• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I'm looking for a landscaper and an insulator.

Short story: called 2 landscape companies from Craigslist. They came over walked my yard with me and promosed a quote. Never to be heard from again.

Called Cary Insulation. The woman said a sales rep would get right back to me. A week goes by, nothing. Call again. Same woman remembers me and apologizes. She says someone willcontact me asap. The next day, I get a call and the salesman along withI assume his buddy come over. The next day, I do receive a quote. I tell him I'm good, give me a date. Never to be heard from again.

This is the epitome of Obama's America.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    Unfortunately Obama cannot get the blame for this type service. I had the same issue looking for a roofer 20 years ago. Call 6 roofers, 3 show up, 2 actually send estimates.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Try American Roots Inc for landscaping, the owners name is Sean and he is a really good guy and does great work. They are based in New Market, not too far from you.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I looked into the situation for insulating when I got my first house ~3 years ago. My attic is 50' x 30' and had spots completely bare of insulation (the prior owner must have been running up a fortune in heating bills). The price quotes from companies that do a lot of marketing or subcontractors through Home Depot/Lowes were the highest at $3.5k to $4.5k. With Home Depot/Lowes there would also be the uncertainty of which subcontractor actually would do the work, etc.. The best commercial insulator on my survey list was DeVere Insulation at ~$2k quoted, with whom I would be contracting directly.

In the end I did the attic insulation myself. I rented a blower from Home Depot, bought bales of fiberglass insulation to feed into the blower, and rented a Home Depot van to transport things from the store to my house (and return the blower afterwards) at a total cost of around $750-$800. Manpower was just me in the attic sweeping the blower's hose back and forth to spray the insulation, and my father downstairs with the blower occasionally feeding it another bale of fiberglass. As with most projects, most of the time was in the set-up rather than the performance, but even then everything was done in a day. If you want to talk about this further, send me a PM with your phone # and I would be happy to share what details I can on this.

EDIT: Keep your receipts for this, as you can claim a discount in next year's tax cycle through form 5695 "Residential Energy Credits".

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    FYI,
    I recently needed a bunch of quotes done. I tried homeadvisor.com. Roofing? I received back 6+ calls to set up appointments. I ended up setting up appointments for the first 3 companies. I also had some wood repair quoted by the same guys but it seemed like they mostly wanted to quote the $5K + jobs which roofing is right up the alley for that. I ended up going with a guy that was doing work down the street after getting #off his truck.

I had them quote a roof on my colonial that is 40' x 30'. Prices were from $6500-$8500 for 25 year shingles and about $60 per 4x8 plywood if any needed replacing.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Still no takers on the landscaping. No quotes or returned calls. Insulation is finished. Looking for recommendations.

I feel your pain! I'm past asking for quotes, I just say come do the work and can't get anyone to show up. Same with tree guys too.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I thought I'd update for anyone who does a search. As posted, we had insulation added to our attic. I have to say it made a huge difference, especially with this cold weather. With our thermostat on the main level, our upstairs bedroom was getting too hot. This is a first. I just thought I'd share.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'm looking for a landscaper and an insulator.

Short story: called 2 landscape companies from Craigslist. They came over walked my yard with me and promosed a quote. Never to be heard from again.

Called Cary Insulation. The woman said a sales rep would get right back to me. A week goes by, nothing. Call again. Same woman remembers me and apologizes. She says someone willcontact me asap. The next day, I get a call and the salesman along withI assume his buddy come over. The next day, I do receive a quote. I tell him I'm good, give me a date. Never to be heard from again.

This is the epitome of Obama's America.

I looked on Angie's List this past spring for a handyman in my area and they recommended one in town. Called, he showed up and I went over what I would like done now along with what I'd like in the future depending on the outcome. Pressure wash deck, replace frenchdoor to patio with Anderson slider, replace front and side stormdoors with Anderson storm doors. He said ok and he'd get back with an estimate. 2 weeks pass and no estimate. I call him and he says "can't get to you right now but I'll get back to you". Told him I never got an estimate......never heard from again. Sent an email to Angie's list commenting on the "service". No reply. So maybe not Obama's America just lazy America!

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    How did you know the attic needed more insulation? Did they remove old insulation?

My house was over 20 years old and I figured I was due. They didn't remove anything. They just fished the big hose through my house to the attic access. I haven't been up there since but the end result was fantastic. I think it was only like $400 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom