• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hansum

Feb 14, 2019
    I'm looking for a durable bucket with lid or something similar to store a couple weeks worth of emergency food packages. I was thinking a 5 gallon bucket from lowes but I had one shatter. Any recommendations?

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    If and when things settle down...bakeries in grocery stores and WalMRt and the like have a shitload of used ones. Just cozy up to the large older ladies that run the bakery... May or may not require you to frost a donut occasionally... ;-)

They’re all available on line at a little steeper price point.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So, not sure if those buckets are BPA free.
    5 gallon frosting buckets from a bakery are.

When it comes to food storage, buckets are to protect from having little critters getting to the food.
    Any long term storage for bulk foods (rice, beans, etc...) Should be in mylar bags with an oxygen absorber packet.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Most all delis and such have food grade buckets. Pickles especially coming 5 gallon buckets and eggs in 4 gallon square ones. Get some mylar bags off amazon and some o2 absorbers. Save rice, beans and other things you can add to meals. Sugar, salt, spices. Flour doesn't save well long term once the germ is ground. You can store wheat seed from the feed mill and have a grinder for it.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    If you are putting together buckets that you will be getting in and out of frequently, gamma seal lids work great. I bit pricey but worth it.

For getting brittle, i have a dozen buckets purchased at Lowes and such that are over 10 years old and stored full in the basement. They all look brand new, and are not brittle.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    For the economy-minded, I see food grade 35 and 55 gallon drums on FB Marketplace regularly.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    If he is putting food packages into a container, does it still need to be food-grade? I would think something like cans of tuna fish would be fine if stored in a Home Depot bucket. Even if it is Mylar sealed bags it should be fine without being a food-grade bucket, right?

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I've used the Lowe's white plastic food grade 5 gallon buckets (I also use a mylar bag in them) and never had an issue with them getting brittle. Buckets left in the sun any length of time do get brittle.

Those 58 gallon drums look awesome, but heavy and hard to move. If I have a place I could put them and leave them, I'd be all over that.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    If he is putting food packages into a container, does it still need to be food-grade? I would think something like cans of tuna fish would be fine if stored in a Home Depot bucket. Even if it is Mylar sealed bags it should be fine without being a food-grade bucket, right?

"Food-Grade" basically means the plastic is approved to be in direct contact with the food contents and should not leech anything bad into the stored food.

If you mylar bag a staple food and put into any bucket it should be fine, as only the bag is contacting the food.

Putting canned food into a bucket is really unnecessary.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I have a plastic barrel place a couple miles down the road. Eight to 48 gallon plastic drums with watertight lids. Most of my guys come from drug companies (the legal ones). The drugs/pharma were in double bags inside the barrels. I think I pay $15@ for the big ones and $8@ for the smaller ones. It’s a toss up what he has in stock but he always has stock. He cleans/power washes every one before he sells them.

Lots of guys like this. All over. (Little far to drive to my barrel guy in Candler NC.)

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    The Pepsi bottling plant in Hyattsville sold the 55 gallon food grade barrels for $8. Not sure if they are currently selling. You will have to rinse it out or it will smell like syrup, but the price is right.

2611 Pepsi Place, Hyattsville, MD 20781
    Phone (301) 322-7000

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom