Sourcing Small pistol and Rifle Primers ( on contract)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jun 28, 2014
    Baltimore Co.
    Patriots,

Looking to source primers for local and respected manufactures( small 1 man shops on up!). I am in the beginning stages in forming my own ammunition manufacturing business( commercial for Gov contract) and this is 1 of 2 loose ends I am trying to take care of ( also looking for bullet castors to source 115 gr 9mm and .223 and 5.56 from). Can anyone pt me in the direction of those that could produce these locally and with quality? This may turn into a re-occurring contract for a long-term business relationship

Thanks!

Jun 28, 2014
    Baltimore Co.
    SEVERAL(20+ pages) full of contracts for mostly Law enforcement arms of agencies. I had two friends get awarded contracts across the IT spectrum and security vendors. Im talking 1 or 2 man companies, totaling almost 200-300k for short term work. I have been learning the contract ( COR) workflow as to awards, winning them, preping RFQs and SOWs. Until then the idea was to sell on the open market...clearly the primer issue is going to slow this down..

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Do you have an FFL for manufacturing ammunition?

You need an 06 FFL to do so.

And you will need a location that is zoned for business use. And a fire marshal permit for the powder storage.

And most GOV contracts for ammunition are either FMJ of JHP, NOT cast bullets.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Everything people are telling you here is absolutely true.

Startup costs are also massive. Camdex loaders are NOT cheap, and they are not trivial to maintain. Even if you go the semi-pro route and use (R)Evo Mk7s with autodrives, you're still probably talking a good $7500 per press. I don't even know what the zoning situation for bulk ammo manufacture must be, but I doubt it's going to happen in a residential area.

Sourcing new brass in the amounts you'll need is also going to be challenging. So will quality control, which will probably have to happen at the batch level, and have some fairly exacting requirements. Using rando range pickups is asking for a disaster (if the contract even allows it), and if your ammo fails in an OIS, you are going to be personally and professionally dragged through the mud. Speaking of which... insurance!

Speaking as a guy with probably a dozen years of working the small business federal contracting thing, there is no way on earth I'd touch this market. Commercial market is at least much more straightforward.

Jun 28, 2014
    Baltimore Co.
    Thank you for this. I had a friend of mine send me PAGES of regs and requirements for Govt contracts regarding ammunition, and since he works on contracts himself, he made the same suggestion until i was a large as the BIG Boys( Remington, PMC, etc)...so your right there. So, for now. I will stick with the commercial market.

Jun 28, 2014
    Baltimore Co.
    PINECONE YES, researching business locations now that is zone approriate, and yes, FMJ, thank you for the correction. I have changed the approach and decided to stick to commercial sales.. But still moving fwd on your other questions. Thank You brother

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back in the days of carburetors it used to be an occasional thing for small PDs to have their own Star presses , or have a handshake deal with a local reloader personally known by rangemaster or Chief , to load up .38 wadcutters for the range .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And if you have never started a business, my basic advice is:

1) It will take you twice as much start up money as you think you will need. Maybe even more.

2) Don't expect to make 1 cent for the first year.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Look, step 1 is to get an FFL06. That alone should prove an interesting challenge.

Also, remember that commercial-grade autodrive presses are ~$12k each (minimum), and that you will need to purchase components in real bulk to make your ammo price competitive. I would not walk into this with less than $100k of funding, minimum, and I suspect $200k would be much more sensible. Undercapitalizing is how business fail to launch.

Jun 28, 2014
    Baltimore Co.
    Erwo. Yes. I understand Step one.. and of course this will be under a business name that's been formed in MD. I hear you on the start up case, and the press. I have been piecing together material sources direct from manufacturers. I appreciate the input.. keep it coming boss

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom