Great American Outdoor Show never been is it worth the road trip?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    I've never been to the Great American Outdoor Show (formerly the Harrisburg, PA show).
    Looks like a really big show with all kinds of vendors showing there goods, but are there vendors there selling goods all so? It sounds like I'd have to get a motel room for the night and spend 2 days walking and asking questions just to see most of the show vendors.

Thanks

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    It's not "formerly the Harrisburg, PA show" as you put it. It's actually a completely different event. The Harrisburg gun show still exists. The next one is March 21-22, 2015.

Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere
    No. I think the former name was "Eastern Sports and Outdoors Show". I don't believe the OP was talking about the gun show.

It used to be the ES&OS but then they decided to not allow and banned weapons or parts yada yada and got lots of complaints from people. NRA then took it over and it is now called " The Great American Outdoor Show"

In the past it was a nice event to attend. Especially if you were looking to book a trip hunting somewhere. This year should be no less and probably a lot more. I believe it's worth attending. Go during the week. The weekends are crazy. Yes there will be venders selling goods. Latest and greatest.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My small form of protest against the PA AG ruling not allowing non resident UT or VA permits in PA is not to attend this year.

I know small potatoes and no one really cares but it's just my way of doing whatever I can to get these reciprocity agreements reinstated. No UT or VA NR carry, no money from me.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    There is a whole building of guides and outfitter. If you intention is to book a hunt, you could spend a day there. There is a whole room for archery and fishing and maybe camping. By room I'm talking the size of the Baltimore Arena.
    All the major manufactures are there so you put you hands on every 9mm currently make.
    There are also people selling stuff, from safes, mags. scopes, red dots to CCW briefcases. I don't recall anyone selling powder primers or ammo, but if I am wrong someone will let you know.

Traffic control getting there is HORRIBLE. On a weekday we were insight of the building for almost 90 minutes before getting into an ice covered parking lot. Next time I would park at places offering it on the right side of the street as you drive in.

You can buy tickets online.
    I am glad I went once. If I wanted to shop guides and outfitters I might go back.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    If you've never been, it's definitely worth it. You've never seen some mounts like what you'll see there. Even if you're not in the market for ANYTHING new, it's worth seeing.

v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    It's not "formerly the Harrisburg, PA show" as you put it. It's actually a completely different event. The Harrisburg gun show still exists. The next one is March 21-22, 2015.

I meant the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show I couldn't remember the name. I didn't know about the Harrisburg Gun show.

v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    If I go it's going to be on a week day and I'm off this year during some of the week days.
    It sounds like it's elbow to elbow on the weekends and traffic congestion.

I went to a Hunting and fishing show back in the 90's in Chantilly, VA and enjoyed it. I just don't hunt anymore just range time now days. I would love to go on a elk hunt or do some bird hunting out west.

Thanks for the tips and info guys.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    7th through the 15th. Yes, at the Farm Show Complex.

Oh, forgot to mention the hotties. Lee & Tiffany, Jim Shockey's daughter........ Uhhhhh.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    We are spending 2 days there and are staying at the Harrisburg Crowne Plaza. We're making it a mini-vacation with dinners and evening bar hangouts.

The outfitter that we chose for Africa in 2013 will be there and we want to see them and say hi. Plus we're looking for outfitters for our next Africa or USA (Wyoming?) trip.

We told our Africa Outfitter (Eitaalo) we would treat for dinner both days and the they were welcome at our home any time they were in USA.

Don't know how it will work out but that's the fun!!!

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    My small form of protest against the PA AG ruling not allowing non resident UT or VA permits in PA is not to attend this year.

I know small potatoes and no one really cares but it's just my way of doing whatever I can to get these reciprocity agreements reinstated. No UT or VA NR carry, no money from me.

While I appreciate you philosophy, how can your action possibly get known to the PA AG (it's was her unilateral decision) so that she would view it as a penalty toward PA and not yourself?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    she won't. As I said, it's my form of protest. I know she doesn't give a hoot about me. I'm just not going to spend my money there.

just my own form of protest to satisfy me.

Last edited:

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    No. Well, let me say that is not worth the trip if you think you're going to see a lot of guns or find ammo, powder, etc. Ruger, Beretta (and maybe Browning) and some other big names roll out their fancy new stuff but the ratio to gun displays versus displays of Alaskan fishing/hunting outfitters, junk sellers, apparel companies, and log cabin builders is about 1:2,896.

The bow hunting section seemed to have the best stuff (but I'm not a bow hunter).

Basically, it reminded me of the fair.

It is worth it, though, if your spouse is driving you crazy, you need a new duck call or you need a few bottles of Gunzilla.

v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    No. Well, let me say that is not worth the trip if you think you're going to see a lot of guns or find ammo, powder, etc. Ruger, Beretta (and maybe Browning) and some other big names roll out their fancy new stuff but the ratio to gun displays versus displays of Alaskan fishing/hunting outfitters, junk sellers, apparel companies, and log cabin builders is about 1:2,896.

The bow hunting section seemed to have the best stuff (but I'm not a bow hunter).

Basically, it reminded me of the fair.

It is worth it, though, if your spouse is driving you crazy, you need a new duck call or you need a few bottles of Gunzilla.

So it sounds like a outfitter, hunting, fishing and archery show mostly.
    If I go it's going to be the 11th and/or 12th baring there's on snow or ice on the roads. I work rotating shift work and it's my weekend. So hopefully it may not be to crowded.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011

Trucks, Boats, UTV, ATV, 3D Archery Competition, more duck/goose calls than anyone could imagine, falconry exhibition (at least, in years past) which is way cool.

Guns out the azz, ones you can touch and feel, deals on just about everything they don't want to pack back up and haul, etc. etc.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Guns out the azz, ones you can touch and feel, deals on just about everything they don't want to pack back up and haul, etc. etc.

I went last year, and I don't think I'd say that there are guns out the azz or that there were any deals to be had. There were probably 8 to 12 booths showcasing firearms - all of them new, modern rifles, handguns and shotguns. Ruger, Beretta, Remington, Browning, Glock (I think) and CZ (I think). They had displays where the guns were available to handle (locked down with cables), which was kind of neat. There were no deals to be had on any of that stuff - everything was new production/latest models, and they weren't being offered at any discounts. Maybe I expected too much - just to be clear, this is not a "gun show". It is more accurately described as an outdoors show. I saw one or two booths that were selling ridiculously overpriced pistol ammunition.

True about duck/goose calls. It seemed like everyone and their brother was selling them. I did get a very nice duck call that's my favorite, and one not so good goose call that's not my favorite. The best part of the show was that I discovered Gunzilla (an organic solvent/cleaner/lubricant), which is my favorite gun cleaner.

Huge portions of the show are dedicated to taxidermy, outfitters/safari companies, RVs and log cabins. Like I said above, the bow hunting section was pretty good/comprehensive.

I don't know - if you have nothing to do, it's probably worth the trip. It was interesting. It was crowded, though.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It used to be touted as the biggest east of the Mississippi. Probably still is. Parking can be a bear but plenty of satellite/bus you in parking. Lots of guides there too. Definitely worth a road trip.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    If I go it's going to be the 11th and/or 12th baring there's on snow or ice on the roads. I work rotating shift work and it's my weekend. So hopefully it may not be to crowded.

That's why it's called 'The Great American OUTDOOR Show. Why does everyone want to think of it as a gun show???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom