• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Yeah I do not see this as a big deal. Let's see who the actual nominee is. If Obama does something off-script like nominate Nevada Gov Sandoval, I think that the Senate should look closely and maybe even confirm him.

Of course, if I were Mitch McConnell, I would definitely say "no nominees." I hope people understand what it means to put down a marker in a negotiating position.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    I don't want a Obummer nominee, but I believe in the COUS. Rock, meet hard place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COUS only says that Obama gets to nominate a replacement. The Senate can choose consent or not. All the R's have said is that they won't consent, no matter who it is. Nothing in that process is unconstitutional. Democrats have long done whatever they could to keep R nominees from getting senate appointments as judges & executive branch appointees.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    The Republicans went off half cocked, as usual.

Their courses of action, making up this lame duck nomination stuff and saying they will refuse to consider any nominee played 210% into the Democrats hand. The same people who use the Consitution as toilet paper can now play right off of it and the media will of course have an orgasm with the chance to "Consitution loving" Republicans as hypocrites.

The President's job is to nominate, the Senate's job is to vet and decide if the pick is right for America.

Yep, why don't Republicans just keep their mouth shut. Just more crap they spew of what Obama should or shouldn't, it makes them look really foolish. He's going to nominate, and he already smirked at the mention of a moderate. Now the Senate can put on thier big boy pants and just let it sit.

What the hell is there to debate? Both executive and legislative just follow the rules.. and that means the Senate kills whoever he nominates.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yep, why don't Republicans just keep their mouth shut. Just more crap they spew of what Obama should or shouldn't, it makes them look really foolish. He's going to nominate, and he already smirked at the mention of a moderate. Now the Senate can put on thier big boy pants and just let it sit.

What the hell is there to debate? Both executive and legislative just follow the rules.. and that means the Senate kills whoever he nominates.

Any Senator up for re-election now was elected in 2010. Obama was an issue then, and Obama has not become more popular.

It's an election year, politics is rough and tumble. 6 months from now we will have an actual nominee to oppose and current events will all be noise.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

It is true that the Democrats have much better party discipline in keeping their members' mouths shut when they do something unpopular or tyrannical, and then they let their propaganda ministry deliver and massage the carefully controlled message to the masses. The Repubs don't have a Josh Earnest, Jay Carney, or compliant media.

It is the best propaganda machine in the history of mankind.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Not at all, whoever he nominates will most likely be bad for America and should be filibustered.

I just think leading off the way they did, when the media is out to twist and distort everything you say, and the people who are opposing you control the media, sometimes it's best to not go off half cocked.

This. Do due diligence. Reject the nominee if he/she/it is counter to the Constitution. But don't go around shouting "we're not gonna play!" In other words - do the job.

This is no different than "elect us; give us Congress and we'll fight Obama every step of the way" then they GIVE Obama EVERYTHING he wanted. Fools.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    He can nominate folks till the cows come home.

They can vet, but not vote.

And all the Republicans up for reelection in November will benefit if the Senate puts on their big boy pants and stands firm.

This is a rallying cry for our side.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    The Constitution is clear on this.

For those surprised or appalled or angry about folks saying this or that regarding Scalia's replacement and the process, grow up. Politicians posture and prevaricate. Always have. Always will.

Instead of bitching, how about you actually write a letter to Senate leadership and any Senator you can think of to tell them what you think and why. Use monosyllabic words and keep it short. Tell them exactly why you're concerned. Tell them what you think is at risk. Then close by telling them again why this is a big deal to AMERICA.

Is it better to sit in the dark and bitch or get off your arse, go over and turn in the light and maybe stop by the fridge for a cold beer???

Sit in the dark if you must. Bitching to yourself and not taking action is a choice. Live with it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'll be right back...

Mitch McConnell Contact Information.

Louisville Office

601 W. Broadway
    Room 630
    Louisville, KY 40202
    Phone: (502) 582-6304

Washington Office

317 Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510
    Phone: (202) 224-2541
    Fax: (202) 224-2499

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    The thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the last two justices were nominated by Obozo and confirmed (Sotomayor and Kagan) but neither altered the slight conservative majority held by the Supreme Court. I believe that is why the Republicans did not squawk all that much at either of them. But THIS nomination can have huge implications as to how the Supreme Court makes its decisions going forward and it will NOT favor the U.S. Constitution and will certainly not favor conservative or even moderate philosophies.

It's a shame (criminal, really) that the Supreme Court has devolved into yet another political process where deciding cases on the basis of constitutional law means absolutely nothing but deciding cases based on "what is right" or "what makes common sense" does. That was NOT the intent of the founding fathers.

The Supremes should be basing their decisions, good or bad, on the written law and if the decision is not to the nation's or either political party's liking, it is up to the legislative and executive branches to write a new law or change the old one so that it can pass Supreme Court muster.

There I go looking for that pie in the sky thingie again...

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013

For those surprised or appalled or angry about folks saying this or that regarding Scalia's replacement and the process, grow up. Politicians posture and prevaricate. Always have. Always will.

Instead of bitching, how about you actually write a letter to Senate leadership and any Senator you can think of to tell them what you think and why. Use monosyllabic words and keep it short. Tell them exactly why you're concerned. Tell them what you think is at risk. Then close by telling them again why this is a big deal to AMERICA.

Is it better to sit in the dark and bitch or get off your arse, go over and turn in the light and maybe stop by the fridge for a cold beer???

Sit in the dark if you must. Bitching to yourself and not taking action is a choice. Live with it.

:thumbsup:

Not only that, in the year of Trump, McConnell's bluster barely moved the needle.

Also, I seem to recall a certain freshman Senator from IL filibustering Alito in 2006. That was not even Bush's final year in office. WHat goes around comes around.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    COUS only says that Obama gets to nominate a replacement. The Senate can choose consent or not. All the R's have said is that they won't consent, no matter who it is. Nothing in that process is unconstitutional. Democrats have long done whatever they could to keep R nominees from getting senate appointments as judges & executive branch appointees.

Yes, obviously. That's my point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    And this can't hurt either.

Andy Harris

1533 Longworth HOB
    Washington, DC 20515
    Phone: 202-225-5311
    Fax: 202-225-0254

212 West Main Street Suite 204 B
    Salisbury, MD 21801
    Phone: 443-944-8624
    Fax: 443-944-8625

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks. That's one address for a US Representative/Congressman.

They have shorthand names like HOB for House Office Building or SOB (not for their character or parentage) but Senate Office Building.

There's Dirksen, Russell, Hart, Longworth, etc.

Try contactingthecongress.org

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

I did both, though I got a slug of Scotch and not a beer.

All Maryland eloctoads (except Harris) hate me. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom