• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kalbo

Jun 26, 2018
    Recommendations, thoughts, advice request…

I am NV resident that will be visiting MD for a couple days. CCW permits valid across the States to the VA/MD border. Fundamentally, as I understand MD laws, I cannot bring my CC weapon into MD as I am not transiting MD via interstate travel covered by FOPA.

Can anyone recommend a weapon storage facility in VA that provides secure firearms storage, available to non-VA residents? Travel will bring me through Richmond area, then 301 towards Dahlgren and across Potomac into MD.

Alternatives short of leaving my carry weapon home?

Thanks for the assist.
    Brad

Last edited:

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Recommendations, thoughts, advice request…

I am NV resident that will be visiting MD for a couple days. CCW permits valid across the States to the VA/MD border. Fundamentally, as I understand MD laws, I cannot bring my CC weapon into MD as I am not transiting MD via interstate travel covered by FOPA.

Can anyone recommend a weapon storage facility in VA that provides secure firearms storage, available to non-VA residents? Travel will bring me through Richmond area, then 301 towards Dahlgren and across Potomac into MD.

Alternatives short of leaving my carry weapon home?

Thanks for the assist.
    Brad

not sure about any of this just suggestions theirs two gun shops that may help you could ask them before starting your travels one is a IP on MD Shooters thats D&K he's about 10 miles once you get on 301 north in Caroline County.The other is Big Dogs they are in Dahlgren Va. My 2 cents hope its of help

Kalbo

Jun 26, 2018
    not sure about any of this just suggestions theirs two gun shops that may help you could ask them before starting your travels one is a IP on MD Shooters thats D&K he's about 10 miles once you get on 301 north in Caroline County.The other is Big Dogs they are in Dahlgren Va. My 2 cents hope its of help

Appreciate the feedback. Both are convenient along the drive route. I'll give them a call Saturday morning.

Thanks,
    Brad

Kalbo

Jun 26, 2018
    There is no law against transporting it unloaded and in your trunk to your destination in Marylandistan. Once you arrive at your Marylandistan destination, bring it inside.
    Possessing it is legal; carrying it is not.

Perhaps I misunderstand MD law. While I can easily lock the unloaded firearm in a lock box, ammo in a separate lock box, my destination is a residence that is not in any part mine. The latter I took as unacceptable to MD law.

Brad

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Perhaps I misunderstand MD law. While I can easily lock the unloaded firearm in a lock box, ammo in a separate lock box, my destination is a residence that is not in any part mine. The latter I took as unacceptable to MD law.

Brad

No, you should be good to go. Just keep it unloaded and locked in the trunk per Fopa while you drive. Then you should be able to keep it at your friend/relatives house.

Kalbo

Jun 26, 2018
    No, you should be good to go. Just keep it unloaded and locked in the trunk per Fopa while you drive. Then you should be able to keep it at your friend/relatives house.

Appreciate the clarification.

Thanks,
    Brad

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As noted above , relative's houe = temporary residence .

Unload and properly store outside Md border , proceede directly to relative house aka temporary abode . Take pistol, properly encased inside .

Leave it there during your stay ( unless transporting to approved destination, such as range, etc ) .

When departing, properly store unloaded encased pistol in vehicle , and proceede directly out of Md .

Kalbo

Jun 26, 2018
    Appreciate every response and all information provided.

Fundamentally I will essentially be disarmed in MD…whether I leave my firearm at a gun shop in VA, or if I secured my unloaded firearm in a lock box and ammunition in a separate lock box. I’ve opted to leave my carry weapon at Big Dog’s in King George. Potential issues with MD Johnny law averted.

Spoke with someone at Big Dog’s a few minutes ago. Will leave my firearm with them for cleaning. As my carry weapon, it won’t need cleaning. But a wipe down of sorts never hurts. Big Dog’s will provide a secure stowage and leaving my firearm at Big Dog’s only adds a short period of time to being unarmed.

Also, the opportunity an overzealous MD law enforcement type could ruin my day and by extension a few weeks or more if stopped, prudence says added caution reasonable. IF I encountered an over zealous law enforcement type, I could end up wearing shiny bracelets for a short while, at least minimal time in the klink until I secured a lawyer, and then deal with trying to recover my weapon. Potentially expensive as I reside in NV. Not to mention I'd miss the burial of a dear relative, friend and veteran.

As an aside, if you are ever out Nevada way, we have a nevadashooters.com. Much like mdshooters.com...chock full of great information and helpful folks.

Again, thank you for all of the responses, thoughts, logic…

Brad

Last edited:

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Appreciate every response and all information provided.

Fundamentally I will essentially be disarmed in MD…whether I leave my firearm at a gun shop in VA, or if I secured my unloaded firearm in a lock box and ammunition in a separate lock box. I’ve opted to leave my carry weapon at Big Dog’s in King George. Potential issues with MD Johnny law averted.

Spoke with someone at Big Dog’s a few minutes ago. Will leave my firearm with them for cleaning. As my carry weapon, it won’t need cleaning. But a wipe down of sorts never hurts. Big Dog’s will provide a secure stowage and leaving my firearm at Big Dog’s only adds a short period of time to being unarmed.

Also, the opportunity an overzealous MD law enforcement type could ruin my day and by extension a few weeks or more if stopped, prudence says added caution reasonable. IF I encountered an over zealous law enforcement type, I could end up wearing shiny bracelets for a short while, at least minimal time in the klink until I secured a lawyer, and then deal with trying to recover my weapon. Potentially expensive as I reside in NV. Not to mention I'd miss the burial of a dear relative, friend and veteran.

As an aside, if you are ever out Nevada way, we have a nevadashooters.com. Much like mdshooters.com...chock full of great information and helpful folks.

Again, thank you for all of the responses, thoughts, logic…

Brad
    Glad it worked out for you stopped by their B/D this afternoon looking at milsurp on the way back from the fredericksburg va show.Their good people

Kalbo

Jun 26, 2018
    Thought I'd provide an update.

Big Dog Outfitters in King George worked out perfectly. Only a few miles from the VA/MD border. Big Dog cleaned my carry weapon and I picked it up two days later.

Arrived about thirty minutes before Big Dog opened. Apparently Big Dog staff noticed a few trucks in the parking lot, were ready to open and opened early. Customer friendly!

Folks I interacted with professional, helpful and friendly during drop off and pick up.

If I am in the area and need support, Big Dog will be my go to gun store.

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom