• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIK

Jul 31, 2012
    MD
    I posted a response about Fred's range when I remembered an encounter I had at Dick's a few months back... Wondering if you all had anything similar.

I went up there to pick up some archery stuff and stood around a bit to check out the long guns. There was this guy, about mid-50's or so asking lots of questions about shotguns, asking about how tough they are, how many rounds they hold, pistol grip, the works. Guy was all over the place, even asking about the rifles. I asked him what he wanted a gun for, and his response was that he wanted to shoot a groundhog at the end of his driveway. He didn't want to use a trap, because "groundhogs keep moving in where they shouldn't be! I didn't move out here to deal with stupid animals! This land is for PEOPLE!"

Huh?

Turns out this guy lives in a new townhouse development and actually thought it would be ok to shoot a shotgun in the middle of it. After his "groundhogs taking over our neighborhoods!" comment, I suggested he move back to DC. Conversation got a little sour after that, but I think we may have saved his neighbors the trouble of a 911 call. :sad20:

Anyone overhear anything similar?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Yep. Bass Pro, blond girl looking at handguns with her boyfriend. Guy behind counter asked her what kind of gun she was interested in. Her reply: "I like the shiny ones". :banghead:

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Sadly, some of the dumbest things I've heard are said by some of the employees working in the chain stores. (I have encountered some who did know their stuff but it doesn't seem to be the norm.)

Probably the worst example was an employee at the Cabelas in Scarbourough, Maine. I swear that guy must have been hired to sell nuts and coffee in the cafe and was asked to man the gun counter in an emergency just 5 minutes before we arrived.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Lets see

One time in Bass Pro I was looking at shotguns when these two brothas from the hood came up next to me and asked to see one of those polished nickel Taurus 92s. The guy at counter obliged and after asking a couple basic questions about how it works and what caliber it was, one of them asked the guy if they bought it, was there anywhere they could go shoot it nearby that night. The guy chuckled and said no. They then asked what about tomorrow. He chuckled again and explained they'd have to wait at least seven days. The two then promptly drop the piece on the counter, exclaim how wack that is, and then disappear.

On another occasion I was at Gun Connection, I think I was doing the papers on my Spikes lower. There's these two young guys, about my age, early 20s, but kinda redneck-ish. They're looking a Bushmaster HBAR because its C&C. The one decides to buy it and asks if they have ammo so they can go shoot that afternoon. The guy who was helping them(I can't remember who it was) asked where they where going to shoot it. They replied that they had a bunch of woods behind one of their houses and they'd use a tree. When it was explained to them that they couldn't do that because it was unsafe, they were dumbfounded. Didn't occur to them that a .223 can go a good 2 miles.

Last one that comes to mind, another Bass Pro gem, was overhearing another customer exclaim "whatchu mean I can't have a felony and get a gun?"

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Lets see

One time in Bass Pro I was looking at shotguns when these two brothas from the hood came up next to me and asked to see one of those polished nickel Taurus 92s. The guy at counter obliged and after asking a couple basic questions about how it works and what caliber it was, one of them asked the guy if they bought it, was there anywhere they could go shoot it nearby that night. The guy chuckled and said no. They then asked what about tomorrow. He chuckled again and explained they'd have to wait at least seven days. The two then promptly drop the piece on the counter, exclaim how wack that is, and then disappear.

On another occasion I was at Gun Connection, I think I was doing the papers on my Spikes lower. There's these two young guys, about my age, early 20s, but kinda redneck-ish. They're looking a Bushmaster HBAR because its C&C. The one decides to buy it and asks if they have ammo so they can go shoot that afternoon. The guy who was helping them(I can't remember who it was) asked where they where going to shoot it. They replied that they had a bunch of woods behind one of their houses and they'd use a tree. When it was explained to them that they couldn't do that because it was unsafe, they were dumbfounded. Didn't occur to them that a .223 can go a good 2 miles.

Last one that comes to mind, another Bass Pro gem, was overhearing another customer exclaim "whatchu mean I can't have a felony and get a gun?"

That right there is an instant classic!

One that comes to mind is one of those "Oh god, they vote and they breed." incidents.

I was at a gun store (not to be named) filling out the paperwork on my RRA. A guy and gal come in and want to buy a revolver in .44 Mag. The guy behind the counter shows them all the offerings in .44Mag they could ever want, and the guy and gal are looking them over. They pair then look at the employee and say, I kid you not, "We want to buy one of those 20 shot .44 Mag revolvers that were shown on the website for the safety course!". :sad20: :banghead:

I was in a chain store and checking out the selection of goodies, when I overheard the clerk tell the customer that a .22LR rifle was suitable for waterfowl hunting, also that if he wanted to get rid of the airplanes that were flying over his house he could shoot at them if he wanted to. :crazy:

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Also funny how some of these idiots trying to buy have amnesia about that felony conviction they had in the past.

Yme

Platinum Member
    Nov 3, 2012
    Yep. Bass Pro, blond girl looking at handguns with her boyfriend. Guy behind counter asked her what kind of gun she was interested in. Her reply: "I like the shiny ones". :banghead:

I heard the shiny ones can help to terminate werewolves?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The OP's story reminds me of back when we lived in a town house. We were awakened one night by fire equipment in our parking lot at o-dark-thirty. Our new until-recently-urbanite neighbors had called the fire department due to a strong smell in their house. It turned out a skunk had taken up residence underneath their porch and was spooked.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    When I was in elementary school (we're talking late 1970's), the live-in boyfriend of one of my best friends actually touched-off a shotgun IN THEIR APARTMENT to kill a mouse that had scared mom.

This was in an apartment complex with five other units in the building.

ThisGuy918

Nov 11, 2011
    About a year ago I was in the TackleBox picking up a box of ammo for a pistol I was trying out. While in there a guy walked up to the counter and asked what it would take to buy a pistol. The guy behind the counter brought out the forms and started explain how it worked and what kind of things disqualified you. Not even halfway through the explanation the man proclaimed "This is BS, gotta be a track star to get a gun" then stomped back over to the bait counter. Me and the guy behind the counter had a good chuckle.

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    I think I made Harry at GC do a double take when I bought my AR from him a few months ago. With it being my first gun purchase since moving back to MD from VA, at the conclusion of paperwork and payment I went to grab my rifle and head out the door before he put his hand on the case with a "Hold up, buddy, gotta wait 7 days!"

Me: "Oh yeah, forgot I moved back to Russia. See you in a week!" /sadface

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    BassPro Shop - Hanover, MD.

My youngest son and I were standing near the handgun showcase, and some guy behind the counter (kinda tall - dark hair) was talking to a young couple, looking to buy a handgun.

I clearly heard the BassPro guy claim to the lady, "The reason the bottom of this pistol (a 1911) is steel, is so that if you're walking in the woods and a bear comes up to you, you can turn the butt up like this, and whack him in the head, instead of shooting it."

I casually walked up to the counter, and said, "Excuse me, folks. Seems like this guy needs to go to the bathroom. He's full of crap."
    My son and I then walked away.

Here, pal. Here's your sign.

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    I was in Gander Mountain in Fredricksburg and a customer asked if the 7.62x39 would work in his .308, he was looking for 7.62x51. After they call 3 diffrent folks the employee says sure it will work it's just not as powerful. I just stood behind the employee and shaking my head no. the guy quickly understood, thanked me and walked out of the store.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    A long time ago, I was in a gunshop near Temple Hills, MD when a couple of gangbanger types walked in and asked if they can purchase ammo for a beretta 92. They apparently bought a brand new gun.. no papers required . hmmmmm?

The clerk sold them a couple of boxes of 9mm ammo.( remember the old " black talons) An hour later, they were back.
    Complaining to the clerk that the ammo does not fit. We asked.. are you sure its a 92 and not a 96?.. Yo man..Its a 92 aight...

So the now the shop owner gets involved and asked the two if they can bring the gun in so that he can check it out.

The two walked in with the two boxes of ammo.. the gun.....within 15 seconds..problem solved. The gun was indeed a beretta 92.. but it was the 8mm blank firing replica version.

They paid $650 for it... No paperwork... And there is a no return policy on ammo. The jackals got jacked. Nice!!!!

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    A buddy of mine who claims to be a firearms expert went to Walmart the other night and bought a rifle. He brought it over to the house to show it to me.

It's a Marlin lever action rifle.

"What's that? A Marlin 336?"

"No, it's a 30-30."

It was, indeed a Marlin Model 336. If you are buying a rifle, know what flippin' model it is.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    So a guy walk in to the store, he is pretty average looking 20 somthing looking no big deal. He seems ok he asks to see a Ar-15. no big deal . I make it safe hand it over .
    this dude starts to tell me how when he was in the jungle he killed lot's of people with one of these, but his was " full spray " he could kill a "mofo" at a 1000 yards on "full spray" now it's me this wack job and two of our colorful locals in the store so this guy is kinda just talking to everyone and no one.

Ok I am use to assholes, I will play. So buddy I guess you were in the army huh?
    No man I was a mercury! Yes he said that.
    I say So you worked for an ftd florest?
    no man I was a mercury I was a paid killer!!! ( in his best yo g thug voice)
    I guess you mean mercenary there young fella??
    No man I was a killa a mercury
    Ok junior play time is over give me the rifle back!

he hands me the rifle back and give me a little attitude. I ask if there is any thing else I can help him with.

"yea, man I need a 100 caliber sniper rifle"
    we don't sell those.
    " oh what you don't want me to get some serious fire power"
    at this point the other two guys in the store are all but rolling on the floor and snorting like pigs.

The young soldier for hire, now is getting a little frisky and say's what you don't think I can have a gun I am off probation I can buy what ever I want.
    ( yes he said that)

How much weed were you carring when they locked you up Scarface?
    ( yes I said that)

No man I had 4 pounds of coke and a rocket launcher.

I think you might want to check with the state police before you try and buy a gun.

No man I can get what ever I want, hel lif you had a mac 50 I would buy that right now and leave with it.

Ok boss, well you just told me you were locked up for some pretty serious stuff. I think you should leave the store.

"you throwing me out "

no I am asking you to leave so you don't get yourself in trouble

F U man I could buy this right now and shoot you with it!!!

after a short chuckle...

Junior, my gun is loaded and so is the two cops sitting next to you.
    mike put his badge on the counter.

I waved as junior left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom