• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    My son will be 18 in a couple months and I'd like to give him an AR15 for his birthday. I know for him to own an AR it would have to be an HBAR. My question is, can I purchase a lower, and build one with an HBAR upper, and give/transfer it to him? Or would I have to buy a complete HBAR rifle?

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Yes you can buy a lower and build just remember once it’s buiit into a rifle the lower cannot be configured into a pistol later on

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Yep... no need to transfer through FFL. HBAR is cash and carry and allowed to be privately transferred between two MD citizens who are not prohibited. Enjoy that freedom while it lasts... and Happy Birthday to your son... that will be an awesome present.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Why not give him the $ or a gift certificate for the local LGS and let him have the full MD buying experience?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    In fact, you can gift rifles to your kids when they're 16, or under 16 if they've passed hunter safety training. MD entrusts parents to make responsible decisions.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    Thanks for the replies, sounds like gifting is the way to go. I did kinda want him to go through the buying experience but a gifted gun has more benefits. He'll have plenty of time to jump through the MD hoops in the future, unless he's as smart as I think he is and gets the hell out of MD after college.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Just get the HBAR from the outset. It might be a fun project and good bonding experience to build one up from an upper and lower, but between you and me, I wouldn't want that headache - save that one for after he's 21 and you can legally transfer the regulated lower.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No, no , Gifting a Rifle to an 18yo is Wonderful !

I was referring to the " make into a pistol first before subsequently building as a rifle " part .

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    I gifted a hbar that I built , spikes lower with a del-ton upper, to my 40 year old little brother. Now I have another buddy to go to the range with.

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    So please tell me if I have this right. As I understand it a stripped lower, although not a regulated firearm, still has to be purchased with a 77R or 77E and you still must suffer the 7 day wait, but once I attach it to a MD compliant HBAR upper it can be gifted, sold, or otherwise transferred to any non prohibited MD resident with involving MSP or an FFL?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    So please tell me if I have this right. As I understand it a stripped lower, although not a regulated firearm, still has to be purchased with a 77R or 77E and you still must suffer the 7 day wait, but once I attach it to a MD compliant HBAR upper it can be gifted, sold, or otherwise transferred to any non prohibited MD resident with involving MSP or an FFL?

Yup. MSP only wants it on a 77r because it "can" be built into a pistol, but since it can also be built into a rifle it does not take a hql.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Correct. Also per Bigfoot, not you sound inclined, don’t make it a pistol and then convert to a rifle before gifting. Yes it would let him turn it back to a pistol when he turns 21 if he wanted to. Downside is that sounds VERY legal grey area of transferring what used to be a pistol to someone under 21 in MD.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yup. MSP only wants it on a 77r because it "can" be built into a pistol, but since it can also be built into a rifle it does not take a hql.

Nope, because it is the lower of a banned firearm. It can be built in to a legal configuration, which is why you can buy it, but it goes through the 77r process. Prior to 2013, it would be the lower of a regulated firearm.

That is what my LGS told me. Since you can buy things like dedicated 9mm AR lowers, AR-10 lowers, etc cash and carry...and especially a 9mm lower can be built in to a pistol, I am inclined to believe what my LGS was telling me.

Not calling you out, just saying what my LGS was telling me seems to jive.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Buy a complete HBAR. Dont mess with piecing one together unless you know what you are doing or have someone who knows what they are doing to guide you. Problems with the a homebuild AR of questionable provenance and poor reliability AR may sour him to the design.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Buy a complete HBAR. Dont mess with piecing one together unless you know what you are doing or have someone who knows what they are doing to guide you. Problems with the a homebuild AR of questionable provenance and poor reliability AR may sour him to the design.

YES! That's what I tell my friends who start showing interest, but want to do it on the cheap. You want your first AR to work right...right out of the box. Screw around with your second ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom