• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Nice...

I opted for the 1858 Remington New Army with the extra cylinder. (Cabellas $254.99 shipped to my door)
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4316815&postcount=6

I wanted the "era favorite" with the full steel frame. And the option (if I choose) to use a conversion cylinder and .45 Colt center fire ammo.

image.jpg

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Nice...

I opted for the 1858 Remington New Army with the extra cylinder. (Cabellas $254.99 shipped to my door)
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=4316815&postcount=6

I wanted the "era favorite" with the full steel frame. And the option (if I choose) to use a conversion cylinder and .45 Colt center fire ammo.

View attachment 177380

WOW that's beautiful....Have you shot it yet?

I have been reading watching videos on the history of these guns, I can see this sucking me in

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    WOW that's beautiful....Have you shot it yet?

I have been reading watching videos on the history of these guns, I can see this sucking me in

Not yet... It arrived before my trip to Ga...
    And I just got back.
    So... I'll get to it. :D

I also did a lot of research before buying one. The open top frames tend to have issues with reliability and the sights are very difficult to use. I just like the full frame revolver better as well.

Comparison

Note: In the comparison... The penetration test was done using pine blocks. The Remington showed 1 cm less penetration than the Colt. But you can see where the bullet struck a knot in the test block. I would like to see them compared in a ballistic gel test.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    The head of the screw prevents the wedge from coming out and getting lost, while allowing it to be pulled out enough for disassembly of the gun. There is no need or even reason to remove it. All removing it accomplishes is to wear out the screw, bugger up the slot, and lead to both the screw and the wedge getting lost.

There is no reason or need to even loosen the screw. Next time, try disassembling the gun without so much as touching that screw. You'll see what I mean.

I see now. I'll give it a try. Many thanks.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    So as luck would have it (my Pietta shipped this am, so Ill keep that too) - I came acrossed A colt licensed 1851 Navy today while picking up my recent colt defender I purchased. The price was $325, they say never fired,which I could not believe so I snagged it up. I will post pictures later on tonight when I get home.

Looks exactly like this, so I believe it is second generation. When I did the serial number look up (for mine) it came up as being made in the 1970's

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=557431527#PIC

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Wow, that is great. I predict you are really going to like that '51 Navy. I think those licensed Colts were made by Uberti, with final finishing by Colt.

I've said elsewhere that my very first handgun was an Uberti '51 Navy which I got at the Dallas gun show in the spring of 1980. I have always liked the lines and the handling of the '51. It is just a wonderful piece of art. I think you see now why Wild Bill Hickock, Elmer Kieth, and I like the '51 Navy so much.

Here's mine, among others, in this picture from the thread I linked to in post #8 of this thread.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Wow, that is great. I predict you are really going to like that '51 Navy. I think those licensed Colts were made by Uberti, with final finishing by Colt.

I've said elsewhere that my very first handgun was an Uberti '51 Navy which I got at the Dallas gun show in the spring of 1980. I have always liked the lines and the handling of the '51. It is just a wonderful piece of art. I think you see now why Wild Bill Hickock, Elmer Kieth, and I like the '51 Navy so much.

Here's mine, among others, in this picture from the thread I linked to in post #8 of this thread.

Wow beautiful collection, threeband!

I think your right they were made by uberti, I watched a video that hickok45 posted on YouTube and he said the samething, he was shooting third generation though with Sam colts signature

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom