• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Walmart in NC had a chart showing which states' residents they could sell to and there did not seem to be adjacent rules ... various states across the country were marked. This was in or around Oct 2013. They said I could purchase being from MD but I did not, was only curious when I asked, but this was walmart so who knows what that chart really was.

I tend to agree with the last part of your last sentence.

As a MD Licensed Dealer, I can sell most types (not all types) of long guns to people who reside in about 40 of the 50 states in the country. The contiguous state rule hasn't applied in decades.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not since 1986. The adjacent state limitation was removed by FOPA.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'm not sure I can believe some of this. The promoter makes his money 3 ways usually. Concession Stand Sales, Gates Fees and Table Fees. I doubt a promoter is going to ban a dealer for ticky tack issues. That's taking money out of his own pocket. I've only known of a few dealers that were told to leave and never come back. All were due to illegal activities. Preston Jones was one for playing by the rules (usually) and he never banned anyone.

Promoters are out for the money and they won't make it if they start banning vendors for the least little thing. Now, have a vendor sell 30 round mags in MD and I bet they will be banned.

OP is 100% right. One MD promoter, who took over Preston's shows has banned several longtime vendors because all of a sudden they are in competition with his buddies and girl friend. Seems he wants to play all the angles.

zeebill

Jan 2, 2015
    Central West Virginia
    Used to be they tried to make all their money from the gate another words putting on a good show and bringing people into the venue. Now with all the shows being on the same dates and allowing all kinds of products into buy tables they really don't care what kind of show they give you because the tables are all full. Now they are raising rates $20, Showmasters at the Fairmont show is up to $65 a table and others are much over that. Now they are flat making a bundle just renting the tables and could care less what you see or what prices the vendor's have to charge to make ends meet. That means I have to make $390 to just pay my rent not counting food, gas, and time. They are almost to the point where I am going to sit home and sell online myself. What a vicious circle my way of increasing my collection and having fun has become. I enjoy, even with all the work and expense, doing shows because I meet people doing and enjoying the same things I am doing and enjoying but man sooner or later they will hit end of the line for me and other vendors. It is especially hard on all the old guys who like me do it for enjoyment and increasing our collections. Show masters March 7 and 8 at Fairmont may indeed be the end for me and a couple of others. I have already seen a couple of the older guys hang it up and say they are done. Dang shame but the cut throat way the Promoters are running thing s and restrictive laws are catching up with everyone. Bill :sad20:

338lapua09

Feb 7, 2013
    3rd rock from sun
    All this talk reminds me of the Mason/dixon show that has been going down hill for years.Just to name one..

It use to be the go to show .Sad times we live in for sure.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    OP is 100% right. One MD promoter, who took over Preston's shows has banned several longtime vendors because all of a sudden they are in competition with his buddies and girl friend. Seems he wants to play all the angles.

Usually takes a long time for them to realize they have shot themselves in the foot. Sometimes they never do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom