Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Finished SPR, with Millet DMS-1.

leftsideprofile.jpg

rightprofile.jpg

AAC brake/flasher.
    aacbrake.jpg

Between the mass of the rifle and the AAC brake, shooting 5.56 ammo is like shooting a rimfire. Need a two-point sling for this, may go VTAC for that.

Jim

bryanjusmc

Celer Silens Mortalis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Edgemere
    here is the first build that i put together, I was looking for something that was a little more off the beaten AR path.

Hopefully you like it as much as I do:)

That looks awesome! Give us some details! Is that 5.56 or 5.7? Does it feed from the top?

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    That looks awesome! Give us some details! Is that 5.56 or 5.7? Does it feed from the top?
    it's a 5.7x28 upper. yep it feeds from the top just like a PS90, and the spend casings go out there the standard magazine well. I took an old .223 mag and trimmed the top so it would slide in like normal, so it looks cool and it catches my brass:-)

It also takes standard PS90 magazines, and they are all 50 rounders, but I think you can also get 10 round mags for it as well...that's no fun though.

bryanjusmc

Celer Silens Mortalis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Edgemere
    it's a 5.7x28 upper. yep it feeds from the top just like a PS90, and the spend casings go out there the standard magazine well. I took an old .223 mag and trimmed the top so it would slide in like normal, so it looks cool and it catches my brass:-)

It also takes standard PS90 magazines, and they are all 50 rounders, but I think you can also get 10 round mags for it as well...that's no fun though.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Coolest thing I've seen all day! I bet its a blast. Who makes the upper? Is it a standard AR lower?

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: Coolest thing I've seen all day! I bet its a blast. Who makes the upper? Is it a standard AR lower?
    it's a lot of fun, cause it's a smaller cartridge than your standard .223, but the bullet is actually a little bigger. You can check it out at www.ar57center.com, but I purchased it from copesdistributing.com. They had the best price that I found.

Yes, it does fit on a standard AR lower, just like a .223 upper. it's also supper easy to keel clean. When you take the upper off, the bolt just slides out, no worries of DI system of the standard uppers. AR57center.com has a lot of good information about, you can see about how the whole thing works.

If I get a chance I will post some additional pics, but just google it and there are a lot of good pics. It looks really sweet at a SBR, but don't have the $$ for that yet.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I just bought 2 lowers from Keepshooting and hope to have the paperwork soon. Now comes the hard part trying to figure out what to make with them

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County

I was gonna say, doesnt that Pmag get in the way of your ejecting brass?

I was contemplating one of these, but was not completely convinced it wasn't gimicky.

I believe a Range report is called for!

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    My 2 new Zombie Killers

Just got these 2 Spikes lowers in the May group buy. Just finished putting the 2nd one together yesterday. The top one has a Spikes 16 inch midlength upper, and the bottom has a 20 inch upper with the triangle handguards. These were my first 2 AR builds ever and I don't have the proper tools. Despite this I think I got them together correctly. They will be going to the range soon.

Attachments

• DSCN0885.jpg
      DSCN0885.jpg
      56.6 KB · Views: 497

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    like it says under my name "new guy", what you are looking for in a range report? sorry for the ignorance...

No worries mate.

have you been out to shoot it?
    did it hit what you aimed at?(if you really feel you must post group measurement u can)
    did it run smoothly? did the brass eject ok? did it feed well?
    did you like it?
    is it your favorite rifle ever?

will you be making any changes to it now that you've tried it out?

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Just got these 2 Spikes lowers in the May group buy. Just finished putting the 2nd one together yesterday. The top one has a Spikes 16 inch midlength upper, and the bottom has a 20 inch upper with the triangle handguards. These were my first 2 AR builds ever and I don't have the proper tools. Despite this I think I got them together correctly. They will be going to the range soon.

you got your magpul MBUS mounted backwards on the top AR

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    You are definately right. I didn't even think about a right or wrong direction when I put it on. I was quite excited as that was the last piece. If that's the only thing I put on incorrectly I will be very happy with these 2 rifles. Thanks.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    You are definately right. I didn't even think about a right or wrong direction when I put it on. I was quite excited as that was the last piece. If that's the only thing I put on incorrectly I will be very happy with these 2 rifles. Thanks.

no problem, when i get new things, i tend to either install them incorrectly, or drop them...i just dropped a container the other night containing a new tarantula, i dropped it 8 feet...i was lucky it didnt get out, and i still alive hahahaa.

but either way, great looking rifles!

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    MBUS now attached in correct direction. You might notice I now also have my tacticool black ninja socks on now.

Attachments

• DSCN0886.jpg
      DSCN0886.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 499

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    No worries mate.

have you been out to shoot it?
    did it hit what you aimed at?(if you really feel you must post group measurement u can)
    did it run smoothly? did the brass eject ok? did it feed well?
    did you like it?
    is it your favorite rifle ever?

will you be making any changes to it now that you've tried it out?

Gotcha! Thanks...

Been out shooting i several times. I originally had a cheap bushnell red dot sight on it, but b/c the back part of rail was short and the bushnell was a little long when I shot even with a lower recoil it still came close to giving me a little kiss. I traded with a friend for the EOTECH, and got it sighted in about 10 shots. All my groups were in about 2" space @ 100 yds. and follow up shots were very smooth because of the lower recoil than a stnd. .223. I had no problems with cases ejecting, gravity took car of that, and everything fed super smooth. The only thing I did notice is that with this upper my bolt catch doesn't work. That's (i believe) because I can't use a standard mag, so it doesn't have anything to catch on, please correct me if you think i'm mistaken.

I only have one lower, so i switch out the 5.7 upper for my .223 when comparing. My .223 is brand new and i have only had about 100 rnds through it, and i've probably got 7-800 through 5.7. I think it shoots great, and i was looking for something a little different then what everyone else starts out with. I would highly recommend it, and I get tons of watchful eyes when I take it to the range., which turns into questions, but it's all good.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Gotcha! Thanks...

Been out shooting i several times. I originally had a cheap bushnell red dot sight on it, but b/c the back part of rail was short and the bushnell was a little long when I shot even with a lower recoil it still came close to giving me a little kiss. I traded with a friend for the EOTECH, and got it sighted in about 10 shots. All my groups were in about 2" space @ 100 yds. and follow up shots were very smooth because of the lower recoil than a stnd. .223. I had no problems with cases ejecting, gravity took car of that, and everything fed super smooth. The only thing I did notice is that with this upper my bolt catch doesn't work. That's (i believe) because I can't use a standard mag, so it doesn't have anything to catch on, please correct me if you think i'm mistaken.

I only have one lower, so i switch out the 5.7 upper for my .223 when comparing. My .223 is brand new and i have only had about 100 rnds through it, and i've probably got 7-800 through 5.7. I think it shoots great, and i was looking for something a little different then what everyone else starts out with. I would highly recommend it, and I get tons of watchful eyes when I take it to the range., which turns into questions, but it's all good.

How much 5.7 brass can that 30 round GI mag hold? I know the 5.7 rounds are tiny . That's a really cool idea, BTW. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom