• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    D'Atri's in Lavale are the best. I know it is not near Westminster, but my friend comes up here all the time from Westminster for them.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Wait, Mopar, didn't you have a thread a while ago about getting in shape and joining the Marines? Have a grilled chicken sandwich with lettuce and tomato. You don't need all that grease. Working on cars all day, wouldn't you be sick of grease?

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I haven't found any. Lots of them are *edible* (hell, even Boli's cheesesteak falls into that category) but they're not amazing.

Provolone is the only cheese worth gracing my steak, even if it is the secondary choice in cheeses. I care not for cheese whiz.

American? That's... that's not right. It's not even wrong. :sad20:

And now I'm hungry for Cheesesteak. Thanks mopar.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I haven't found any. Lots of them are *edible* (hell, even Boli's cheesesteak falls into that category) but they're not amazing.

Provolone is the only cheese worth gracing my steak, even if it is the secondary choice in cheeses. I care not for cheese whiz.

American? That's... that's not right. It's not even wrong. :sad20:

And now I'm hungry for Cheesesteak. Thanks mopar.

Had me on the hunt last night. Settled for a Reuben :(. Darn you Mopar!

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Born & raised in Philly. Late to the game, sorry, but my choices for cheesesteaks in Westminster are:
    1. Roberto's Pizza (Crossroads Square, down from PetSmart). Unique, they make their own bread from their pizza dough...outstanding.
    2. Classico Pizza (College Square, down from Safeway)
    3. My house. Unfortunately, my source for Philly steak meat seems to no longer be in business, so I'm hosed.

Not coincidentally, they both have the #1 and #2 pizzas in town.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Born & raised in Philly. Late to the game, sorry, but my choices for cheesesteaks in Westminster are:
    1. Roberto's Pizza (Crossroads Square, down from PetSmart). Unique, they make their own bread from their pizza dough...outstanding.
    2. Classico Pizza (College Square, down from Safeway)
    3. My house. Unfortunately, my source for Philly steak meat seems to no longer be in business, so I'm hosed.

Not coincidentally, they both have the #1 and #2 pizzas in town.

I'll have to give those a shot; I haven't tried any of those.

As for #3, you might have some luck at the farmer's markets and a really sharp knife. :)

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    Big Belly Deli

I love cheesesteaks almost as much as guns. Almost. Big Belly Deli in Syksville has a pretty good one. Sandosky Rd. & Rt 32.

Firehouse Subs near Rt. 140 & Rt.97 has some good subs. The place is clean.

In Catonsville you have Dussenbergs, 10 Mellor Ave. just off Frederick Rd. I get double meat. Good roll.

Scittino's at Dutton Ave and Edmonson Ave Is my favorite. They have two. A regular, and a Delmonico cut. The Delmonico is flame broiled.

I sure got some ideas from this thread. Thanks all.:)

marylandondeck

Oct 26, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Moapr, nothing compares to the real deal. And South Philly cheesesteaks are different from those in the Philly suburbs. A decent one near Westminster can be found at Twin Kiss in Finksburg. It's amazing how expensive they are now in South Philly, $9.50. I can recall them being $2.20. But they need to have Cheese Whiz and hot sauce to be authentic, and those ingredients are hard to find here in WM unless you make your own.

That sounds outstandingly bad for you....... Think I'll try to create one at home. :party29:

bmonast

Feb 1, 2011
    Gamber, MD
    That sounds outstandingly bad for you....... Think I'll try to create one at home. :party29:

Yeah but it keeps you regular. What I can't find outside of S. Philly is that hot sauce they use. It's very thin, i guess that squirt bottle with the rooster on it would do in a pinch. Honestly, I switch between cheese whiz and provolone but never American or mozzarella. BJ's used to carry the chip steak and you could make some pretty good ones at home. Growing up, mom made them every Sunday evening for dinner. Yum...

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    I have been questing for one to rival a REAL Philly Cheesesteak for years to no avail. The closest I've found are the ones at King's NY, but that's all the way in Hagerstown=>http://www.kingsnewyorkpizza.com/menus/hagerstown

The previously-mentioned Jersey Mike's are indeed quite good(also one in Hagtown) but where all pretenders to the crown seem to fall short is not with the meat or cheese(and sometimes not even the proportional generosity) but with the bread. There is just nothing like the fresh-n-flaky hoagie rolls of the REAL and w/o it, but a distant 3rd place or worse.

Yup, 100% agree. The right bread makes all the difference. I've been spoiled growing up in Jersey... Nothing beats the real deal ie. Tony Luke's, Pat's, Geno's, Jim's... etc. Slather them with some wiz and add a few peppers on the side and its greasy, gooey, heavenly meal. What's up with the places down here asking if you want lettuce, tomato and onion???

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    As someone said earlier, it is the roll that makes the sandwich. No Amoroso bakeries here in MD. A lot of people say they are so good due to something in the water, sorta like bagels in NYC. The closest thing to a decent cheesesteak (or should I say, steak and cheese) was at Capriotti's on Kent Island. My wife took me to Jeno's in Severna Park and it was pretty sad. She said it was the best place in Anne Arundel and at that point I knew I was going to miss PA even more :(
    On a side note, putting Whiz on a cheesesteak breaks my heart. I know thats the way tourist traps like Pat's and Geno's do it, but its not nearly as good as some American or Provolone.

Uhhh... You do know that those two places fight for the top spot along with a few others every year in Philly? American and whiz are probably the two most popular cheeses for locals and "tourist" alike. And whiz is probably the more popular choice from what I've seen growing up.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Come on Capt Harvey's use to be the spot but the last time I was there, Danville square, it was terrible and skimpy.

Last edited:

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Uhhh... You do know that those two places fight for the top spot along with a few others every year in Philly? American and whiz are probably the two most popular cheeses for locals and "tourist" alike. And whiz is probably the more popular choice from what I've seen growing up.

Because they are the most popular doesn't make them the best. Go there any night and its loaded with drunk college kids and tourists who don't know any better. If you want a good steak check out Chink's, Delasandro's, John's Roast Pork, or even Campo's. Any one of them blows Pat's or Geno's overpriced mess out of the water.

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    Which Campo's? If I remember right there are several throughout Philly. Yes, Yes, John's is great, so is Chubby's and any of the others I mentioned earlier. The point is, there are a number of places in Philly where you can get a great authentic Philly cheesesteak but unfortunately, here in MD, that is not the case... At least, i personally have not found a place that beckoned me to go for seconds or were even memorable for that matter. Plus, as a supposed local, how does one dismiss history? Little Italy may not have the same appeal as it once did now that most of the shops have converted to Latino stores, but Pat's IS an important part of that history since it is part of where it all started. It attracts attention for good reason I'd say and their steaks are still one of the best in Philly. It's funny how folks get all up tight over their favorite little joints, and while each may have some minor differences, they all still follow the same basic simple local recipe; starting with a good roll. And I personally don't mind a greasy mess, as you might call it. Especially after visiting some of the remaining Italian shops for meats, cheeses or other necessities. As for the college students, just go during the day when the vampires are sleeping. Any of them are less packed around midday.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Big fan of Jim's & D'Alesandro's.

I tend to stay away from Pat's & Geno's although there are plenty of folks who swear by their sandwiches.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Big fan of Jim's & D'Alesandro's.

I tend to stay away from Pat's & Geno's although there are plenty of folks who swear by their sandwiches.

^^^ This! And you gotta love the pepper choices at D'Alaesandro's. Whenever I'm heading up to the gun show at the Oaks, I either grab breakfast at Crossroads Café, or hit D'Alaesandro's after...or both! It's not always easy getting to and from Roxborough in the afternoon due to traffic, but I sure try...or hit Jim's at Roosevelt Mall.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    ^^^ This! And you gotta love the pepper choices at D'Alaesandro's. Whenever I'm heading up to the gun show at the Oaks, I either grab breakfast at Crossroads Café, or hit D'Alaesandro's after...or both! It's not always easy getting to and from Roxborough in the afternoon due to traffic, but I sure try...or hit Jim's at Roosevelt Mall.

That's why I always take a cooler with me anytime I visit family in Philly. Must make the necessary stop for hoagies & cheese-steaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom