Camo is a waste of money (For whitetail at least imo)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Friend sent this one to me. A little old. Can't agree more. With these stupid setups made in China feeding Xi's army costing into the thousands now if you are into sitka I'm aiming for minimalism this season. Going out in shorts and a tshirt opening day. Last opening day I had a nice 8pt down 45 minutes in walking out around noon doing the same thing.

https://byland.co/blog/2017/12/11/3-reasons-you-should-consider-quitting-camouflage

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Deer walk right up to my front lawn while I'm standing on it

Often while I'm wearing shorts and a t shirt

I had to chase one off a back road I ride my bike on last week. It was just standing there blocking my path. It didn't seem to mind at all

Pretty sure they can see me and don't care

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I agree 100%. When I first started hunting 20 years ago I was using army surplus camo. A few years later I "upgraded" to some offical hunting camo clothes that were insulated and waterproof. That was about 15 years ago and I havent bought new camo since. I'm hunting in checkered wool shirts and solid color carhartt bibs now. The same stuff I use on any other cold day. Mean while I have people around me hunting in $300+ under armour jackets. To each, his own. Its just not for me anymore. The only time I break out the old camo is if its raining, but Ive been pretty lucky the last few years with not needing it.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    This is half the fun
    There’s something to be said about the instantaneous change in mindset that dawning a set of camouflage has on the psyche of a hunter.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    For me, the camo is also a scent issue. It gets washed separate, stored separate, and only worn hunting. Regular clothes don't have scent control.

Then again, I buy the Midway house brand stuff in February, when it goes on clearance.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    For me, the camo is also a scent issue. It gets washed separate, stored separate, and only worn hunting. Regular clothes don't have scent control.

Then again, I buy the Midway house brand stuff in February, when it goes on clearance.

Gotta love off season sales!

I know some folks who are strict on the scent thing too. In the same group we have people who cook food and use propane heaters in their blinds. Really cant tell a difference in their hunting success either. I am in the "eating in your blind" camp when it comes to scent control. lol

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I wear military BDU type camo, but I agree with you.

My reasons why
    1. The six pocket pants come in handy for neck gator, stocking hats and gloves
    2. The camo really hide the blood stains I seem to get on them. Been Beyatched at for blood all over my jeans by the wife for goose hunts in the past.
    3. I use my deer camo, only for deer hunting and have a closet with Ozone generator that really kills your scent if you use it the night before going out.

I used to use US mil BDU's but found way better deals on German Flecktarn. I just unstitch the german flag off the shirt shoulders.

I'd like to see you all try bow hunting with jeans on. I tried it when younger and found out deer can see blue as a color.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    Camo for me often time has been layers of off brand clothing for wind/temperature protection, then a cheap cover on top of that.

This year I am going to try the Eberhart Scent Lok method.
    This is the first time I’ve spent any decent amount of money on Camo.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    Gotta love off season sales!

I know some folks who are strict on the scent thing too. In the same group we have people who cook food and use propane heaters in their blinds. Really cant tell a difference in their hunting success either. I am in the "eating in your blind" camp when it comes to scent control. lol

I would say this is dependent on a few things. 1 wind direction, 2 how pressured the deer are and 3 how mature are the deer that are being shot.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I would say this is dependent on a few things. 1 wind direction, 2 how pressured the deer are and 3 how mature are the deer that are being shot.

For sure. Its very conditional. Another thing to consider is our location. Currently where we hunt, people are far more common for the deer to interact with. They are probably used to us so get spooked less easily. In our Garret County hunting days some of the stuff we do now wouldnt have gone over so well with the deer.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    My dad would go in the woods wearing his work pants and boots... his old 12 double over his shoulder... smoking his L&M cigarettes'... drinking a Pabst Blue Ribbon... 9 times out of 10 within 15 mins you'd hear "BAMM... BAMM" and he would have two on the ground. He was 10 times the hunter I am. I don't think he ever owned a piece of cammo, and sent control surely wasn't high on his list. Some folks got it... some don't.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I have Gucci camouflage and the technical fabrics make it worth it to me. I typically hike into public land and I want to be comfortable all day. The fact they are camouflage keeps me from wearing them out with casual use.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I wouldn’t put too much stock in that article. Considering how many grammatical errors he had, I don’t think he really knows much about camo. Nothing regarding the science of camo was mentioned. Yeah I agree there is a marketing ploy being used to get you into the latest and greatest stuff, but overall, camo does work. It does give you an advantage. Breaking up your silhouette helps you stay hidden from just about any animal. Of course sitting in a tree stand and practicing proper hunting techniques will get you a deer usually, the Camo gives you that extra edge

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I wouldn’t put too much stock in that article. Considering how many grammatical errors he had, I don’t think he really knows much about camo. Nothing regarding the science of camo was mentioned. Yeah I agree there is a marketing ploy being used to get you into the latest and greatest stuff, but overall, camo does work. It does give you an advantage. Breaking up your silhouette helps you stay hidden from just about any animal. Of course sitting in a tree stand and practicing proper hunting techniques will get you a deer usually, the Camo gives you that extra edge
    As far as I'm concerned, the only camo that breaks up the silhouette is some kind of leafy wear, otherwise, don't move when deer are looking. It won't matter what brand of camo you have on, they will pick you off. Learn to draw your bow, raise your gun, stand up, sit down, when the deer's head is behind a tree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom