• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Just got 3/8" thick AR550, 16" diameter gong to shoot at my brother's range. The instructions from ShootSteel,com say not to fire at it at 100 yds. with ammo that exceeds a MV of over 2800 fps. So that pretty much eliminates factory 55gr NATO.

What loads do you use to shoot at steel through a 16" barrel AR in 223/5.56?

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Just got 3/8" thick AR550, 16" diameter gong to shoot at my brother's range. The instructions from ShootSteel,com say not to fire at it at 100 yds. with ammo that exceeds a MV of over 2800 fps. So that pretty much eliminates factory 55gr NATO.

What loads do you use to shoot at steel through a 16" barrel AR in 223/5.56?

You should be more than fine at 100 yards. Disclaimers are there to protect the manufacturer in the unlikely event that something odd or one off happens.

It is helpful if you have a angled mount which directs splash and spalling downwards. Even if you don't have an angled mount you should be safe at 100 yards; Just make sure you aren't blasting it with any steel core and your GTG.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    You can always load some frangible ammo and shoot it as close as you want. However, I've shot my shootsteel targets with 223 from 55 yards and it does beat them up a bit but nothing crazy from a 16 inch AR. They're consumables in the long run in my mind. Another option is build yourself a 10.5 inch pistol to shoot them with, keeps the muzzle velocity down.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I think its a liability thing too. We’ve shown no mercy on my Shoot Steel plate at ranges closer than 100 yards and it seems to be fine.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    You'll be fine at 100yds just don't use any bullets that attract a magnet. Is it mounted so It can swing with the impact? I've sent 208gr pills @3000fps into my plate at 100yds and all its ever done is mow the grass beneath and to the sides of the target.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    You should be more than fine at 100 yards. Disclaimers are there to protect the manufacturer in the unlikely event that something odd or one off happens.

It is helpful if you have a angled mount which directs splash and spalling downwards. Even if you don't have an angled mount you should be safe at 100 yards; Just make sure you aren't blasting it with any steel core and your GTG.

Spall comes off at a 360 for the most part. Coming back at you is more from soft steel, like RR tie plates.

OP, do what you want, chrono your loads, but dont blame the manufacturer if you exceed what they say and crack your steel or catch frags.

My 77 grain loads are 2800 fps in a new 20" barrel, so heavy factory matchkings might work for you.

May 13, 2005
    From personal experience, you'll get some slight dimpling/cratering over time. I've probably hit mine with 4-5K 5.56 @105 meters, in addition to many many other fast/high energy calibers and the face of the steel isn't perfect smooth anymore, however, there's nothing more than .1 mm deep. I also have my targets at apprx 10 degree (top forward) angle so things deflect down. Once it gets deeper, to the point you get some splash where you don't want, just turn the plate around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom