• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dr0be

May 7, 2017
    Hi all,

I lurk here occasionally, but actually have some questions now that I can't find solid answers to. I have some squirrels harassing my bird feeders and it's getting annoying. I was considering buying a air rifle that would be quiet enough to use in my area since I live in a court.

1) Are there any laws against using air rifle on your property in AA County? I read Montgomery has strict laws against it, but couldn't find details on AA.

2) Would I still need a hunting license to shoot squirrels in my yard?

3)Would I have to wait until squirrel season starts again in September or does season not apply?

Thanks.

Mix in some Habanero peppers to the bird seed. Oleoresin Capsicum (the "hot" in hot peppers) only affects mammals. The birds will not be phased by it.

To directly answer your question- No, you cannot shoot game animals: out of season, without a license or within a neighborhood. Squirrels raiding a bird feeder don't qualify as nuisance animals.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Or, you could just wait for karma to assist.

Attachments

• OUCH!.jpg
      OUCH!.jpg
      106.6 KB · Views: 623

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I feed and train my squirrels. They are way more fun than birds and they don't shit on your car.

EDIT: Any of my squirrels gets stupid and starts doing damage to my stuff, I kill it with my bow.

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    Yes, you can use an air gun to shoot squirrels but only during regular season for them. A license is not required to hunt on your own property but you must comply with the hunter education and safety requirement. To hunt or shoot at wildlife, you must be at least 150 yards from an occupied building or camp unless you have permission from the owner or occupant.

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie

I don't have a pic of them, but I get plastic chargers (large plate) that is the slightly flexible kind. Can't be the brittle plastic or it will shatter as it gets blown around by the wind.

I drill a small hole in the center, then epoxy the chain in the hole and then hang the bird feeder below it.
    The birds can get to it but the squirrels can't!

This is similar to what I do:
    https://www.amazon.com/AUDUBON-NACL...rd_wg=Wfspa&psc=1&refRID=2X4JP8NJ69CP8S1AA0JS

The key is keeping the top of the feeder pretty close to the underneath of the plate. I'll try and take a pic later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom