• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    This holster came with the Hopkins & Allen. It's unlike any I've seen, and I suspect it's worth more than the pistol. Any info regarding its origin or value would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

20171010_125659_Burst01_resized.jpg

20171010_125735_HDR_resized.jpg

20171010_125812_Burst01_resized.jpg

20171010_125844_HDR_resized.jpg

20171010_125909(1)_Burst01_resized.jpg

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Thanks, Dan - can you refer me to a source of further info?

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks, Dan - can you refer me to a source of further info?

I forget which site I found most of my information on but I remember seeing a now expired gunbroker link where one sold for around $150 if I remember right.

Here’s a link on Gunboards with a similar looking holster. There’s some other pictures on Google too.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...923-Dated-with-matte-black-finish-and-Holster

Mine is slightly different. It doesn’t have the strap on it like yours does and mine is a dark brown colored leather.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Unless I'm missing somthing on my phone screen, I'm not seeing any markings . This general style of holster was common for 50 plus years .

If it were US , Brit, or Canadian issue , or common usage by US LE , someone here would have recognized it .

The use buckles for the belt attachments , is medimum reliable suggestion of being designed for millitary or paramillitary use .

Or 100yr ago , a US owner could have told his local saddle & harness shop to "make me one like this " .

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Agree with Milsurp Dan, that has the color and hallmarks of a WW2 era Italian holster. And def for a revolver, not an auto pistol.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Unless I'm missing somthing on my phone screen, I'm not seeing any markings . This general style of holster was common for 50 plus years .

If it were US , Brit, or Canadian issue , or common usage by US LE , someone here would have recognized it .

The use buckles for the belt attachments , is medimum reliable suggestion of being designed for millitary or paramillitary use .

Or 100yr ago , a US owner could have told his local saddle & harness shop to "make me one like this " .

You're right, no markings. The grey color is also not something I've seen. According to my informant, the gun was probably bought nearly a century ago. Probably the owner got a surplus holster from the usual sources. I doubt anyone has messed with either the gun or the holster since the WWII era.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Agree with Milsurp Dan, that has the color and hallmarks of a WW2 era Italian holster. And def for a revolver, not an auto pistol.

Right, def a revolver; thanks for confirmation of origin. Question: what sort of revolver might have been carried by Italian military?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

You still can. Bartville Harness Shop (Amish no Sunday Sales) makes similar leather holsters for fox hunters (on horseback).
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bartville-Harness-Shop/103873516369814

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    While the Beretta 1934/35 green holsters are common and pretty affordable this variation is one I haven't noticed before. Did a quick net search and had no problem finding some prices from previous sales. Figure value to be around $125-150. So you did great!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Found it! For some reason I can't link to the photo, but it's described as an Italian 1889 bodeo-revolver holster on google images.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You certainly can still have your local harness maker, make you a holster from scratch. Its just not a routine thing like it was pre WWI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom