Some CNC enabled gunsmith projects I've done.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Thanks. As an industrial mechanic I get lots of machinist practice so my work is kind of semi professional with a huge helping of practical workmanship. I was blessed with a good mentor at work the past 13 years who's guided my efforts at breaking fewer tool ever since giving me to compliment that I think like a machinist. I have a '91 vintage Bridgeport 308 machining center in the garage that paid for itself the past eight years making dome lamp bezels for '65-72 Ford trucks. It's been a great learning opportunity.

So far the only thing that's been kicking my butt is turning some threaded studs for RDC, making an 11/16-8 LH Whitworth thread on a conventional lathe for an old English saddle project. Because the 8 tpi profile was so large for a form ground tool I ended up plotting the Whitworth profile in CAD with a .010" offset so I can use the .020" nose on a conventional threading tool and many passes to get the Whitworth thread profile cut using the compound set at 90` and the carriage to follow the profile. A test part on gummy hot roller turned out pretty well. It's actually fun thinking outside the box.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Finally got the girls together and warmed them with a couple mags of goodness. Both cycled with no drama. Even the sights were dead nuts on, just 2" low at 10 yards. My sons had a red dot that made it a little quicker to sight but I have astigmatism from Lasic so I stuck with the irons. Felt good to shoot them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom