• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    At Hap Baker, can you wear ear plugs, or do you have to go with the over the ear protection? I did a search and didn't see this come up and i checked online and it just says hearing protection.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Ear plugs are fine... I only use a headset for the big boomers...

...and I type slow...:o

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    thats great. Thanks. Over the ear seems way too cumbersome and uncomfortable.

May I suggest that you need a supply of ear muffs and plugs for any such range firing line occupation. Just to be sure...that you have enough ear protection to handle any muzzle blast --- You might need one or both for any range application up to 20mm --- Maybe not at Hap Baker, but elsewhere.

Even if you wear earplugs...there is cartilage on the ear flap that connects directly to the ear drum --- The cartilage transmits damaging sound waves to the eardrum to a person that's not wearing ear muffs, during high decibel environments.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    May I suggest that you need a supply of ear muffs and plugs for any such range firing line occupation. Just to be sure...that you have enough ear protection to handle any muzzle blast --- You might need one or both for any range application up to 20mm --- Maybe not at Hap Baker, but elsewhere.

Even if you wear earplugs...there is cartilage on the ear flap that connects directly to the ear drum --- The cartilage transmits damaging sound waves to the eardrum to a person that's not wearing ear muffs, during high decibel environments.

Why I always double up on the range. Always someone shooting a heavily braked rifle near me. If I am busting clays I usually just wear either over ears or in ears and not both. Further from other shooters and usually not guys with ported shotguns.

If I had a range to myself I'd just do one or the other as well.

Benjamin

May 30, 2017
    Westminster
    You can always invest in a nice pair of electronic muffs, good ones can be had for $50 or so. When I shoot at Hap Baker I sometimes start with just plugs and will usually end up adding the muffs as well. I've noticed even if it isn't overly busy, having more sound reduction eliminates any potential flinching from the noise level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom