• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    All - I have a greenlight to proceed. Aiming for a late January or early February time frame. Please look for the official post sometime in the next few days in this sub forum.

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    Question for you guys who have done this before, especially the Eley Practical Rimfire Challenge at Peacemaker. Is it best for a total newbie to start with a semi auto or a bolt gun?

I really plan to shoot this event and will also be trying out the 2018 Eley PRC events as well. I currently have a semi-auto plinker that is minute of coke can "accurate". Is this good enough to have fun and not totally make a fool of myself? I know I will need to practice like hell and get good dope no matter what I use.

Thanks!

dghboy315

Dave Luu
    Mar 5, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    Question for you guys who have done this before, especially the Eley Practical Rimfire Challenge at Peacemaker. Is it best for a total newbie to start with a semi auto or a bolt gun?

I really plan to shoot this event and will also be trying out the 2018 Eley PRC events as well. I currently have a semi-auto plinker that is minute of coke can "accurate". Is this good enough to have fun and not totally make a fool of myself? I know I will need to practice like hell and get good dope no matter what I use.

Thanks!

I'd say you need something that can shoot around a MOA. I've a seen a bunch of affordable, off the rack 22lr rifles that have competed in the PRC and done very well. I don't think it really matters if you have a semi-auto or bolt gun. Tom, the MD at Peacemaker, has said he design stages so neither type of rifle would have an advantage. My advice would be to get a bunch of different 22lr match ammo and test out your existing rifle. If you find something that can shoot under 1" at 50 yards, you should be fine.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD

Thanks!

Accuracy first. Semi auto is easier because you dont have to break your hold to rack the bolt. You can get accuracy cheaper in a bolt gun. Very few of the stages will a bolt gun hold you back if you are practiced at using it on the clock. The savage Mark II is hard to beat for the money and stock setup to stock setup you will find accuracy hard to beat pricewise.
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    Accuracy first. Semi auto is easier because you dont have to break your hold to rack the bolt. You can get accuracy cheaper in a bolt gun. Very few of the stages will a bolt gun hold you back if you are practiced at using it on the clock. The savage Mark II is hard to beat for the money and stock setup to stock setup you will find accuracy hard to beat pricewise.
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR

Funny, I'm looking for an excuse to get a bolt gun. I have been leaning toward the new B22FV-SR

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom