• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    and to think in PA download a form on the internet send money go pick up your ccw in a few days. I Love Maryland !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon you know it's super dangerous up there in PA. How dare the government let citizens exercise rights. It is just too dangerous. :lol2:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Any restrictions?

Typical Business Restrictions. The nature of my business is 24x7 so it covers me pretty well. I'd certainly rather have my old "unrestricted" permit from when I was Corrections Officer. A no restrictions permit isn't going to happen for a regular citizen in MD anytime soon. We just have to keep fighting.

Even the word "permit" is a restriction in and of itself. How do you issue a permit for God given right? Sorry I realize I am preaching to the choir.

forkauto

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Sep 26, 2013
    Hampstead, Md
    I finally got ahold of someone at MSP licensing yesterday, they said its in process and wouldn't give up anything more. I applied as a business owner. I applied on 9/26 and still no interview/nothing, oh well. I guess I will hurry up, and wait!

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I finally got ahold of someone at MSP licensing yesterday, they said its in process and wouldn't give up anything more. I applied as a business owner. I applied on 9/26 and still no interview/nothing, oh well. I guess I will hurry up, and wait!

The wait was killer especially when you see how fast other States do it.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House

I'm in same boat from 9/20

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

br3krj

Libertarian Conservative
    Oct 25, 2009
    Harford County
    Typical Business Restrictions. The nature of my business is 24x7 so it covers me pretty well. I'd certainly rather have my old "unrestricted" permit from when I was Corrections Officer. A no restrictions permit isn't going to happen for a regular citizen in MD anytime soon. We just have to keep fighting. Even the word "permit" is a restriction in and of itself. How do you issue a permit for God given right? Sorry I realize I am preaching to the choir.

Absolutely agree. I did get a restricted permit also as a business owner but I carry it with mixed emotions. Would prefer an unrestricted permit but would really prefer to live in a state that recognizes my true rights. Also preaching to the choir!

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I have volunteered to be the guinea pig for attempted removal of the MD ONLY restriction. I just mailed off a request to modify my restrictions. I requested that the MD only restriction be removed. I also requested that my restriction be relaxed to include: and while transporting business equipment. I have a business license in Michigan and Michigan will honor a Maryland permit which is why I requested the MD only restriction be removed. I included a copy of the Michigan State Police bulletin and my Michigan Business License. In requesting the relaxing of the business equipment restriction I explained that my business equipment (laptop, etc.) includes personal and confidential client information including credit card numbers, Social Security numbers, alarm codes, lock box codes, and inventories of jewelry and precious metals located in private and business residences. I will update when I get a reply.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I have volunteered to be the guinea pig for attempted removal of the MD ONLY restriction. I just mailed off a request to modify my restrictions. I requested that the MD only restriction be removed. I also requested that my restriction be relaxed to include: and while transporting business equipment. I have a business license in Michigan and Michigan will honor a Maryland permit which is why I requested the MD only restriction be removed. I included a copy of the Michigan State Police bulletin and my Michigan Business License. In requesting the relaxing of the business equipment restriction I explained that my business equipment (laptop, etc.) includes personal and confidential client information including credit card numbers, Social Security numbers, alarm codes, lock box codes, and inventories of jewelry and precious metals located in private and business residences. I will update when I get a reply.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I dont understand why you would request the "MD Only" be removed from a Maryland permit. It will come back denied. No State can say you can carry in another State unless the State has Reciprocity.

If Michigan states they accept the MD permit it should be a none issue. If I understand your thinking it is:

Michigan wont accept my MD permit because my MD permit says "restricted to MD only". However each state's permit is restricted to that state whether stated or not.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I dont understand why you would request the "MD Only" be removed from a Maryland permit. It will come back denied. No State can say you can carry in another State unless the State has Reciprocity.

If Michigan states they accept the MD permit it should be a none issue. If I understand your thinking it is:

Michigan wont accept my MD permit because my MD permit says "restricted to MD only". However each state's permit is restricted to that state whether stated or not.

1. It may or may not come back denied for that portion of my request (removal of MD ONLY restriction). Since I used the words "if at all possible" and made clear that it was a separate request I could really care less if they deny that portion of my request. I added it to my request because I was making a request for modification anyway.

2. Like any other state a Michigan prosecutor could say you are carrying outside of your "restrictions" on your home state permit and prosecute even if you are not initially arrested by a LEO. As the law in Michigan does not address non-resident restrictions I decided to ask. I see no harm in asking. If they will not remove it I am ok with that.

3. Perhaps most importantly I want to see how hard MSP scrutinizes restriction modification requests. I have been issued a MD handgun permit in the past (former Corrections Officer) and it did not say "MD ONLY". Of course in the 90's it looked like Virginia's non-resident permit does now so things were a lot less advanced then. FYI - even permits issued to Corrections Officers now say "MD ONLY".

Bottom line if they deny or don't deny that portion of my request I have lost nothing and will have learned something that I can share with others.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    Just had my interview today with a very nice trooper. Asked me some standard questions about my business and then called my fiancé and a couple references. Hopefully I'll get approved soon

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Just had my interview today with a very nice trooper. Asked me some standard questions about my business and then called my fiancé and a couple references. Hopefully I'll get approved soon

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I am sure you will. The wait after the interview wasn't too bad for me. Approximately 30 days.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    With my Maryland permit added to the mix I created the map shown to help me remember where and how I can carry. Of course many of the states I show as concealed carry will also allow open carry or vehicle carry but my focus was on using those options only when no other option was available. Some open carry states do not allow unlicensed vehicle carry. Denver, CO does not allow open carry, and some cities in Oregon do not allow open carry. Please do your own research based on your own permits/licenses. IANAL

Attachments

• CarryMap.gif
      CarryMap.gif
      18.9 KB · Views: 343

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    My business partner applied 9/29 and got his permit today.

With 30 years as a police officer in Maryland, and retired in good standing, it appears I, who applied the same day, am likely not going to even be issued one. No interview, no references checked. No respect I tell ya!

Oh well, I will just go the LEOSA route and sidestep MSP.

I think what irks me the most is the image of some 5 year Trooper putting the kibosh on my application.

y.pestis

Apr 2, 2013
    You know there are both informal and formal appeal processes? The informal is a civilian board appointed by the governor, but don't let that discourage you. They side against the MSP more than with (this its per my investigator).

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    You know there are both informal and formal appeal processes? The informal is a civilian board appointed by the governor, but don't let that discourage you. They side against the MSP more than with (this its per my investigator).

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Who was your investigator?

IIRC such a statement is without foundation. I will locate the statistics and post a link in a day or two as time allows.

Regardless, I suggest everyone avail themselves of the opportunity to attend an informal review to correct errors, expound on facts and to present a human face.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    No, I paid attention and am well aware of the process, but when one has the option to simply go to MPTC in Sykesville, shoot a 50 round course and get nationwide carry, the time and expense of fighting with MSP becomes a non starter.

The only reason I applied to MSP was that it was free for retired LE and was a "gimme" in the past.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    No, I paid attention and am well aware of the process, but when one has the option to simply go to MPTC in Sykesville, shoot a 50 round course and get nationwide carry, the time and expense of fighting with MSP becomes a non starter.

The only reason I applied to MSP was that it was free for retired LE and was a "gimme" in the past.

My Uncle in Law was talking about this, and I was thoroughly confused. I didn't know LEO had the option to do this until he said something. Glad you verified this.

If I were LEO I would just do this and be done with it. A1 you got it right. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom