• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If they send your DC letter before the 60 days are up, I think it supersedes and constitutes permission to pick up another one before the 60 days. Not just permission, it becomes your Designated sworn duty to Collect. So get out there and Collect!

This ^^^^^^

Just like if you buy one, apply for your DC, get it, then you do not have to wait 30 days from the first one.

And yes, you are sworn to buy more.

Although I had one friend who interpreted the 30 day rule as meaning, "Buy one handgun a month, it is the law." So he did. :D

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I never received the DC letter. After reading this thread I figured I should call MSP to verify. They said I was GTG. I said I never received the original letter, and would they please send me a copy. Trooper on the other end of the phone said they no longer issued letters, and since it was all electronic nowadays, there was no need. We'll see.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I never received the DC letter. After reading this thread I figured I should call MSP to verify. They said I was GTG. I said I never received the original letter, and would they please send me a copy. Trooper on the other end of the phone said they no longer issued letters, and since it was all electronic nowadays, there was no need. We'll see.

This is an extremely very new policy.

What the heck are people going to show the bank teller when they open their Designated Collection of loaded firearms and ask to withdraw money?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If it’s electronic, why do you stil need to submit a notarized paper affidavit?

Because the submission is on paper. I am sure it is tied in on their end to the HQL and 77r process. The electronic version of the 77r asks if you have DC status.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The question was rhetorical. If the system starts with paper it’s not electronic . The HQL app is electronic from start to finish.

That was my point.

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    This is an extremely very new policy.

What the heck are people going to show the bank teller when they open their Designated Collection of loaded firearms and ask to withdraw money?

I also very recently submitted my paperwork. It will be great if anyone else here can confirm this is the new policy. Seems like MSP should give some indication of approval/endorsement.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    I could t find my 15 year old letter last year called them and they said I needed to apply again. Applied again and they issued a new letter with current date. Wish I had the old dated letter but should have kept better track of document.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    I was rejected twice. One because it was not notarized by a notary not registered in MD, the other because I have not bought a gun using my HQL. The third time took only 1 week to approve and receive the letter.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I could t find my 15 year old letter last year called them and they said I needed to apply again. Applied again and they issued a new letter with current date. Wish I had the old dated letter but should have kept better track of document.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My letter is AWOL. Somewhere in my house as far as I know, but in talking with a couple of LGS, they pretty much just went (paraphrasing heavily!) "are you a designated collector? You are. Okay".

Didn't care about seeing my letter. Probably figure if I am lying, MSP catches it (it is a check box you select on the 77r electronic form, not something the FFL does).

j5689

Feb 3, 2017
    Riva, MD
    Like everybody else is saying, the dealer won't care to see your letter because it would be MSP's problem if you lie about being a DC on your 77R. Supposedly MSP will always have your status saved in their system even if you move to a different part of the state or move out of the state and then come back. The only thing you really have to do is just make sure the Yes bubble is checked on your 77R whenever you fill one out and even then it also remembers after the first time unlike the HQL number which you have to retype every single time, probably as an anti-theft measure.

Also in order to be eligible for DC status, you only need to have made a regulated weapon purchase, meaning also an AR lower, which is considered a regulated weapon but still HQL-exempt. I actually got my DC status confirmation letter a few weeks after getting my AR15 lower but a month before I got my HQL.

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    I understand the dealers don’t care about a person having an approved collectors status.

However, if the MSP are not issuing Apporval letters, how are we recent applicants, to know that the MSP knows, that the check box on the 77 is valid?

I guess I’ll call the MSP if I don’t hear anything in a week or two.:sad20:

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Incidentally, I just noticed the following language on the 77r under the checkbox:

Yeah, probably because an FFL might not want to order, say, 4 handguns for you and find out MSP denies it because you aren't really a DC.

But I've been asked three times. Once I said no and the FFL shrugged and said "well, you are only buying two lowers and they are on sale, so you are fine. Just remember you can't buy another for 60 days". I asked if that is something I'd need on me when I buy them and he told me no, just a check box on the form (when it was paper) and "MSP knows if you are or not".

Same one months earlier had told me (buying one) he recommended I get a DC when I said no.

Then a couple of months ago when transferring a couple of lowers I got asked by the FFL and I said yes, he just said. "Okay". And that was that.

I am sure some FFLs ask to see it. Some are probably even uptight about it if you said you A) Don't have the letter on you or B) Don't know where it is, I got it years ago. Or something like that. Talking to folks and my limited experiences (never done more than 2 at once) they might ask, but they don't really care about seeing your letter. But there is always that one edge case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom