• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deerhtr

Nov 22, 2011
    eastern shore
    ok first question. do gunshops normally do a background check when you take your shotgun in for repair.

now the story, somebody i know well took his semiauto shotgun in for repair. he has borrowed my pump to use for duck season. the story im getting is the store ran a background check and it came back as flagged and he cant get his gun back.

question 2 does this sound legit. im thinking there is more to the story but wanted some input from the group.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    ok first question. do gunshops normally do a background check when you take your shotgun in for repair.

now the story, somebody i know well took his semiauto shotgun in for repair. he has borrowed my pump to use for duck season. the story im getting is the store ran a background check and it came back as flagged and he cant get his gun back.

question 2 does this sound legit. im thinking there is more to the story but wanted some input from the group.
    Not your problem just get ur gun back!!!!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If true, sounds to me like an over zealous repair shop.

If true, please come back and tell us the name of the shop.

If they're running background checks on every gun that comes in for repair, then folks should stop taking their guns to that shop.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I think any FFL that receives any firearm for repairs,sales etc. Runs a mandatory background check to save their asses incase if its reported stolen or in possession of a prohibited person.

So you're saying Colt, Ruger, S&W, Savage, Browning, and all the other repair facilities are running/should run a background check on all guns that come in for repair.

Or is this intrusiveness just OK for an LGS?

Mr H

Banana'd
    I find this odd...

I have given over handguns for repair, and the only information I provided was my name and phone#, so that they could put a tag on them, and call me when they were ready.

From the limited info here, I see 3 possibilities re: the 'smith...

Idiot
    Paranoid
    Compromised

Some combination of these is also possible, IMO.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Yeah, I'd focus on getting your shotgun back pronto. Your buddy's story sounds a bit fishy. If he failed a NICS check because he's a prohibited person he could be putting you at risk.

I would venture that his semi-auto cost more to repair than he was expecting. He might just be leaving it at the gunsmith and writing it off as a total loss.

Who knows? Get your shotgun back ASAP.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Won’t it be tricky to convince the shopowner that it is in fact his gun? I have photos of my guns (including s/n #), and a log. I don’t think everyone has that, or similar anyway. Even then do you think this would be enough? Hopefully the OP was there when it was dropped off and he has an in-person familiarity with the shop. This OP story kinda made me cringe as to what may come in MD ......

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    So I've done some research on this previously and here is what I found.

If the FFL puts any firearm into any of their official books (repairs, consignments, transfers, whatever), then the owner must fill out a 4473 and the FFL must run a NICS to release it back to the owner. If the firearm was not entered into their books, then they can just give it back.

That being said, its the FFL's license and if they want to "cya", then that's what they are going to do. If your friend was delayed or denied, the FFL should have given them the disposition number and they can contact NICS and find out why so they can get it cleared up. I've heard of people not providing their SSN that get denied and then when they provide it, it goes through.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

If the FFL puts any firearm into any of their official books (repairs, consignments, transfers, whatever), then the owner must fill out a 4473 and the FFL must run a NICS to release it back to the owner. If the firearm was not entered into their books, then they can just give it back.

say what, a dealer repairing your firearm has to run a background check? really? my understanding is that is not true. and my understanding is if a dealer takes your gun for repairs they must enter it on their books (bound book) but no 4473/nics. of course my understanding could be wrong.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Won’t it be tricky to convince the shopowner that it is in fact his gun? I have photos of my guns (including s/n #), and a log. I don’t think everyone has that, or similar anyway. Even then do you think this would be enough? Hopefully the OP was there when it was dropped off and he has an in-person familiarity with the shop. This OP story kinda made me cringe as to what may come in MD ......

The way I was read it, the gun at the shop belongs to the Potentially Prohibited Person, not the OP. The OP's shotgun is in the possession of the PPP as a loaner because the PPP's was in the shop.

So...while the OP should indeed be reclaiming his gun from the PPP asap, it's not as bad as it could have been (for the OP):shrug:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

That being said, its the FFL's license and if they want to "cya", then that's what they are going to do. If your friend was delayed or denied, the FFL should have given them the disposition number and they can contact NICS and find out why so they can get it cleared up. I've heard of people not providing their SSN that get denied and then when they provide it, it goes through.

Again, this 4473/NICS/Repair crap isn't taking place where you mail your firearm so it can be serviced.

These service centers get the gun, log the gun, fix the gun, and ship the gun back to the owner. Sans background check.

Maybe our local gun shops can weigh in on this. And tell us if it's a federally mandated requirement that they can't repair and release a firearm without another background check being run.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Your buddy/friend should have immediately received the other half of the repair tag. I cant imagine a background check done before the problem was communicated, course of action or repairs to be made were finalized and the shotgun turned over to the shop until repairs were finalized.
    Sounds like some BS going on to me somewhere along the line.
    Who runs the shop?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I think any FFL that receives any firearm for repairs,sales etc. Runs a mandatory background check to save their asses incase if its reported stolen or in possession of a prohibited person.

What do you mean a background check? You're kind of messed up here.

A background check is done on a person and it requires certain information. Firearm sales, that would be a NICS check.

You don't perform a "background check" on an item. That would be performed through NCIC through your local LE agency. Like a pawn shop would for hot items.

So what is it that you think gun repair shops do? And when? And what is that shop to do if they do a "background check" on a customer and he is in fact prohibited in possession? Do they detain the guy? LOL

deerhtr

Nov 22, 2011
    eastern shore
    The way I was read it, the gun at the shop belongs to the Potentially Prohibited Person, not the OP. The OP's shotgun is in the possession of the PPP as a loaner because the PPP's was in the shop.

So...while the OP should indeed be reclaiming his gun from the PPP asap, it's not as bad as it could have been (for the OP):shrug:

art is right as to the scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom