept in my safe until put to use.

And here's some goat pellets. The detective on the case asked me for a background check to get the gun. That was over the phone. I get to the evidence building, and they're running another background check on me before they'll release the Ruger. This is on top of the 2+ months the ATF had it to check if it was stolen. I've got a resident Virginia carry permit, and a DoD ID card. I just bought a pistol last month. On top of the 40+ guns I have now. These people need to get their act together and stop wasting taxpayer money on redundant background checks.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul

And here's some goat pellets. The detective on the case asked me for a background check to get the gun. That was over the phone. I get to the evidence building, and they're running another background check on me before they'll release the Ruger. This is on top of the 2+ months the ATF had it to check if it was stolen. I've got a resident Virginia carry permit, and a DoD ID card. I just bought a pistol last month. On top of the 40+ guns I have now. These people need to get their act together and stop wasting taxpayer money on redundant background checks.

You see, that's just it... they want to make you feel like you shouldn't have it. Even if they're forced to give it to you.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD

Sorry for your loss and the extra checks.

You still haven't jumped through the hoops we in Maryland need to, and at least you have your carry permit. We have one check and $100+ just for the hql. Then another check and 7 day wait for each handgun we buy. And no ccw for the average citizen. Does that change your perspective?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    We had waiting periods in several counties here back in the day. Same with one gun a month. Fortunately, common sense prevailed and we don't have those regulations anymore.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    We had waiting periods in several counties here back in the day. Same with one gun a month. Fortunately, common sense prevailed and we don't have those regulations anymore.

Please ship a double load of that common sense stuff direct to Annapolis PLEASE.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE

I wonder if all this BS is just to test a person's resolve to get something done? Good on you OP for seeing it through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom