• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I figured it might be beneficial to us if we make a thread dedicated to the various firearm reference books that us collector's might be interested in getting to help further our habit. Like which books we like and would recommend getting or which ones to steer clear of. If it generates enough interest, perhaps we could get this turned into a sticky so newbies or anyone else can look it over.

Just recently I realized how woefully inadequate my C&R reference book collection was. I kept relying on other people online for the information I desired. In the past month, I've probably spent $500+ buying books on the different types of firearms I collect. Now, I have all that knowledge in my own hands.

Please feel free to add your favorite books or suggest anything that would be helpful.

The "Karabiner 98k & Kreigsmodell" book Volumes by Bruce Karem and Michael Steves is probably the single best series on the German K98k you can ever find. The books are hardcover and all 4 books comprise probably close to 2000 pages of information about all variations from Pre-War to the end of WW2. There's tons of color photos and original documents pictured as well.

https://www.thirdpartypress.com/

I'd seriously recommend buying all 4 books now as Vol. I & Vol. III are out of print and copies are seriously low in quantity now. Vol. 2 was just released this past week. The authors were kind enough to send me signed copies.

"Military Rifles of Japan" by Frank Honeycutt is a great reference on the various Arisaka and other rifles used by Japan from Pre-WW1 up through WW2. Mr. Honeycutt actually sells the newer 5th Edition on Amazon. He will also sign your copy if you ask him too. I just bought one from him about a week ago.

"Bayonets of Japan: A Comprehensive Reference on Japanese Bayonets" by Raymond Labar is probably the single best book on bayonets I've ever seen. It literally goes over every variation imaginable, from early Musket & Foreign made bayonets up through the various fighting knives and post WW2. The book is out of print so you might have some trouble finding it. I was lucky enough to find a copy last week for $100.

"The German Rifle" by John Walter is an older book on the various German made rifles from the Dreyse Needle Gun up through the Mauser. It's got a few mistakes but does a good job going over the different types and is still a good read.

"Mauser Military Rifles of the World" by Robert Ball is a must have if you collect Mauser rifles. It gives a great overview over pretty much every single model adopted by every country who used a Mauser rifle.

"The Model 1891 Carcano Rifle" by Giovanni Chegia & Alberto Simonelli is a great book that goes over most every Carcano Rifle variation and goes over the history and usage of the design.

"A Collector's Guide to the German Gew. 88 "Commission" Rifles and Carbines" by Paul Scarlata. It does a good job of going over the Gew 88 Rifles & Carbines and provides a lot of nice background history and pictures of the rifle in use. It also goes over disassembly which is nice. For the price, it's pretty much a must have if you own a Gewehr 88.

The only thing that bothered me was that it didn't seem to discuss the Gewehr 88/S. I mean the actual 88/S, the fairly rare wartime modification that had the rear sight re-calibrated for the S ammunition. Not the commonly termed "88S" that most people mistake it for that just has the "S" mark on the receiver.

Apparently Deiter Storz's book on the Gewehr 88 Rifle is the best and most comprehensive book on the subject. Mr. Storz is the curator of the Bavarian Military Museum.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    "The Type 38 Arisaka: A Study of the Japanese Rifles and Carbines Based Upon the Type 38 Arisaka Action, Their Variations and History" by Francis C. Allan, Harold W. Macy, and Joseph P. Koss. Extensively covers all variations of the Type 38 rifle and carbines, Type 44, and foreign variations (Chinese, Mexican, etc.). Lots of detailed photos of markings and extremely thorough history.

"The Japanese Type 99 Arisaka Rifle" by Don Voigt. Similar to the above in detail, extensively covers history and all variations such as long and short rifles, snipers, Naval Specials, etc.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    What would you suggest as the go to book for M1 Garands. Just bought my first one (rifle)
    and would like to know more about the platform and maintenance and what to look out for as well as dating the parts and getting a history of the gun as well as disassembly and re assembly. Just trying to keep it simple!

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    What would you suggest as the go to book for M1 Garands. Just bought my first one (rifle)
    and would like to know more about the platform and maintenance and what to look out for as well as dating the parts and getting a history of the gun as well as disassembly and re assembly. Just trying to keep it simple!
    T pm drmsparks or orlando lots of Garand knowledge between those two mds peeps

Stoic58

Jan 10, 2013
    Silver Spring
    Book of Pistols and Revolvers by W.H.B. Smith describes many early and mid-20th century handguns, listed by caliber, with cut-away views and disassembly instructions for some. Towards the back of the book is an identification section for small automatic pistols (.25, .32, and .380).

I have the Castle Books 7th edition of 1968. The book can't go into extreme detail on each gun (like Luger variations, for example), but as an overview it's very useful.

Jul 1, 2012
    Bruce Canfields M1 Garand Rifle book is pretty good, lots of info & history.

Didn't we have a thread like this at one point? Maybe Machodoc?

Anyway, tons of potential here :)

A lot of the good books are extremely pricey.
    Moderate priced:

Derby & Brown, Japanese Military Cartrige Handguns 1893-1945 (a must have)
    Doug Sheldon, Colt's .38 Automatic Pistols
    William Goddard, The Government Models (a must have for early Colt collectors)
    Poyer, The Model 1911 and 1911A1 ... (a must have)
    Dieter Marschall, Walther Pistols Models 1 to PPX
    Balcar & Clarin, P38 Spreewerk Production
    Vanderlinden, FN Browning Pistols
    Gun Digest, Book of Automatic Pistols (disassembly/assembly)
    Gun Digest, Book of Revolvers (disassembly/assembly)
    Bill York, VIS Radom
    Len Antaris, Astra Firearms (the little one)
    any of Bruce Canfield's books, and there's quite a few.

Pricey:
    Len Antaris, Star Firearms
    Len Antaris, Astra Firearms and Competitors (the big book)
    Scott Meadows, US Military Automatic Pistols 3-vol set
    Larry Ruth, War Baby 3-vol set
    Jan Still, Axis Pistols (commemorative edition)
    Clawson, any of the 1911 books (I don't have any, too much $$)
    Buxton, P38 3-volume set
    Hallock & de Kant The Mauser Parabellum 1930-1946 (I quadrupled my money when I sold it)
    Gortz & Sturgess, The Borchardt and Luger Automatic Pistols (3-vol set, also available as a PDF on DVD)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Standard Catalogue of Smith & Wesson by Roy Jenks.

Known to. S&W Collectors as SCSW .

Dave_E71

Nov 11, 2009
    I've been using "M1 GARAND PHOTO ESSAY" by Larry Babcock to identify the pile of early Garand parts I got recently. So far it seems to be pretty good. I picked up my copy from Mr Babcock at Chantilly (he has a table there)

For M1 carbines parts id, "Comprehensive Guide to the M1 Carbine" by Roger Larson has also come in very handy. https://www.amazon.com/Comprehensive-Guide-Carbine-Roger-Larson/dp/0615382622

I have no connection with either of the authors

Dave

Attachments

• 1507311789172-653800116.jpg
      1507311789172-653800116.jpg
      64.9 KB · Views: 319

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    [/B]
    Balcar & Clarin, P38 Spreewerk Production

Sorry to raise the dead thread but I am looking for this book. I even contacted Ron Clarin and it is out of print and he has none to sell. Cannot find it anywhere! Does anyone have and be willing to sell or loan out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 1, 2012
    Sorry to raise the dead thread but I am looking for this book. I even contacted Ron Clarin and it is out of print and he has none to sell. Cannot find it anywhere! Does anyone have and be willing to sell or loan out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a guy that has them, and as far as I know they are still in stock.
    I'll send you the link.

jmike3543

Sep 10, 2018
    Collecting the American Sniper Rifle 1945 to 2000 by Joe Poyer is an inexpensive, short, and incredibly useful field refernece guide to American sniper rifles.

Need to know if that M84 scope is real? Was that M1D mounting base original or a repro? This book has all the info you need to identify WW2 sniper rifles and on. Its available from Amazon now.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    No love for Argentine Mausers? Argentine Mauser Rifles 1871-1959 by Colin Webster. The only book of its kind on these weapons.

If you can find it and are willing to pay for it, Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles by Branko Bogdanovic.

FN Mauser Rifles by Anthony Vaderlinden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom