• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So a quickie review of the basic Redhead 24 gun safe from Bass Pro. It is made by Winchester and appears to be just a rebranded Winchester Bandit safe. 45 minute fire rating at 1400f. A LOT better than most other entry level safes which are usually 30 minutes at 1200. Fire protection was the primary reason I got the safe. Tougher on a snatch and grab as well. Oh and more space. I had a maxed out 10 gun Stack on locker before.

Interior is pretty well upholstered. Shelves have a lot of adjustability. Good door pocket organizers. 4 pistol holders, 2 small and 2 large zipable pockets.

Online and I think one answered FAQ says that it does not have an outlet.

It has an outlet. So big bonus there that I wasn’t expecting. It can be bolted to the floor using 4 capped holes out the bottom.

My rough estimate is with the center divider and the stand offs that came with the safe you could probably fit around 16 long guns with a mix of AR type and scoped rifles with a few iron sight rifles and shotguns mixed in. There is really only room for 2 >48” long guns on one side with the recess cut in to the top shelf. You MIGHT fit 4 crammed in there. Maybe. If you took out the center divider and stand offs and used rifle rods you’d probably fit 30-35 rifles depending on what they were, but you’d be playing Chinese fire drill to get anything out if it wasn’t in front.

The top shelf can be removed or raised up though, allowing clearance for more >48” firearms. My 870 with a 28” Barrel is the only one that won’t fit under the top shelf. My Winchester 20ga 370 single shot and Sears .410 pump both with 26” barrels and 3” chambers all fit under with a bit of clearance to them.

The S&G combo lock seems really nice. I wanted a combo over an electronic. The mechanical locks seem a bit more reliable and never any worries about a battery running out and not having a spare, or an EMP locking you out of your stuff (not that paranoid. But I am a little that paranoid). My next safe will be an electronic lock. But since this is where everything gets locked up for now...bonus points for a mechanical lock. Also if there is a fire, there is at least a chance I might be able to get in to the safe post fire, rather than having to get a locksmith or cutting through the safe myself. Not so with an electronic lock.

The website LIES on weight. Website claims 398lbs. The sticker on the door says 454lbs. I believe the door sticker. My wife and I took the door off and moved it down to my basement ourselves. Door was about 100lbs if the weight and the dividers maybe another 20. Still >300lbs.

At 14ga body, it isn’t going to deter a determined person with power tools, or someone with a sledge hammer, an axe and maybe half an hour or an hour of time on their hands. It should be pretty pry proof once bolted down. It will stop a snatch and grab and hopefully should protect everything in any reasonable fire (we live a mile from the fire station). Where it is installed you aren’t going to be able to get a large pry bar on the door.

They are regularly $799, but BPS had it on sale for $530 for Blackfriday and I knocked 12% with discounted gift cards. Shipped to store and took it home a week later.

They had a similar sale on it last Blackfriday as well as their 14 gun model and the nicer 25gun ultra fire resistant safe (12ga body, 60 minute, 1400F rating). So if you want a really nice, but entry level safe and can wait, I’d bet they’ll have them on sale again next Blackfriday.

Also wife says “F-you if you ever want to move a safe in to the basement again”.

So I guess when I run out of room I am getting a garage safe :sad20:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Thanks for your review and congrats on your purchase!

If you want to save your guns from fire, consider a rider on your homeowner's insurance. Fire rated gun safes rely on a few layers of gypsum board (aka drywall). A fire bad enough to ruin your guns will do so with or without the gypsum board. A fireproof safe is very different than a fire resistant safe.

I've considered (and still debating) installing a sprinkler system in the sensitive areas of my house I want to better fireproof.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks for your review and congrats on your purchase!

If you want to save your guns from fire, consider a rider on your homeowner's insurance. Fire rated gun safes rely on a few layers of gypsum board (aka drywall). A fire bad enough to ruin your guns will do so with or without the gypsum board. A fireproof safe is very different than a fire resistant safe.

I've considered (and still debating) installing a sprinkler system in the sensitive areas of my house I want to better fireproof.

Within reason true. Gypsum works reasonably well to resist fire. High heat causes it to disassociate and release water vapor, cooling the gypsum. A really stinking hot fire is absolutely going to destroy it and everything in it. But again, I do live very close to the fire station. So I figure it gives a reasonable hope of protecting what is in it. Plus an extra layer of defense for the fire resistant “brief case” safe that I’ve had for awhile that is rated for electronics and paper documents. Throw a hard drive of family photos and videos, tax returns, what not in there and give it a much better chance of making it through a house fire.

I do need to increase my coverage on my homeowner’s sometime soon. I am probably close to the limit of the $5k coverage on just firearms (and I need to check to see if it covers firearm related things like ammunition loss, scopes, etc.). Probably no.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I do need to increase my coverage on my homeowner’s sometime soon. I am probably close to the limit of the $5k coverage on just firearms (and I need to check to see if it covers firearm related things like ammunition loss, scopes, etc.). Probably no.

Most policies only go up to 2500. If you get a rider, you can also insure the value of the optics and other accessories that are on it. Make sure you itemize everything in an Excel spreadsheet and you'll be fine. I did it for my things, and I can help you make one, if you'd like.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Most policies only go up to 2500. If you get a rider, you can also insure the value of the optics and other accessories that are on it. Make sure you itemize everything in an Excel spreadsheet and you'll be fine. I did it for my things, and I can help you make one, if you'd like.

I’ll have to triple check, but I am pretty sure my coverage is $5k right now and an option to 10k without a seperate rider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom