• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    I'm building a new reloading bench. Anyone know where to find some 1" or 1-1/4" MDF boards in MD? I know Homie Depot sells 1/2" and 3/4" and I could laminate 2 pieces together, but I was hoping for one solid piece.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    ^^^^ Why MDF???

MDF really doesn't have the strength (from my experience with it) for a loading bench/workbench top.

I suggest two thicknesses of 3/4" plywood glued/screwed together (from the underside). Bottom piece can be AC or CDX, and use some oak veneer (or other nice outer veneer) for the top layer and then band it with some oak or maple (and a nice 'quarter-round' edge with a router).

A couple of coats of satin polyurethane will finish it off, nicely.

Just a thought.......

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Double up or, preferably, what byf43 said. With enough weight, there won't really be a difference between 1.5" and two pieces of .75" glued together. But seriously, I like what byf43 suggests. Being able to replace the top sheet easily is a big bonus.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Don't use MDF.

Use plywood. I double up 3/4" high quality plywood using glue and screws.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Some have suggested a top layer of hard board or laminate which can be easily replaced. Cheaper too than a plywood

---
    Shamr0ck

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I used to work with 1 1/8" thick x 4'x 8' sheets of MDF and you don't want any part of that. Trust me. The big advantage MDF has is that it stays very flat (compared to plywood). However it's just a reloading bench so plywood is fine. I would do as others have suggested and laminate two pieces together. It will be stronger and still relatively light.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have done benches with 2x layers of 3/4" play. Then a screw down a piece of hardboard that is epoxy coated. That layer can be replaced.

For benches for reloading, or other activities that don't typically damage the bench top, I just epoxy paint the top plywood or do a laminate.

Matt white works GREAT on reloading benches

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If you disregard the suggestions and go ahead with your thick MDF, that stuff is friggin' heavy. I hope you have some big friends.

Exactly. Thick MDF is really heavy. 0.75" is bad enough. Don't expect to lug around 4'x8' sheets of it by yourself. Ain't gonna happen without risk of serious injury.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And it is not as stable as plywood.

And if it ever gets wet, it expands and comes apart.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    What size is your top going to be? I picked up a 24" x 48" x 1-1/8 thick top at Lowes for less then 30 bucks if memory serves me.

Patriot

Dec 31, 2011
    Harford co.
    I went to home depot and bougt a 24'' piece of 2x12 out of the scrap bin for $0.50. I consider that money well spent. It is very solid and when finished off with a sander and some stain looks very good.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    MDF is horrible for work surface since anything spilled will be absorbed and ultimately break down the resin that binds the fibers. I would go particle board if you have to be cheap, plywood if you have some cash and if you want something really nice a flush solid slab door if your work surface is 36 x 80.

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    ..again, original plan was plywood topping the MDF. Read the whole thread. Thanks for all the responses. I'll mostly likely go with 2 pieces of plywood. Bench is going to be 7'x2'8" with shelving and peg board at the rear. 2 presses mounted on the top.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    ..again, original plan was plywood topping the MDF. Read the whole thread. Thanks for all the responses. I'll mostly likely go with 2 pieces of plywood. Bench is going to be 7'x2'8" with shelving and peg board at the rear. 2 presses mounted on the top.

I would go larger I have similar bench setup and 36X80 gets crowded quickly.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

I would go larger I have similar bench setup and 36X80 gets crowded quickly.

Have you considered using a solid-core door 'blank'?????

32"x 80" or 36"x80" Doors can be up to 2" thick.
    Now THAT would be one helluva workbench!!

One edge (hinge side) will be 90°. The latch side will have a slight angle (where door opens/closes).
    A quick pass with a router and a straight bit will take that bevel/angle off.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For serious workbenches, I make the top out of 2x6 with a plywood top.

When you make the bench, think about making it higher than normal. It puts the presses at a better height. I forget how high and am out of town right now. I will post when I get back.

Also, don't make it too deep (wide) as it will be hard to reach things on the back. I made mine 24" deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom